PDA

View Full Version : Winnie, Trooper, Punkin

jdelo
08-21-2008, 12:13 PM
How is every one getting along with new families and new doggies?
Nosey ACO need to know please???????????????????? pics too would be great!

I love you all for giving these special doggies homes, let me know if i can help, Missy and Trooper Chips, and Punkin needs last dose of worm meds just in case

And Janet, i have #9, come and see quick!

Eurekajunebug
08-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Trooper has fit in just perfect in the Freeman household. I can't imagine life without him. It seems like he's always been here. I'm so glad you posted that heart-felt plea for help for him last Friday night, Jan. I had been wanting another dog for a long time, but just never got around to getting one. So many cats took up all my time and attention. When I read your posting, I knew it was time to get off my fanny and get me a dog.

Now it's time to take him out into the yard for his last little walk-around tonight. Oh....while I was taking him on a short walk on Hillside Avenue this afternoon, a very nice lady named Melody stopped her car and asked, "Are you the lady on Geekfest? Is that the dog you adopted?" We had a nice little chat, and Trooper got even more loving. It was a very pleasant experience.

jdelo
08-21-2008, 11:40 PM
You are his Trooper, his Guardian Angel and his Savior. just enjoy him!

jdelo
08-27-2008, 02:58 PM
A sad day today in the life of Winnie, and Missy's Family, Winnie was returned to me today, due to behavior that they were not willing to work with and help her out with. Perhaps, with their busy schedule this is not the right time for a dog, because dogs take a huge commitment and willingness to work with them a little, esp these homeless dogs that have been on their own.
Winnie, it seems, has abandonment issues, which living here in the house with me did not come to the surface, because she was never alone. If i was not here, she was with dogs and never chewed up anything, at anytime. Not even toys. But now, when she is left all alone, she tears up furniture and shoes, and that is never really fun., for the dog or the family. I suggested a quick fix for her, to kennel her safely away from things, when they are gone.
But Missy thinks they are cruel, as most of us know who kennel train our dogs is not the case. But Missy is entitled to her ideas as we all are. But now, Winnie has lost yet another home, for having lots of good qualities, but one or two not so good qualities, which will only continue to foster her fears of being alone.

Please folks, know when you adopt dogs from me or the shelter, they are not perfect creatures, and alot of them have some issues that need training and patience, and a real commitment to the quality of life they deserve, esp considering their circumstances that have them in this homeless situation to begin with. They will be a true blue companion, esp these dogs, if you can stick with it and help them adjust. Just ask anyone who has done it and they will tell you how loving and grateful these dogs are.

So now, Winnie is at the GSHS so she can have another chance and one good thing out of all this, is now, we know she has this problem and anyone who adopts her in the future will be aware of it and cam deal with it, or now.
Remember folks, she is a black and brindle dachshund, female, young, 1 to 2 years, so there is lots of time to help her with her separation issues.
Go see her, and take a chance, one thing i know, she is very loving and playful and mostly a happy dog, just doesn't like to be alone and who does?

Missy, Thank You for trying her, and loving and caring for her and i am sorry it did not work out for you and your family. when things settle down for you all, perhaps you can try again with a little doggie, and seriously, read up or talk to folks who kennel train their dogs, some dogs love it, it is their very own space where they feel safe and comfortable in a busy world and not only was it bad for you guys to come home to messes and holes in furniture and shoes, it was not good for her to do it. She could swallow stuff and make her self sick, or choke or a dozen other things, so the kennel brings you peace of mind to not come home to a mess, but also to not find your dog, sick or dead from choking or chewing cords and zapping her self with electricity. A win-win, for you both. But i am glad you tried with her and now we know more than we did, all of us learned something and that is a good thing, always.

Eurekajunebug
08-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Trooper is thriving. We go on our first walk about 6:15 every morning down Hillside Ave to Spring Garden and then to Grand Ave. Another walk around our yard around noon, and another walk on Grand Ave. in the evening. I'm enjoying the walks as much as he is. He got a bath today and an application of Frontline to get rid of fleas and ticks. We made an appointment for next Thursday with Dr. Pike for neutering and chip placement. As soon as that's all done, I'll get a photo to you as well as copies of his records. He's doing really well with the cats. This afternoon, he was asleep by my feet at the computer desk and 4 cats were sleeping soundly on chairs in the same room. As you know, cats only sleep around people or other animals when they're comfortable with them, so that's a good sign. One cat even touches noses with Trooper. So, we're making great progress with a great dog. There's a fatty, puffy place on the back on one of his legs. The vet's assistant looked at it and said she just thinks it's just fat deposit. Dr. Pike will take a closer look next Thursday. Other than that, everything is fine.

jdelo
08-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Thank You dear lady. Will you adopt me if a turn into a cat or German Shepherd?
And have you noticed you are the only one that comes to this site?
Poor Winnie and Missy, have parted ways, she brought her back because she was chewing up shoes and furniture when she was left alone in the house. Abandonment issues and not uncommon in homeless dogs, takes patience and time and/or a kennel, neither of which Missy had at this time. Winnie is now at GSHS and i hope not for long. Poor Peanut as i called him and Snoopy as GSHS calls him, is still there and it makes me crazy he cannot be on grass and is locked up on concrete all day. I want to go get him and bring him back here. Way too sensitive for my own good sometimes.
Thrilled Trooper is doing so well and he is working out with the cats. I will never know what got to me that convinced me he was worth a second chance, but i am so glad he did and you all are one big happy family now.
Can't wait to see him and hope it is soon.
I am tired, rough day and a baby coming tomorrow i hope and pray, and all are healthy in the end. My daughter had a hard time with her 1st and got lucky and survived to do it again, scares me to bits,
Thanks for checking in and giving me updates, i just do not forget these guys, even is i only had him a minute. Happy, Healthy days for you all.

Jalex
08-29-2008, 12:37 AM
PunkN is Good~! Too~! He is a bit fussy with Sprout, but Sprout gives him room...PunkN also loves the buns, and doesn't mess with the cats...

My only concern is he seems MUCH older than 8 years...not that this is a problem...BUT...he is more like 13/14 years in health, etc.

Is he?

Eurekajunebug
08-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Thank You dear lady. Will you adopt me if a turn into a cat or German Shepherd?
And have you noticed you are the only one that comes to this site?
Poor Winnie and Missy, have parted ways, she brought her back because she was chewing up shoes and furniture when she was left alone in the house. Abandonment issues and not uncommon in homeless dogs, takes patience and time and/or a kennel, neither of which Missy had at this time. Winnie is now at GSHS and i hope not for long. Poor Peanut as i called him and Snoopy as GSHS calls him, is still there and it makes me crazy he cannot be on grass and is locked up on concrete all day. I want to go get him and bring him back here. Way too sensitive for my own good sometimes.
Thrilled Trooper is doing so well and he is working out with the cats. I will never know what got to me that convinced me he was worth a second chance, but i am so glad he did and you all are one big happy family now.
Can't wait to see him and hope it is soon.
I am tired, rough day and a baby coming tomorrow i hope and pray, and all are healthy in the end. My daughter had a hard time with her 1st and got lucky and survived to do it again, scares me to bits,
Thanks for checking in and giving me updates, i just do not forget these guys, even is i only had him a minute. Happy, Healthy days for you all.

I'm sorry that little Winnie did not make the cut in Missy's home. My son has a pit bull, and they have had to kennel him off and on for years. He's a very pampered dog....has his own $400 mattress on the floor beside my son's bet, etc. So, it's no wonder that he has separation anxiety when he's left alone. He will chew up sandals, etc. when that happens. So in the kennel he must go, and he likes it there. He feels safe with his blanket and toys in Time Out with him. That's what my son calls it when Joe has to go to the kennel. He tells Joe that he has to go to Time Out. That's all he has to say. Joe goes right in there and settles down. He's pretty good most of the time and doesn't have to be contained. It's just that my son and daughter-in-law move because of her job every three years or so, and that throws Joe into a tailspin. After a month or so in the kennel every time they leave the house, he settles down, and the destruction doesn't start again until the next move. A kennel is not a bad thing or cruel. It's a safe place for a dog. I wish Missy had at least tried one, but, like you, I understand that she must have been overwhelmed. Dogs do take time and patience when they have been traumatized like Winnie has been. I hope Winnie finds a home soon.

jdelo
08-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Me too, Junebug, languishing at the shelter is a horrible thought to me. I know they are fed, have clean cages and a roof over their head and that is better than being on the street, but locked up and no lap to smuggle on or hugs or walks. I guess because I am claustrophobic, it just bothers me for them to be cooped up long periods of time.

I used to think like Missy, but the last puppy i brought home, was a chewer and i kennel raised him and he loved his kennel. At night he would roam all night and get into stuff and play under the bed. I had to be at work at 7am and it was a very physical job and him keeping me up all night was a no go. So in the crate he went, and for years, i would say, "Let's go to bed now, and he would run and get the door with his paw and open it and run in and turn around and sit down and wait for his night time treat for going to the ctae. He was a pug dog, so it was all very cute. And now after that, i will always kennel train a puppy. It is safe for them, not chewing cords and such and relaxing for you to know your house is gonna look just like it did when you left. I love kennels for dogs.
And i am sorry Missy didn't have the time or energy to try it, she has alot going on with her parents, so maybe later she will have more time for a dog. It is alot of work.

Have a great weekend and enjoy your family. I will be waiting for the phone call from my daughter that she has a new baby girl, and they are both well and healthy, that did not happen withthe ist, it got that way, but was very scary for a while. I hope and pray she skips that part this time. If i am lucky i will just get to hang out here with the dogs and stay off the road.
Blessing Sweet Lady, to you and yours.

island2some
08-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Hello Dear Sweet Jan-
I know you are feeling beat up today, and wanted to share with you some heartfelt thoughts of love and compassion to you.
You are doing a great job taking in these homeless creatures, and I do check in regularly just so I can anticipate your needs, then get a donation to you.
I may not post a lot, but know everytime I look in sweet Jazz's face that I think of you too. Today, Jazz and Cloud had a lovely romp in the yard, followed with a nap side by side. Then, they got to explore the groceries I bought, and I can swear they know what they are getting for dinner tonight!
They will both be getting a bath (Jazz loves the bathtub..while I wash her she sits with her eyes closed and she thinks she is at the spa)...Cloud our Great Pyrennes enjoys the whole ordeal, but he does better with a warm soapy shower, and LOTS of rinsing!!
They also get a special treat after all this cleansing!
Tomorrow, frontline and heartworm medication...they both now know the drill.

Anyway, I do always look for your posts, Jan.
Hang in there, Baby!!

Sarah Moore
08-29-2008, 07:55 PM
... languishing at the shelter is a horrible thought to me. I know they are fed, have clean cages and a roof over their head and that is better than being on the street, but locked up and no lap to smuggle on or hugs or walks.

Hi, Jan. It's not quite that bad. ;) We all would love to see every animal in the shelter have a large yard to run and play in and a family to love. We work hard to find those forever homes. But, most of the dogs at the shelter get out for a walk or a play period in the large runs out back every day. They really enjoy each other's company, their toys, and their play time. Staff walk the dogs a lot and we have volunteer dog walkers who come on a regular basis. We can always use more volunteers to walk and socialize the animals though. The cats and dogs get lots of hugs and love from the staff and visitors every day.

Hope things go well with your daughter and grandbaby.

jdelo
08-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Oh Sara, i know that you all do the best that you can and i know you all care about those dogs, more than anyone else has, and if you had read on, it is just my thing of hating closed in place, i hardly ever do an elevator, i am in no way dishing anything you guys and gals do out there, and we just have to keep working together to get this fixed somehow and my dream of dreams is that shelters and dog catchers don't have a job because all the dog and cats are cared for and have forever homes with yards and families that do everthing that their chosen pets need.
I am a member of GSHS and have been off and on for years, twice i have moved away and got another membership when i moved back, i have tried to get jobs there, i support you completely and Buddy's trial netted GSHS a financial setlement, and that was my doing, I appreciate the work you all do, and on a smaller scale, i know it ain't easy and often not very much fun at all, Please, i am sorry if it felt like i was complaining about the shelter, i am not, who can dish you unless they do what you do, i care a great deal for all of you that do the best for any animal. I know they are cared for, it is just a wish and i know you wish the same thing, for them. It is just not a perfect world yet... I did not intend to hurt your feelings, i am truly sorry if i did, and if you could design and build a shelter with unlimited funds, it would be different, wouldn't it? Just a wish and a hope Sarah, no disrespect intended.

Mr.Nosey
08-31-2008, 07:45 AM
Jan Good new this weekend 8/30 Winnie got adopted to a good home. Just letting you know have a good day:D

mls1271
08-31-2008, 08:12 AM
I just want to say that I do not think kennling is a cruel thing. What I could not handle was knowing Winnie had been mistreated in the past and being an older dog,,,,,not a puppy, I did not want her to think we were mistreating her. Yes, our schedules are much to busy right now for a dog and we learned that with Winnie. I did love her very much and we do want a new dog in the future.

We now know we want a puppy though and try the kennel approach with it in the future when we do have more time. We seem to think we do have time in our lives but just sitting down and thinking about it our lives are way to crazy right now anyway.

Jan, thank you again for all your help and we hope Winnie has a great neew home!

jdelo
08-31-2008, 12:29 PM
Hi Missy and all.
I am sorry if I misspoke, i thought when our brought her back you told me you thought crating her sounded "Cruel" to you and I proceeded to tell you I used to think the same thing until I actually did it with a puppy Ihad that liked to chew everything in the house including cords and I kenneled him to save him from electricity me from going poor replacing shoes and furniture.

No harm intended to you, Winnie had very good care with you and your family and I know that for sure and the win in this is that Winnie does have a new home, see post above, just Saturday and the new family is now aware of her behavior and adopted her knowing that ahead and will probably not return her for that. So, without you "FOSTERING" her we will call it now, we would not know those things about her, so you helped Winnie and me and yourself, learning the huge responsibility having a pet is, esp. a homeless recovered dog because they often have issues due to their mistreatment and that often does not come out until they get in a home. For instance, from the shelter, no one would know they chews furniture or shoes, because they are not exposed to that, and when left alone they are for sure kenneled, and here they are either outside, kenneled or with other dogs when I leave the house.
Bottom Line you did us all a favor and we all learned and that is a good thing, so Thank You. I wish i could have more fosters so we could learn even more about them. Every time one goes to a home a say a little prayer that they won't kick their own butts so to speak and do something that will cause anyone to bring them back.
Now you will have some time to gather up the things you now know you will need and read up on how to use a crate and be just that more informed and ready when you decide to get one, So I Thank You for trying and she has a home now and we will cross our fingers she stays there and is loved and cared for as much as you guys gave to her.

I hope when you get another pup you will still consider the GSHS
again. They get lots of puppies and do everything they can for them as far as spaying and shots, and that is what the adoption fee covers, less money it would cost you to have to do it all by your self and they look after them and know their temperament and health. And if I get any small pups in, I will let you know.
On, Chester has a home too, with a guy out in the country where he can get plenty of exercise.

So Good Endings all around, i am just sorry you guys got attached to her and had to give her up, but know she will be taken care of and let the kids know that they helped her so much and that was good for Winnie and them.

Mr.Nosey
08-31-2008, 07:20 PM
The new parents have just now taken her from GSHS and they love her. She is now moving to Mo. Up northern part of Mo. They spent the last two days getting to know her coming in and walking her I even let them take her off grounds "after adopting" and go around town showing thier new kid off . They came in today and said she is the best dog "kid" they have ever had and will send Pic's to us once the get settled . I will copy all pic's and save some for you. Thanks for bringing her inand lets hope the rest of GSHS animals get the same kind of home..:)

Mr.Nosey
08-31-2008, 07:32 PM
I send a lady for the game and forestery service concerning the black female with beautiful eyes did she ever get a hold of you?

jdelo
09-01-2008, 12:30 AM
She called and left message, i was out side with dogs. I called her back, twice, and have not heard from her yet. I am guessing she may be off for the weekend and will get to me in a day or two.
I hope, because this blue eyed girl is quite a handful, quite willful and full of it and talks back. She is very vocal and has chewed up one of my cell phones and the charger it was plugged into and neither will not work now. Thankfully she does not mind the crate when she back talks me and gets at barking at the dogs to play with her and they back off and she stays at it.
I have laughed alot at her though, and she hasn't picked any fights even though she is trying hard to be boss. Not happening i keep telling her. I call her Spirit and sometimes it is Spookey. Those eyes on her very black face and body can be a little erie sometimes and she makes a lot of eye contact. Nothing shy about this girl. Will not surprise me at all if Dana finds what she is looking for.

Eurekajunebug
09-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Trooper will be neutered tomorrow. Poor guy...he doesn't suspect a thing. Tomorrow afternoon he'll have a whole new outlook on life, and that's for the best.

What a miserable day! He and I took a short walk this morning...big golf umbrella over us both. Don took him out again before he left for work. I'm hoping that it will slack off a little bit before his last walk around 6. Looking out my window right now, it doesn't look like much hope for that though. We'll go out, one way or another.

We thought we could buy a chip from the shelter and have Dr. Pike insert it for us. That's what we were told at the vet's office the other day, but Don called the shelter today and they said, no, you have to buy the chip from them and have it inserted there too. So, we'll do that Friday or Monday. Then we'll be all caught up with what needs to be done for Trooper.

jdelo
09-03-2008, 04:50 PM
You are a very good pet owner, i have to call everyone else to see if they have followed through with agreements. But so far so good, about 98 % have complied and that is at least 5 dogs, that cannot contribute to the population of more dogs, that were not spayed or neutered before they came through my hands, small number indeed, but a start.

My dogs are making me crazy today, go to the door and look at me and i open it and they look at me again and turn around and go back in the house. I decided a little water will not hurt anyone, and took them anyway and one did nothing and came back in and used the floor, little shit, right in front of me, like it is my fault it is raining. I have two dogs going for the big cut Friday and they have no clue either, but it is a win-win, so too bad so sadd, it is happening.

I feel so bad for the dogs outside, they have houses but now the yard is a mud pit, and i emptied there play pool yesterday and it is full and overlflowing now. Trooper will be fine, and Pike can do the chip but it is quite more expensive than shelter, and after neuter, take paper to prove it to city, downstairs and a city license will be $3.00 enstead of $10.00 if not nertered.
Then you will be the perfect example of a city legal pet owner! and Trooper will jingle when he walks, be sure and register chip, esp when you move.

Wish all my dogs, could get homes like you have given Trooper. MY goal and desire for all stray and lost pets.Thank you for letting me know it can be done.

Eurekajunebug
09-03-2008, 05:37 PM
I feel good that we, too, are at least contributing to one dog not fathering litter after litter of little puppies. I've done the same for the cat population. We now have 14 neutered and spayed cats (all strays or kittens of strays) inside the house, and the tom cat outside is next. He has obviously decided that he wants to be our cat now. He is here in the yard all the time instead of coming and going; disappearing for days at a time over the last 2 years. He's very affectionate now instead of running off every time we step outside the door. In the past he's gotten pretty ripped up in cat fights, but that's going to stop. Muggsie's fighting and mating days are just about over. I'll get Trooper taken care of first, and then it will be Muggsie's time. We'll get his shots and his wellness check too and bring him inside.

jdelo
09-03-2008, 11:00 PM
You are an Angel sent to caretake these lost and homeless kitties and dog, and what a dog he is, and will be for the care and love you give to him.

Have a nice wet walk this evening? I did, and it was quite nice actually.

Eurekajunebug
09-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Trooper was neutered today. He's doing just fine. Doesn't even seem to notice that something important is missing from his appendages. Dr. Pike also withdrew fluid from a puffy place on one of his "knees." Lying on hard surfaces caused it. I think Dr. Pike called it a seroma. He said it's a build-up of serum and fluids and will probably come back. Trooper got an antibiotic because we don't want that incision to get infected. His skin is still dry in places. We got more shampoo and a leave-in conditioner for that problem. Eye infection cleared up nicely. He now weighs 67 pounds...up from 62 or 63 pounds, I think. He's getting there. Tomorrow we'll go to the Humane Shelter for the chip and stop by City Hall for his license. After all that, Jan, I'll take his photo, and make copies of his papers for you. He's been sleeping a lot since he got home. Castration takes a lot of wind out of anybody. He's asleep now, and there are four sleeping kitties in the same room. It's working. I knew it would. It just takes patience and close monitoring of the situation. We're doing good.

Muggsie, the outside stray, is becoming more loving every day and is giving indications that, finally, he wants to come inside. Even though he appreciated the cardboard box with old towels that I put on the back porch for him, he did not like that rain. I think he's getting older, and his old bones can't handle cold and damp anymore. We'll bring him in for good before cold weather sets in. I think that after that, we'll have to put up a "Feline No Vacancy" sign. There will be no more room at the inn. We're at our limit now.

jdelo
09-05-2008, 06:05 PM
I think i would put that sign out for now, I can imagine what it costs you big old heart to feed that bunch of babies. Don't tell me, none of my business but i am honered to know you as a person and and an animal lover and a helper or the problem, plaquing this and alot of communities that way too many animals out there needing help and homes. That is 15 or 16 off the street and very healthy, happy and loved and cared for. not many can say that and i am honered to know a small handful, that on their own, do this as you do, asking for nothing to help.
If a ever wiln the lottery i do not play, i will not ask for help either and every dog or cat i can get my hands on will be just like yours, for the rest of their life. Thank You and yours, for soing your part and more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got my one unneutered male, neutered today and he is not sleeping, and having a hard time keeping him still or quiet. HE is young though and was not out as long as i imagine Trooper was. HE is Champ, the little guy that was found at Passion Play grounds and lost his buddy when they came up to
get help. HE is such a gentle dog, and grateful for any tiny bit of anything he gets. He is neutered and has his shots now,and would make anyone a fine gentle dog and has been around young children and was alos very gentle and kind with them.
Hope he gets a home like Trooper has!