PDA

View Full Version : Carroll County Fresh Event!!

SpikeSilverback
02-28-2009, 10:32 PM
So DB & DG,

Did you attend and can give us a report?
Thanks.

Spike

DaBee
03-01-2009, 05:10 AM
I was looking for you there, but didn't meet anyone named Spike. That's a joke <well, maybe> because not too long ago someone wrote that they didn't see the name DaBee on a list.
Sustainable Living through promotion of locally grown produce, meats and dairy was the focus in this meeting. A strategic plan was implemented with committee formation in 7 different areas pretty much focused around farmer's markets and promotion of local small scale farmers and producers. The guest speaker, Rita Scott from Green County Sustainable program Oklahoma, had a lot of great ideas about how to get different programs off the ground.
There were several Geekfesters there and a few were chosen as committee chairpersons. It would be good to get feedback from them.

deb

SpikeSilverback
03-01-2009, 09:51 AM
I was looking for you there, but didn't meet anyone named Spike. That's a joke <well, maybe> because not too long ago someone wrote that they didn't see the name DaBee on a list.
Sustainable Living through promotion of locally grown produce, meats and dairy was the focus in this meeting. A strategic plan was implemented with committee formation in 7 different areas pretty much focused around farmer's markets and promotion of local small scale farmers and producers. The guest speaker, Rita Scott from Green County Sustainable program Oklahoma, had a lot of great ideas about how to get different programs off the ground.
There were several Geekfesters there and a few were chosen as committee chairpersons. It would be good to get feedback from them.

deb

Thanks DB,

I was there in spirit. You musta known! Good to see the cooperation between the various resources. I suspect OK is a bit farther along in these areas. Interesting that AR, MO & KS has no organic certification within their states. If I want to get USDA Certified, I have to get an official USDA authorized guy out of Oklahoma City, pay his per diem and mileage, plus all the other expenses. Last time I checked it came in at well over a $K.

Spike

Another Texan
03-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Have you considered going this route?

Certified Naturally Grown (http://www.naturallygrown.org/)

DaBee
03-01-2009, 10:09 AM
I didn't realize that, Spike. There was a fella there that said a little something about some type of organic certification and how he would come to your farm to test and qualify. I could not hear his name and organization. I remember him saying that he was the person that supplied the bags and containers for the farmer's markets. AT or Spiderwoman or WhiteOwl will probably know.
Yes, Oklahoma is farther along than Carroll County, but they and other Farmer's Market organizations are willing to share and help. The University of Arkansas Extension Co-op representative spoke also and they certainly have much helpful info (along with soil testing). http://www.uaex.edu/.
All of these cooperative efforts certainly paint a brighter future for our sustainable living goals.
deb

Another Texan
03-01-2009, 11:12 AM
The primary accomplishment was the election of an official board of directors which if I understood correctly was the last step in becoming a non-profit entity which would open up more avenues for funding. Funds to assist in making the mission goals reality.

Along with the board, seven coordinators were enlisted to represent the seven teams, the farmers; friends of the markets; outreach to low income persons and the Hispanic communities; speakers to communicate the purpose of CCF to others; building institutional customers ie, schools and restaurants;...

I'm sorry I've drawn a blank on the other two and having left the agenda and a pair of gloves behind perhaps another attendee can list the remaining teams.

DaBee
03-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Fund Raising and Events team and a Public Education and Advocacy Campaign team.
I'm going into Berryville tomorrow, AT. Would you like for me to stop by the Community Center and see if your gloves are in lost and found?

Another Texan
03-01-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm going into Berryville tomorrow, AT. Would you like for me to stop by the Community Center and see if your gloves are in lost and found?

Thanks DaBee that'd be great. Actually they're Robin's,
men's size lined light colored suede work gloves.

SpikeSilverback
03-01-2009, 09:58 PM
I didn't realize that, Spike. There was a fella there that said a little something about some type of organic certification and how he would come to your farm to test and qualify. I could not hear his name and organization. I remember him saying that he was the person that supplied the bags and containers for the farmer's markets. AT or Spiderwoman or WhiteOwl will probably know.
Yes, Oklahoma is farther along than Carroll County, but they and other Farmer's Market organizations are willing to share and help. The University of Arkansas Extension Co-op representative spoke also and they certainly have much helpful info (along with soil testing). http://www.uaex.edu/.
All of these cooperative efforts certainly paint a brighter future for our sustainable living goals.
deb

As far as I know, the limitations are still in place. If there is something I missed in the USDA certification process i.e. local certifiers, I'd be interested to know that. In the meantime, I'm leap frogging USDA and am headed for international certification with Demeter/Biodynamic certification. http://www.demeterbta.com/certification.html
I already qualify. Just need to deal with the paperwork.

Spike

DaBee
03-01-2009, 10:23 PM
The Demeter paramaters of organic certification are of an incredibly high quality. Congratulation on achieving these ideals, Spike.

SpikeSilverback
03-01-2009, 11:05 PM
The Demeter paramaters of organic certification are of an incredibly high quality. Congratulation on achieving these ideals, Spike.

As with USDA, it comes down to money. Gotta pay for the "inspector" to come look. The invoices and documents are in order and the visuals prove the point.
This is three and a half years in transition. Another year of so should reinforce it. No hurry, got nuttin to sell.

Spike

DaBee
03-03-2009, 07:33 AM
AT - just to let you know, the gloves still weren't at the Community Center even after Robin checked. Maybe Heather picked them up.

Another Texan
03-03-2009, 12:16 PM
AT - just to let you know, the gloves still weren't at the Community Center even after Robin checked. Maybe Heather picked them up.
Thanks for checking DaBee, I didn't know he'd be heading back that way so soon.

DaBee
03-04-2009, 12:09 PM
No problem at all.....on my way to about anywhere, actually. The CC sure is a nice place to have meetings; good set-up. BTW, good seeing you and Robin and the other Geekfesters there!