PDA

View Full Version : Reconstruction

PMilam
10-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Craig and I went to Springfield on the Sept 9th to see a plastic surgeon about the pain I've been experiencing from my scars.

Much of it is due to radiation, and there is nothing to be done about that.. but.. the scars, adhering to my chest wall are also a source of pain.
I had hoped that it could be simple as releasing them, then placing an implant to prevent it from happening again.
Because of the radiated skin that is not an option.

The only option is to do a 'tram flap'.. before the surgery, tho, comes tissue expansion. I will go in 4 weeks in a row. They will insert a small balloon sort of deal, and inject it with saline. This will allow my skin to stretch to accept the implants of belly fat and muscle. My first was on Oct. 8.

So, I may be celebrating my 63 birthday in the hospital! is good and bad news.. Dr Geter will take fat and muscle from my belly and place it on my chest. The good news is that I will have a flatter belly.. and I will be convex, instead of concave.. the bad news is that the surgery is about a 10 hr process.. microscopically, hooking up blood vessels, so that I have live tissue there.
And.. abdominal surgery is a bitch to recover from.

There are different kinds of tram flap.. one includes tunneling thru the belly/chest wall.. the one I am having is removal, and re attachment. I'm having removal of belly fat and muscle, then placing it in the breast area, and attaching blood vessels. In the tunneling, the blood vessels remain attached thruout the surgery.

As the pain has grown, over these 5 years, I'm going to risk it.. in hopes that when I do recover from this.. I will not have the pain.
Some trade off, huh.

Now that I've declared it.. {since writing this, I've started it} I'm a little scared of 10 hrs of surgery.. so, I would appreciate your prayers that I will come to peace with it, and come thru it feeling better than before.. to being pain free.

I'll post a few photos on another thread.. Warning!! They are very small, Photo Booth photos, so they should not jam up your dial up.

Got spare prayers... I'll take em!

Raven
10-12-2008, 06:13 PM
(((((((Patt)))))))))))))) I have loads of spare prayers.. You can have em..
Love and Light to YOU!!!

lunarmist
10-12-2008, 06:21 PM
I hope and pray you will go through the whole process with much less pain and fear and stress than you are anticipating. Love and light coming at you from this household for damn sure! http://img2.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/characters/character0009.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-cool-smileys.php)

MotherMoon12
10-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Hugs and kisses my beautiful sister friend.

DaBee
10-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Here's to being able to reconstruct to eliminate the pain; a wonderful marvel of modern medicine. Much love and ease focused on you, Patt.

tomkat
10-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Patt, I had the tram flap reconstruction at the same time my mastectomy was performed. That was almost 11 years ago, and I have never regretted my decision -- it was the best thing I ever did.
Mine involved the left breast only. I do sometimes wish that I had my right breast removed also -- it would be wonderful to not have to worry about cancer in it, and I would have 2 eternally perky breasts! That's right, the reconstructed breast is as perky as it ever was! Not to mention my still somewhat flat stomach!!!
I would be glad to talk to you about my experience, if you would like.

Grayfox
10-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Patt, remember when my niece had her first surgery about the time you had your last one? She has had the second mastectomy and reconstruction and is doing great. I know you will be too. And not to make light of your ordeal, but if you find that you need more stomach, fat I'm your girl. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

NRSG-U
10-12-2008, 08:31 PM
I pray that the hands of those who perform such miracle are steady and Direct..........I pray you have speedy recovery and one that leaves you feeling Beautiful about yourself......~~Many, many light blessings your way dear friend~~~~~~,,,,,and I hope my dots are not nearly as bad as my caps....:)

Sue Glave
10-13-2008, 07:06 AM
Sending our love and prayers to you, Patt!

silvercreek
10-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Patt, Sending prayers and love for you. Light filled recovery and hopes that this ends your pain. Kisses AND hugs