PDA

View Full Version : Got seed order in!

DaBee
03-07-2009, 06:25 AM
My order came in from Baker's Creek Seed yesterday!! All arrived except some loofah and lettuce mix. I saw that Johnson's has organic Seeds of Change seeds, so I can pick some up there. The order came in a medium size bubble pack envelope. Strange to look at that one parcel and know that an incredible amount of food will come from it.
I'm planting some in prepared garden areas today. Also, have paper egg cartons set up and ready to go with indoor seed starts that'll get going today.
What all has everyone planted or started indoors ?

Teresa DeVito
03-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Have fun in the dirt and sunshine DaSowingBee. Tonight ma nature will water everything. ;)

daturasgarden
03-07-2009, 10:06 AM
How exciting! I love Baker Creek seeds also...good quality!

Southwindcome
03-07-2009, 12:12 PM
I buy many of my seeds from Pinetree Garden Seeds. Their website now cautions that because of unprecedented business it will now take 2 to 3 weeks before seeds are sent out. If you have not as yet ordered your seeds for bedding plants, regardless of your vendor, you may choose to pay extra for expedited processing.

My babies did their first sleepover in the greenhouse last night:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j71/rderge/sleepover.jpg

DaBee
03-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Looks great, SWC! You're certainly way ahead and everything looks so....green! Tell me, where do you find the little markers and how many hours a day do you keep the fluorescent lights on? Thought I had 2 fluorescent light fixtures w/bulbs here, but they've disappeared. I'll have to go buy a couple this coming week. I just don't get enough sunshine anywhere in my house to justify not getting them.
And wanted to tell you.....the freezer that I bought from you last year did a great job keeping everything frozen during 8 days of power outage. It was packed full and I didn't open it. The ref. freezer, on the other hand, was not so efficient....at all.

p.s....I had meant to mention, also, that when I ordered the seeds, many that I had chosen 2 days earlier were out of stock by the time I placed my order. Going fast at Baker's Creek, also. I got the Pinetree catalogue and was planning on ordering from them, to supplement. Might not be anything left, though.

andrews
03-07-2009, 01:40 PM
started basil, cilantro, tomatoes, eggplant. To do soon: more tomatoes, okra, peppers

DaBee
03-07-2009, 02:07 PM
What kind of eggplant, tomatoes, okra and peppers, andrews? Do you use indoor lights?

Southwindcome
03-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Looks great, SWC! You're certainly way ahead and everything looks so....green! Tell me, where do you find the little markers and how many hours a day do you keep the fluorescent lights on? .

The markers are made from plastic blinds. I mark them with a sharpie.

I keep the lights on about 12 hours a day. In Alaska, where the sun never sets in summer, people grow giant vegetables. With light more is better.

andrews
03-07-2009, 04:48 PM
huh. plastic blinds, I knew there was a good use for them somewhere.

Purple Long Eggplant; Tomatoes: Big Beef, brandywine, Black Krim, Amish Paste, Sungold Cherry; Clemson Spineless Okra; Peppers: Cubanelle, Cali Wonder, Serrano.

I've been keeping lettuce and the other seedlings at a large south window but the lettuce seems to be slow. With this other stuff germinating and cloudy days forecast I'll be setting them up under a grow light.

SpikeSilverback
03-07-2009, 09:27 PM
huh. plastic blinds, I knew there was a good use for them somewhere.

Purple Long Eggplant; Tomatoes: Big Beef, brandywine, Black Krim, Amish Paste, Sungold Cherry; Clemson Spineless Okra; Peppers: Cubanelle, Cali Wonder, Serrano.

I've been keeping lettuce and the other seedlings at a large south window but the lettuce seems to be slow. With this other stuff germinating and cloudy days forecast I'll be setting them up under a grow light.

Folks, I'll re emphasize... you gotta get those seed orders in NOW. There is an unprecedented run on ALL the seed houses big and small. Don't delay. The whole country is on to this. This is no time for indecision.

Spike

DaBee
03-07-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm guessing that I paid maybe 50% more for the non gene-altered non hybrid non pesticided organic heirloom seeds, but I'm banking that it is a wise investment. I will be able to harvest seeds of original intention for the next year's garden and to share with others with confidence. I will also pay much closer attention to all of the steps involved in making each seed productive.

Southwindcome
03-08-2009, 06:36 AM
I'm guessing that I paid maybe 50% more for the non gene-altered non hybrid non pesticided organic heirloom seeds, but I'm banking that it is a wise investment. I will be able to harvest seeds of original intention for the next year's garden and to share with others with confidence. I will also pay much closer attention to all of the steps involved in making each seed productive.

You would certainly want non-hybrid seeds if you intend to save seeds. Then of course you have to go to extreme lengths to keep the variety you choose to save seeds from, from cross-pollinating with another variety. I buy some open-pollinating types. But plants are hybridized to instill qualities not found in the original strain and I buy some hybrids to acquire those traits in my vegetables. Hybrid seeds usually cost more than non-hybrid. I doubt it's possible to find anything gene-altered in a home gardening catalog. The only qualitative difference between "non-pesticided organic seeds" and seeds from a conventional grower is in the mind of the user, and if you value that go for it. I think it's an unnecessary expense.

SpikeSilverback
03-08-2009, 08:47 AM
The only qualitative difference between "non-pesticided organic seeds" and seeds from a conventional grower is in the mind of the user, and if you value that go for it. I think it's an unnecessary expense.

SWC,

Monsanto owns the majority of the seed companies worldwide. Long ago they figured they could control the world by controlling the seed production. Most of those seed companies they bought still operate under their original name.

Just as mal nourished children raised in poor poisoned environments produce
poor progeny, so go the seeds. Those seeds have genes that have been transformed by the environment they have been subjected to.

I suggest the user of seeds inform themselves as to the sources of their seed and the "qualitative" differences.

Start here for a more informed outlook.
http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/monsanto.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hErvV5YEHkE&feature=related

Spike

Southwindcome
03-08-2009, 09:04 AM
SWC,

Monsanto owns the majority of the seed companies worldwide. Long ago they figured they could control the world by controlling the seed production. Most of those seed companies they bought still operate under their original name.

Just as mal nourished children raised in poor poisoned environments produce
poor progeny, so go the seeds. Those seeds have genes that have been transformed by the environment they have been subjected to.

I suggest the user of seeds inform themselves as to the sources of their seed and the "qualitative" differences.

Start here for a more informed outlook.
http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/monsanto.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hErvV5YEHkE&feature=related

Spike

My progeny, both human and plant, are doing just fine. You are at liberty to obsess about anything that interests you. And the internet will provide evidence to support any point of view. Citing web sites proves nothing. Crying "conspiracy" bores me. If what you say about Monsanto is true, your war is already over. They have won.

I can't squander any more of a wonderful day arguing. I have seeds to plant. You cannot be convinced and I cannot be convinced, so one telling of our points of view should suffice.

Eureka Animal Precinct
03-08-2009, 12:23 PM
I get my seeds from Baker Creek too!! My seed starting is going to have to wait for a while....spring break...I am overwhelmed with work.

I saw an article in Organic Gardening about making your own seed tapes. Just cut newspaper (no colors) in 1 inch strips, put your tiny seeds on in the appropriate spaceing and make a paste with flour and water. Drop a tiny bit on the seed with a tooth pick or maybe an eye dropper. Let dry and store in zip lock bag. I am going to give it a whirl with carrots and turnips.

Kim Yonkee
03-08-2009, 12:44 PM
We ordered seeds from Jungs and Heirloom Seeds this year. The Jungs order is in but Heirloom seeds is a couple of weeks away, again, because of unprecedented demand.

We just had the Focker garden site dug up the other day. Larry the tractor driver says that it seems like everyone in the county is starting a garden this year because, "Well, we'll all have to."

The garden site is huge and there is lots of work to do to get it ready ... even just the rows for the spring crops. So the only thing we have started at the moment is some seed potatoes, which are sitting and sprouting in egg flats.

I did spend some time yesterday sitting around, watching a Michael Moore documentary ("Sicko") and making starter pots out of newspaper. So we'll be ready to plant seedlings a little later.

Southwindcome
03-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Jungs is in Randolph, WI. My parents would always drive up there to get their seeds and bedding plants. In recent years Jungs has expanded a lot. They now have 2 stores in Madison and they're wonderful places. Everything in their catalog (and then some) is for sale at their stores.

They have also acquired several other seed catalog companies. (I'm sure this is part of the Monsanto conspiracy.) Anyway, now Totally Tomatoes and Shumways are divisions of Jungs.

Through most of my life it was pronounced "yungs," in the German fashion. Lately they have anglicized it and now call themselves "jungs."

SpikeSilverback
03-08-2009, 09:29 PM
My progeny, both human and plant, are doing just fine. You are at liberty to obsess about anything that interests you. And the internet will provide evidence to support any point of view. Citing web sites proves nothing. Crying "conspiracy" bores me. If what you say about Monsanto is true, your war is already over. They have won.

I can't squander any more of a wonderful day arguing. I have seeds to plant. You cannot be convinced and I cannot be convinced, so one telling of our points of view should suffice.

And you are at liberty to ignore ance anything put in front of you or that doesn't interest you. The purpose of the internet is to inform. If you are so bored to be informed then that is your problem. If Monsanto wins, you are a winner! Keep planting that crap and you'll see the decline of your progeny, IF you live long enough.

I'm not out to convince YOU. And I'm not quite through telling my point of view. You are obviously lost and unsaveable. And BTW you didn't watch the video, did you?

For those that really care what goes in their mouth and comes out the other end, I recommend that you review this list and patronize those seed companies NOT on this list. And if you want to continue to support Monsanto
(Mt. Saint) that is your choice. At least we now know where the lines are drawn. Your wish to support international conglomerate, GMOs and the takeover of seed production is painfully obvious. Even the lowly USDA doesn't allow non organic seeds for certification.

Spike

Companies owned by Monsanto for your review.

* Territorial Seeds
* Totally Tomato
* Vermont Bean Seed Co.
* Burpee
* Cook's Garden
* Johnny's Seeds
* Earl May Seed
* Gardens Alive
* Lindenberg Seeds
* Mountain Valley Seed
* Park Seed
* T&T Seeds
* Tomato Growers Supply
* Willhite Seed Co.
* Nichol's
* Rupp
* Osborne
* Snow
* Stokes
* Jungs
* R.H. Shumway
* The Vermont Bean Seed Company
* Seeds for the World
* Seymour's Selected Seeds
* HPS
* Roots and Rhizomes
* McClure and Zimmerman Quality Bulb Brokers
* Spring Hill Nurseries
* Breck's Bulbs
* Audubon Workshop
* Flower of the Month Club
* Wayside Gardens
* Park Bulbs
* Park's Countryside Garden

Southwindcome
03-09-2009, 06:58 AM
I'm sorry I made it possible to start this discussion on the sustainable living thread. It does not belong here. If anywhere at all, it belongs on the open forum.

DaBee
03-09-2009, 07:22 AM
Allow me to disagree, Southwindcome. I have encountered this same discussion among sustainable living folks alive and in person, so feel it belongs right here. Myself and others are being informed in a specific area that happens to do with hybradized seeds and it makes for better decision making with both yours and Spike's informed opinions. I appreciate the discussion and would think that if it went to the Open Forum, most folks would think that it should be over here on this forum.
Carry on. :)

Southwindcome
03-09-2009, 07:46 AM
I'm retiring from this discussion. Check out my "Great Satan" thread on open forum to see why.

Southwindcome
03-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Point of information: Jungs is owned by Dick Zondag, not by Monsanto. The company has been family owned and operated for 102 years.

andrews
03-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Johnson's Nursery has organic seeds. But they don't have peas - anybody have just a few pea seeds - less than a dozen...?

Murphette
03-11-2009, 08:05 PM
I had a neighbor, originally from Italy. He had the best garden in the neighborhood. Tony was IT and the rest of us watched what he did. Because if Tony did it, it had to be the right way to do it. You just could not argue with that guy's garden.

This is a testament to his prowess: He grew the ingredients for the red sauce. His wife, Carmella, cooked and canned the red sauce. One year she told me “I told him to stop already with the tomatoes! What does he think my name is? Del Monte?!”

Tony behaved like an organic gardener. He saved seeds, he kept a compost heap, he used a grass clipper instead of a mower, etc.. Mostly I think it was out of cheapness. He accomplished a lot with effort and careful planning without spending money on chemicals including gasoline. But if pests threatened his plants, he’d spray with anything to protect his garden.

I am quite proud of the fact that Tony added green beans to his garden from seeds he’d collected from MY garden. I bought my seeds from Burpee’s, by the way. Kentucky Wonder. They came back true every year that I saw them in his garden afterward.

One year I started putting grass clippings in my garden (I'd prefer to mulch than weed any time of day) Tony didnt mulch. He grew things so close together that weeds didnt have much of a chance. Besides, he was out there picking at strays at 6 every morning. Me personally, I think weeds were just scared of him.

When he saw me mulching he came over to ask about it. I explained. He scratched his head and looked pretty disdainful of this whole messy looking grass business. But all he said was "Everybody has their own way" and went home. The next year he started mulching with his yard clippings.

I figure it this way; if Tony, in all his Gardening Majesty, could live and let live without making judgements and learn a thing or two along the way, the rest of us mortals can be expected to do the same.

So nobody is Satan. If anybody insists that anybody else is Satan, then I'll call Tony and have him come fix it. He may be 100 years old by now, but he could probably still whoop all our butts in the garden. Plus, he's Sicilian; the SCARY kind of Italian.

DaBee
03-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Johnson's Nursery has organic seeds. But they don't have peas - anybody have just a few pea seeds - less than a dozen...?

Andrews, I have a dozen organic green-eyed cowpeas that has your name on them.
deb

Southwindcome
03-12-2009, 06:29 AM
I'm still waiting for seeds from Pinetree Garden Seeds. Lots of organic tomatoes and eggplant. When I saw the notice on their web site cautioning people it would be 2 to 3 weeks from the time they received an order before they shipped it, I got nervous. So I sent them an email asking if they could pull my orders, charge me for expedited delivery, and ship immediately. I expected nothing. The next day I got a note saying they had done what I asked and shipped my seeds. It's a really good company.

Their prices and variety are outstanding. The only negative is that the quantity of seeds in each packet is often small. Sometimes 15 tomato seeds is plenty, although 400 arugula seeds might be too few. Once you order anything from a seed catalog you will be in the loop and the following year you will receive dozens of catalogs so it will be easy to comparison shop.

andrews
03-12-2009, 07:42 AM
I was looking for green peas - garden, snap, snow - the kind that like this cold weather

DaBee
03-12-2009, 10:31 PM
They sell them at Wal-Mart.

Southwindcome
03-13-2009, 04:26 AM
The heirloom tomato seeds arrived yesterday and are already in their little cells.

I have about 1200 plants started.

ESweekender
03-13-2009, 07:35 AM
I buy many of my seeds from Pinetree Garden Seeds. Their website now cautions that because of unprecedented business it will now take 2 to 3 weeks before seeds are sent out. If you have not as yet ordered your seeds for bedding plants, regardless of your vendor, you may choose to pay extra for expedited processing.

My babies did their first sleepover in the greenhouse last night:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j71/rderge/sleepover.jpg

This is a beautiful thing! SWC, did you build your greenhouse? Any tips? We have talked about building one, but are not sure the best way to go about it. Surely someone who could think of using mini blinds for plant markers has some tips?
Or any of you other smart geekfesters!

DaBee
03-13-2009, 08:07 AM
You can build an fairly easy greenhouse that looks like a quonset hut by using cattle panels and the heavy greenhouse plastic.

Southwindcome
03-13-2009, 12:32 PM
This is a beautiful thing! SWC, did you build your greenhouse? Any tips? We have talked about building one, but are not sure the best way to go about it. Surely someone who could think of using mini blinds for plant markers has some tips?
Or any of you other smart geekfesters!

The greenhouse was here when I bought the place. I wish I'd had some input because it's sited so badly it gets no sun after 2 pm. I've never built a greenhouse so you know as much about it as I do.