PDA

View Full Version : Estimating Construction Costs

Islwe
03-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Does anyone know how to estimate construction costs on a house which might have to be taken down to the foundation? As opposed to new construction which seems to be fairly easy to estimate per square foot, what is the value of having the foundation, water, sewer, gas & electricity already present and running to the house? And of course, since the landscaping is already present, there wouldn't be that expense which would add to new construction costs.

THANKS AGAIN!

divineinc
03-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Well, I'd start with figuring out how much it would take to remove the existing house (labor, machinery, dump charges, etc). That might counter the discounts of having said plumbing, electric, gas, etc. already running to the house. Are you doing any of the work yourself (framing, trim, running utilities in the house, roofing, painting)? If so, that will help obviously from your final construction costs. It might be just as easy to have a General Contractor take the time out to walk through it and address any and all concerns or ideas you have. Seems like your simplest bet.

Islwe
03-18-2008, 01:15 AM
It might be just as easy to have a General Contractor take the time out to walk through it and address any and all concerns or ideas you have. Seems like your simplest bet.

You're so right. Got contractor out today and have much better sense of things. THANKS.

Gino
03-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Care to share your new perspective?

Islwe
03-20-2008, 12:31 AM
Care to share your new perspective?

my new perspective .... I did learn it would easier and result in a more stable, energy efficient house, and probably even cheaper if we removed the current house (salvaging as much as possible) and rebuild on the site. But from what I learned today the odds of getting permission to do that seem extremely remote and very time consuming with no guarantees of a positive outcome. Personal situation doesn't present me with that kind of time to spend process especially when it might not even pan out.

Haven't found that "perfect" lot yet and am back to looking for a "move in ready" house ideally between 1400-1800 sq. ft.

A lot of things haven't been going too well in this area lately, but I have a feeling that something is just about to break and am feeling hopeful to have good news soon.