PDA

View Full Version : CFLs

Aux Arc
02-26-2009, 09:41 AM
I've found most compact fluorescent lamps from big box stores have poor color rendering, and have deported them out of the house, for exterior lighting only. But since I only leave outdoor lights on when I'm using them, they don't offer much energy savings.

For indoors, my favorite CFL brand is Satco. This Satco 13 watt bulb (http://www.lightbulbemporium.com/proddetail.asp?prod=S6202) has very good color rendering, and was rated best by Good Housekeeping Magazine. It's slightly warmer in color than this one (http://www.lightbulbemporium.com/proddetail.asp?prod=S6203), which gives off a slightly whiter light closer to that of a halogen light. I like the second one better for reading. This one (http://www.lightbulbemporium.com/proddetail.asp?prod=S6204) is a good replacement for 100watt bulbs.

To quickly calculate the incandescent equivalent of a CFL:
Multiply the CFL wattage by 4.
Example: A 15 watt CFL gives off about the same light as a 60 watt incandescent.

Do you use CFLs?
If so, do you have any particular brands you prefer?

Michael Walsh
02-26-2009, 10:25 AM
I replaced four 60-watt incandescents over the bathroom vanity with four 15-watt CFLs (Sylvania's) and am NOT pleased. They're not as bright and I'll probably have to go up to 75-watt equivalents.

I put a 15-watt CFL bug light on the porch. It's not as bright either, but I can live with it.

I want to replace my dimmer-controlled track lights with CFLs, too. But the only dimmable CFL I could find was a 24-watt (100-watt equivalent) that cost $10 bucks each.

andrews
02-26-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm not sure of the exact cost of electricity but its around 10c/kWHr. If I'm using one 60 watt incandescent or one 40 watt fluorescent...that'll be 1c/100WHr, or .5c/bulb/hr, so if I'm home for 6 hours of darkness thats 3 cents a day or about $1 a month to provide myself light. Now that I think about it I use Xmas lights for my dim lights and I believe thats a 100W strand so maybe my costs are $1.50 a month.

Michael Walsh
02-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Here's a really good web site about home electricity:

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/fanmail.html

Another Texan
02-27-2009, 06:14 AM
I've replaced the majority of indoor lights with CFLs. No particular brand, just the wattage needed for different areas. The only problem has been when one that was put in an enclosed fixture, it malfunctioned within a day. After reading the package I learned that it was not intended for such use.

A couple of things I really appreciate beyond the energy savings is that none are at their brightest when first turned on, a big plus in the early morning or late at night. Another advantage is they are so cool-burning, I can read or do handwork and not feel like I'm sitting under the hot lamps in the cafeteria serving line.

As far as quality of light emitted, well I'm not that picky. If it provides enough light to see what I need to see then it works for me.

shuggie
02-27-2009, 09:12 AM
I use lot of Xmas lighting all year around.
But then again we are the romantic kind or gorls.

Born Here
03-02-2009, 06:23 PM
In my not-so-humble but experienced opinion, I would not have one of the damned things in my house. Period. For those of you who think that you are saving the world for your grandchildren's children, you have been duped by a huge, multimillion dollar propaganda campaign to sell the Toxic things. CFL's contain enough mercury to kill a person. GET IT. They are toxic and the mercury released when you break one is sufficient to cause all manner of ill things as you walk on that carpet barefoot and it's absorbed into your body. Micrograms of Hg injested will cause various levels of toxicity. Last time I checked, there were about 800,000 web sites devoted just to the issue of Mercury amalgam fillings leaking infintesimal quantities into your system, causing Mercury Poisioning. Beware the Boondoggle of cfl's. The quality of light sucks, they flicker, you can't dim them and how in the hell can you rationalize the payback of an $8 lightbulb @ 10 cents per kWH.

Meanwhile, a 50 watt halogen spot light costs $6, lasts 3,000 hours, you can dim them infinitely, smoothly, the light is whiter than incandescent and you can throw them into your trash can safely. Look at the warnings about disposal on the packaging of the cfl's
Oldfart Curmudgeon Field Hippy Electricians agin New-Fangled claptrap Technology.
and that's not all I have to say about it

Don't believe much of what they tell you, they all have shit to sell and want you to think your welfare is uppermost in their minds...HA! The Power Companies are lying...the Retailers are lying...the manufactures are lying...the damned gubmint is lying. Hundreds of millions of dollars are being spent to manipulate you into buying their crappy cfl's, and it is working. You believe that shit they are dishing out. Take your pick, cancer causing chemicals spewed from AEP power plants downwind from Eureka in Oklahoma and Benton County Ark, or mercury in your kitchen. Yup.

Bravis
03-03-2009, 03:11 AM
Personally I love my LED lightbulbs and LED light strips, they cost pennies to operate. They are just as bright as normal incandescent bulbs, cost a smidgeon more but last way longer. I replace old bulbs with LEDs as they burn out only have 2 left and my bill has dropped.

Rags
03-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Personally I love my LED lightbulbs and LED light strips, they cost pennies to operate. They are just as bright as normal incandescent bulbs, cost a smidgeon more but last way longer. I replace old bulbs with LEDs as they burn out only have 2 left and my bill has dropped.

Where do you get LEDs for "a smidgen more" than incendescent light bulbs?

The ones I have found are around ten to fifty times the cost of the equivalent incandescent bulb.

Born Here
03-04-2009, 10:25 PM
AA, I fixed that. And the cfc issue is probably a conspiracy to profit as well...anyone know how big tha hole in the ozone layer is and if it's gettin' bigger or smaller wit the new freon?

shuggie
03-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Additionally, if one breaks one in house, you are in then new age form of deep shit.

mtnviewsteve
03-05-2009, 11:33 AM
:cool:
~CFLs do not hold up to the stress of power surges,so using them in our rural area is too expensive and not very practical~and a waste of money that would be better used 'bout anyplace else~ :eek:

mtnviewsteve
03-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Steve,
If you have a lot of power fluctuations, see if your power company installs whole house surge supressors. We haven't had anything blow out since carroll electric installed one for us.
~Now that's a plan. Thanks so much brother Aux Arc~ Will check tomorrow.

charlieschimes
03-06-2009, 08:56 AM
You can get cfls here. I have purchased from them and they are fast with delivery too:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

Bravis
03-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Sorry took so long to reply. I have bought the lightbulb type at the Walmart store in Rogers, Pleasant Grove area/exit near 540. They also have them at Lowe's and Homo Depot but they are a lot more costly there. The LED strips I bought at Lowes. They were 25.00 but they are going to last forever and put out the amount of light that you would normally need about 4, 18" flourescents. Costs seems equivalent to me, when you figure in operation and light quality.

PMilam
03-10-2009, 08:22 AM
how do you dispose of the fluorescent bulbs?

Springburg
03-20-2009, 09:40 PM
I have Damar cfls throughout my house and have had real good luck with them. Color temperature is a personal preference and I like 6500k which is a little cooler than daylight. I think they make colors more colorful and the photos on the wall really pop.

All fluorescent bulbs contain mercury, not just cfls. Fluorescent bulbs have been around for 70 years and I guess there have been people that have got sick by the mercury in them but I donít know anyone that has. A mercury thermometer contains Ĺ to 3 grams of mercury where most cfls contain 1-2 milligrams.

The magnetic ballasts in older style cfls werenít as efficient as todayís and hummed, caused interference and made the light flicker. The light turned on and off between 60-120 times per second. New ones have electronic ballasts and the frequency is 40,000 times per second.

Good quality cfls consume one fourth the electricity so they produce less heat, they emit better quality light and last over 10 times longer than incandescents.

I even have black light cfls in my yard light.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3110/2559662131_127807135b_m.jpg

Murphette
03-20-2009, 09:48 PM
I bought an 8 pack of CFLs at Walmart, half were broken in the box. Between the cost and the concern for their disposal, I think I'll go back to incandensents and remember to turn off lights when I leave a room.

DaBee
03-21-2009, 08:37 AM
I bought a grow light at Maverick Supply and when I got it home it flickered. Took it back and they gave me a new one without any problem. Good, local folks!

Jerry Blues
03-24-2009, 05:20 AM
FYI: You can purchase Philips brand "ALTO" fluorescent bulbs that contain 80% less mercury than standard fluorscent bulbs. To tell them apart from the old style bulbs the metal ends on these bulbs are a bright green. According to the ADEQ you can directly dispose of this type bulb though recycling is always best.