PDA

View Full Version : Minature Poodle

artteacher
05-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Well, as the fates would have it, my hubby and I rescued a minature poodle last night that was running the wrong way toward 4 lane rush hour traffic down an expressway exit ramp,,,It was quite an ordeal, as the little creature was terrified,,,A kind man behind me in the traffic pulled his truck across the exit ramp and the traffic backed up on the expressway,,,,Together, we were able to capture the dog,,,,:)

The cruelty of some humans never ceases to amaze me,,,,,I truly believe that the dog had given up and had a death wish,,,:(

Anyway, we took the little being straight to the vet, who shaved off all the totally matted hair, removed the burs and ticks and administered shots and meds,,,,The end result is that she has quit shaking and is eatting and recovering today,,,,I actually saw a small tail wag this morning,,,,;)

She is a whitish buff color and the vet said he thinks she is a full blood minature poodle,,,,We are already outnumbered two to one with animals in our house, so pending that I don't locate a frantic owner in the next few days, she will be up for adoption for a small fee around $50.00 (good deal for a new loving owner as the vet bill was a whopper),,,,She is a sweet, sweet little girl who needs a quiet place to rest,,,,She would be a perfect pet for someone wanting to love a small dog, who is kind in spite of all she's been through,,,

I will keep you posted!,,,:)

jdelo
05-17-2008, 01:12 AM
BLESS YOU, sometimes the right person just happens by, or is sent there?

Any clue to age estimate or spayed? Some may want to know, Good luck, bet a nickel you will not find owner. Makes me crazy too.

artteacher
05-17-2008, 07:18 AM
I don't know if she is spayed,,,I asked the vet that, but it was after 10pm or so when we finally got out of there and they got distracted by something else, so I never got an answer,,,I looked at her tummy yesterday and there is a faint scar line, so I am assuming she is spayed,,,,(Time will tell because it's Spring,,:D),,I may also take her back by the vet to check,,,She is not a young dog,,,I would say in human years she is in her 50s or 60s,,,,,She does appear to be house broken, because not one accident yet,,:),,Also, she's good on a leash,,,,For a tiny little dog, she has a great appetite,,,Yesterday, I marveled at the amount of food she consumed,,,Today, I am going to ration it,,,,She needs a cute French name, I thought about Celeste, but I would need to ask Celeste her opinion about that,,,,,;)

Sarah Moore
05-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Did the vet check for a microchip. If not, you can take her by the shelter and the staff will be happy to check to see if she has one.

Gigi
05-17-2008, 09:37 PM
How small is she? I have a Yorkie that is about 4 pounds who is very lonely...:(

artteacher
05-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Did the vet check for a microchip. If not, you can take her by the shelter and the staff will be happy to check to see if she has one.
Thanks so much, Sarah!,,,,I thought of that when they were bathing her, so the vet checked already and unfortunately there's not one,,,

artteacher
05-17-2008, 10:40 PM
How small is she? I have a Yorkie that is about 4 pounds who is very lonely...:(

She's a little thing, Gigi,,,,,,,I can scoop her up and hold her easily with one hand,,,I just went and measured her,,,,She is approximately 10 1/2" from floor to the top of her back,,,,I also had to give her a belly rub :),,,Pretty sure, 99.9 percent, that there is a scar there from being spayed,,,,Yorkies' are so cute!!,,,We could maybe try it and see how it works and if it doesn't, then I would still take her back and find her a new home,,,,Do you have a yard that's fenced?,,,,I can say, she is definitely housebroken, because there has not been one accident and she goes on cue,,,,Also, I have to tell you, she sometimes does fake squats (she will pee then fake another pee a few minutes later) just to please you,,,,;)

Gigi
05-17-2008, 10:54 PM
No yard:( Our Yorkie is puppy pad trained and when we take him out he has to be on a leash since we live in a townhouse. We may have to get him a kitty...

artteacher
05-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Gigi, You are a kind soul,,,:),,,,,I have two cats in addition to two large dogs, not counting our French Poodle guest,,,,,,It's an important decision, so think it over and talk to your hubby about it,,,,If you do decide to try the Poodle, then she is small enough and does extremely well on a leash as well as a lap,,;),,,I have a small metal fence system that I could let you have,,,,I bought it years ago, when I was showing some Pointer puppies for adoption at Pet's Mart,,,It is in sections that you can configure different ways and would probably do the trick if you have a courtyard or patio area?,,,,

Anyway, I am not in a hurry,,,My hubby took a poop sample in to the vet last Friday and the results won't be back in till tommorow,,,,Since "Frenchie" was out and about in the world, we wanted to make sure that no worm medication was needed,,,,I am keeping her separate from my dogs (which I will probably continue to do anyway) right now until I know the results,,,:eek:

She is very interested, however, in my dogs and is starting to want to play with them, so I think she would do well with other dogs, especially small ones,,,,;)

I really need to give her a cute name,,,,I wanted to try a French name,,,,I thought today about Gidget (as in the flying nun)?,,,,:rolleyes:

Sue Glave
05-19-2008, 09:34 AM
Careful, I always heard if you named a pet, it became YOURS! ( or you became theirs)
But if you don't mind taking that chance :), and since Gigi and Celeste are taken already, how about Cheri` (did I spell that right?)

05-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Artteacher, thank you from fellow rescuers. My ex-husband used to say I was going to meet my death by attempting rescues like that. I always said "Just be sure the ANIMAL gets to the vet." Thank you, thank you. Linda Winter

artteacher
05-19-2008, 10:27 PM
Careful, I always heard if you named a pet, it became YOURS! ( or you became theirs)
But if you don't mind taking that chance :), and since Gigi and Celeste are taken already, how about Cheri` (did I spell that right?)

Don't worry, Sue,,,,I am a foster mother for sure!,,,,,Animals have already taken over my house,,,,,What's funny, is that the little poodle was actually barking at the big dogs today!,,,,A little tug on the leash did the trick and she quit,,,,My two large cow-like dogs had these looks on their faces like "What? You talking to me? What did I do?",,,,Now that the poodle has gotten more comfortable, her personality is coming out more,,,,She definitely has spunk!,,,LOL!

I used to work with a really nice lady named Cheri,,,,That will definitely be in the final vote,,,,Thanks so much for the suggestion!,,,,:)

artteacher
05-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Artteacher, thank you from fellow rescuers. My ex-husband used to say I was going to meet my death by attempting rescues like that. I always said "Just be sure the ANIMAL gets to the vet." Thank you, thank you. Linda Winter

Oh,,,Thanks LW!,,,Thank you so much, for all you do for innocent creatures!!,,:)

Her poop test came back negative today,,,,You know you are getting punchy when you get excited about poop tests!,,,,LOL!!!!!,,,,Now, she just needs to grow back some of the hair they shaved to get rid of the matted hair,,,,When she starts looking better, I will post a pic for you guys!,,,,;)

artteacher
05-23-2008, 01:14 PM
I am happy to report that although she doesn't have a name yet, she has now learned what "Go lay down" means,,,Give me a couple of weeks, some shaved hair grown back in, the completion of her medications to resolve some of her problems from being on the street and some "class room time" with her and she will be ready for adoption!,,,:)

celeste
05-23-2008, 11:26 PM

HUH? I'm taken? As in abducted or what? Actually I did receive home deliveres flowers today...ooo la la!

artteacher
05-24-2008, 05:58 PM
So, C, what do you think of having the poodle named Celeste?,,,If you don't want that, then I am cool with it,,,,Eventually, she is going to need a cute name,,,,Maybe I will do a poll with all the names suggested and we can vote,,,;)

celeste
05-24-2008, 07:52 PM
I'd love a poodle named Celeste! Remember, if she is truly French, she will give wet kisses & need accente gue et accente grave (SP?) over her name!

artteacher
05-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Thanks for being gracious, C!,,,,,I'll relay this to the poodle and get back with you,,;),,Thanks so much for the tip on consumption of food!!,,,,She has slowed down since yesterday and maybe I can leave food for her all the time now,,,,,I had never thought about how struggling or not knowing where her next meal would come from before would play out in her feeding habits now,,,You were right!

sparkleplenty
05-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Do you still have the dog? I have been looking for such a precious baby to love. I especially want a female, small little dog who wants tons of love. I still do not understand how to work this web site. Sooooooo call me @ 479-981-2999 and I will be very happy to speak with you. Thanks a bunch. Sparkelplenty

chou
05-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Cecile, Colette, Valerie, Violante, Hortense, Odile,Odette, Paulette, Mignon, Sylvie, Marcelle, "Mon Petit Chou" , Florence, Bridget, ...all names of French lady friends of mine! Bless you and your dear Hubby for rescuing this little angel ~~how about "Angelique"....? OK , Geekfesters, let's have a naming for this little Darling! sincerely Chou ho, P.S> ~~I have it!!!! Gi Gi !!

tizzy
05-25-2008, 04:32 PM
I like Chanel (like the perfume--is that how you spell it? :)). Also, Bella and Bebe.

artteacher
05-25-2008, 09:09 PM
You guys are all just the best people!!!,,,,Today, I talked to Sparkleplenty, from the above post and I am so excited to tell you that, barring unforeseen circumstances, the poodle is going to have a new and loving home soon!,,:cheerleader:,,,,I am going to finish the meds and sparkle her up like a French goddess for the big day, in about another week,,,,Also, every lovely name that has been suggested is going to be written down and given to her,,,,It truly is a privilege to know you all!,,,I'll post pics of the big day soon!,:)

celeste
05-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Whoopie! (Not a name, a sentiment, but it would be a cute doggy dear name, too...)

artteacher
06-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Just to let you all know, Sparkleplenty took the little poodle this morning and she is now with her new "mother"!,,,It was great to see both of them together and I think they will be a good match as the little dog was a sweetheart and so is her new Mom!!,,,,Good luck, Sparkleplenty, and please post some pics for us as soon as your new baby is ready!,,,Congrats and best wishes to you and your new best friend on your first day together!!,,,:)

celeste
06-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Aw, shucks, Karen, you're a great foster mom & kurt a wonder dad!

artteacher
06-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Shuckaroos, C,,,Thanks!,,,,Her new Mom will do much better than me though!,,,,I'm mommed out right now,,,,:snore:
Have a sweet evening and thanks for all your help!;)