PDA

View Full Version : "Know your water"

Another Texan
02-20-2009, 10:00 PM
That's a bit of advice I got from my soon-to-be 89 year old Uncle Delbert. He's lived the subsistence country life almost all his years and I'm betting he knows (his shit).

I had hoped to go the rainwater collection route for our garden and future home but the weather has gotten too unpredictable and without a sizable roof structure of the correct material to collect off of, I'm now thinking I need to have a well drilled.

I know nothing of wells.

How? How much? Must I have electric in place? Etc, etc, etc...

DaBee
02-21-2009, 02:13 PM
The last time I checked it cost ....minimum....$10,000. to have a well dug to be able to reach a decent water table. Yes, electricity for the pump to work. I don't know about hand pumps in this area. 32' is the maximum depth for a hand pump and I imagine that it would take at least 100 feet to get to an adequate aquifer.

I am looking into setting up a large stock tank that will collect rain water off of a shed that I'll use to water the garden this year. I have no idea if that will be adequate, but I plan on intensely mulching (Ruth Stout style), so it shouldn't take a whole lot.

Gaylord Wright
02-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Ruth Stout was my kind of gardener with her no till methods. Lazy and smart.

DaBee
02-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Yep, Cap'n. Seems a lot of ol' mateys have been following her lead since the early 70's. We need to teach the young'uns....if'n they'll listen.

MotherMoon12
02-23-2009, 03:24 PM
My grandchildren are studying gardening in home school. They are so excited and ready to put their new knowledge into action.

DaBee
02-23-2009, 03:28 PM
That is just about the best bit of information that I have heard in a long time. Hip Hip Hooray to the home school teacher!