PDA

View Full Version : Snakes....and the law.

The Fawn Whisperer
08-12-2008, 08:09 AM
In Arkansas, it is against the law to kill snakes. This includes copperheads. With that said...while helping out last night with yard work~~I came across the biggest damn copperhead I have ever laid my eyes on. And full of babies. Yep~~I did it and I confess--off with the head and those of the offspring and in the middle of the road lays the carcass this morning. Why not feed the crows while I am at it?! Do I feel guilty? Nope....Should I feel guilty?! I don't think so... Why? It was either the snake or me so... with that said~~it further states in the law that you have every right to protect yourself and your animals. I am asked this same question at least 10 times a day.
Ya'll be careful when doing yardwork....and carry a sharp shovel~~~or pack a pistol. :eek:
PS...Hope you are feeling better, JET.

JET
08-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Good morning. I'll be sending the bills to the state.......Hugggggsss

Teresa DeVito
08-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Glad you weren't bit Fawnie. Mornin ;)

How are you Jet?

Yip
08-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Can't blame you one little bit, Fawn. Ya done good.

Cheers, Jet man! Hope things are getting better for you.

pile
08-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Even with it's head cut off, a snake can still bite you! Be careful!

love,
jenny

pile
08-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Even with it's head cut off, a snake can still bite you! Be careful!

love,
jenny

Quiet One
08-12-2008, 11:30 AM
does that law cover politicians?
In Arkansas, it is against the law to kill snakes. This includes copperheads. With that said...while helping out last night with yard work~~I came across the biggest damn copperhead I have ever laid my eyes on. And full of babies. Yep~~I did it and I confess--off with the head and those of the offspring and in the middle of the road lays the carcass this morning. Why not feed the crows while I am at it?! Do I feel guilty? Nope....Should I feel guilty?! I don't think so... Why? It was either the snake or me so... with that said~~it further states in the law that you have every right to protect yourself and your animals. I am asked this same question at least 10 times a day.
Ya'll be careful when doing yardwork....and carry a sharp shovel~~~or pack a pistol. :eek:
PS...Hope you are feeling better, JET.

Max Boydstun
08-12-2008, 02:47 PM
does that law cover politicians?

Arkansas, Oklahoma, or Washington DC?:rolleyes:

shuggie
08-12-2008, 10:27 PM
There is a snake out there who just shed its' skin. Now, it is snaked.

Cindylou
08-12-2008, 10:33 PM
There is a snake out there who just shed its' skin. Now, it is snaked.

...........it's snaked.......................Not lost in translation............Funny.........just flippin funny :)

Kim Yonkee
08-12-2008, 11:03 PM
I'm trying to think... what is my stupidest snake story ever? There are so many choices... OK. How about this one?

A few years ago, I was working in the yard... hauling stuff all over the place in my little truck. I drove down the road-ette that goes from the house to the pig pen and found a BIG snake laying in the middle of the road...about as big around as my forearm, 4 or so feet long. I stopped. Got out.

The snake didn't move. I said, "move." The snake still didn't move so I tapped him lightly with my foot and said, "MOVE!"

The snake treated me to a view of the inside of his big white mouth and slithered into the bushes.

I finished my chores, went inside, and thought, "Huh. I wonder what kind of snake that was?" Looked him up. Called an Arkansas-native neighbor for confirmation.

Oops.

That there was a cottonmouth.

A couple of months ago, I was sitting in the basement... working on my computer... with the door open. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a snake disappearing underneath a piece of furniture. So I jumped up, said "No you don't," grabbed the part of the snake that hadn't disappeared yet, pulled... HARD... and dragged the snake back into the yard. It was a rattler. Uh... didn't see the rattle when I was diving for the tail.

Most of the time, the only snakes I see 'round here are harmless snakes... that is... harmless to me (though they're pretty enthusiastic about the fish and toads in the pond.) I've never seen a copperhead up here (though I do cut a pretty wide berth around the woodpile in the summer.)

Max Boydstun
08-13-2008, 06:49 AM
Kim, I didn't know you were a snake wrangler too. You might make a few bucks off of JET by hearding up & removing the little varmits from his place.

PMilam
08-13-2008, 09:30 AM
I wised up and started putting my boots on, when messing around places where the little nippers might be hanging out.

Of course every time I stick my sandaled toe into some ground cover.. I get the creeps!

Shoes.. leather shoes... it's cool enough now, anyway.

Joe E
08-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Kim, I may have killed off most of the Copperhead population up on that hill years ago. They were ALWAYS in the wood pile. About twenty or so, I lost count. It has been a long time though. Look for them coming back.

MotherMoon12
08-13-2008, 12:21 PM
There are still plenty of copperheads up here on The Hill. There was one right by the front door that Hawthorne found recently. I yell at the kids all the time to be careful.

sweetness&light
08-13-2008, 03:26 PM
So there are laws that you can't kill any snake in Arkansas? Ok, fine. Certainly, there has to be equal rights for us. There must be a law against snakes biting and/or killing us....penalty of death to them, of course. They bite/kill us, we do the same....preferably not biting them, though.

To me, ANY snake is a threat of death...I don't care how supposedly beneficial they are....not to me, they aren't.

They are slithering death machines just waiting for the right time. There is no way in hell they are more afraid of us than we are of them. No way.

The Fawn Whisperer
08-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Back to my original post :

"it further states in the law that you have every right to protect yourself and your animals. I am asked this same question at least 10 times a day".

sweetness&light
08-13-2008, 03:41 PM
Why must I always have to look for those slithery creatures? I want them all on notice we will come after them if they show their pointy or box nosed snouts. I don't care about the rattling; hell, you don't have time to do a proper assessment of their exact location anyway. They don't even count to three before the creepers strike.

Kill them all. They're on their way to kill you or your animals.

(How's that, Fawnie? I think I covered all the bases of why we had to kill the snakes because we're in immediate danger)

lunarmist
08-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Hey, S&L? How do you feel about rats?? ;)

lunarmist
08-13-2008, 04:31 PM
I have made it a point to educate myself on the differences between venomous and non-venomous snakes. When a snake near my home is obviously not venomous, I will leave it alone or guide it away. When I am hiking in the woods and I see a venomous snake, I leave it alone. (The woods are it's home, not mine.) When I see an obviously venomous snake near my house, I eliminate it.

Gaylord Wright
08-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Hey, S&L? How do you feel about rats?? ;)

Hey, keep me out of this! ;)

Annie2
08-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Sweety, I feel the same way about spiders. Forget this "relocation" shit. "Just scoop it up and put it outside" my ass. Just so it can live to reproduce and sneak up on me again?
LM, you didn't ask me, but I'll tell you how I feel about rats. When I brought my youngest son home, I saw a rat in my house the 1st day. I knew it would be back so I waited quietly, gun in hand. I couldn't sleep. Sure enough, about 2am, I got that sucker.

lunarmist
08-13-2008, 05:04 PM
Annie...a gun? Why not just get a snake??? ;)

Rags
08-13-2008, 05:15 PM
There are around 7000 people bit by venomous snakes each year, of which around 14 die.

Six times more people die from lightening strikes each year... around 90.

My grandfather said it best... "Leave them snakes alone, and they'll leave you alone. Now get back to work!"-- all while standing in a rice field filled with water moccasins and cotton mouths.

Annie2
08-13-2008, 05:28 PM
LM. I have had snakes as pets, but didn't have one at that time. With a newborn baby, won't be no rat.

Gaylord Wright
08-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Annie has always got her gun. Only a fewl or a snake would cross Annie Oakley.
;)

sweetness&light
08-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Not crazy about rats, but there's no law saying you can't get rid of them unless they're a danger to you or your animals.

They're why man invented the mouse and the rat trap. No need for snakes.

Rags,
Tell that story to Jet about if you don't bother a snake, it won't bother you. Guess it all depends on your definition of bother.

Annie2
08-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Annie has always got her gun. Only a fewl or a snake would cross Annie Oakley.
;)
But I'm a Pacifist at heart.