PDA

View Full Version : How to make $180 in 10 minutes

Michael Walsh
03-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Sustainability also applies to the current cost of living. The more you can cut costs, the more easily you can sustain yourself.

Today, just by asking AT&T for better rates, I got:

* $5 per month off phone service for 2 years--$120.

* $5 per month of internet service for 1 year--$60.

Total: $180 that can stay in my pocket. And I didn't even have to down-grade either service. Or go to the hassle of changing providers.

With AT&T, if you're willing to forgo voice-mail, call-waiting, call-forwarding and high-minute long distance, you can save even more. I didn't have any of those "features" to begin with.

Last week, I asked State Farm for better rates on home/auto insurance. I had to make some different choices in coverages, but I was comfortable with those and cut insurance costs by $170 a year. You can save 30-40 percent just by raising your deductibles (the amount you pay before auto/home insurance kicks in) and assuming more risk yourself.

So, this week, I "made" $330.

BTW, if you are 55 or over, take the AARP's defensive driving course. At State Farm, it'll knock $13 a year off your rates. It's good for three years ($39) and then you can do it again. Though I'm not positive, Farmer's insurance, I think, offers a 20 percent discount on rates for the same thing.

markd4life
03-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Imagine that, spend money to 'make' money. ;)

Southwindcome
03-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Remember the advertising slogan? "The more you spend the more you save!" One year a car manufacturer touted its new model as being "downsized on the outside, upsized on the inside." I guess that would mean the walls are thinner.

If you're in the over 50 crowd join AARP and price their car, home and health insurance.

andrews
03-14-2009, 03:22 PM
sounds like you "made" $330 in 2 years, not 10 minutes

tizzy
03-14-2009, 04:21 PM
On the average, how much will joining AARP save? (I mean percentage-wise) Since I just hit the big 5-0, I got the temp card in the mail wanting me to sign up. I'm seriously thinking about joining.

celeste
03-15-2009, 08:39 AM
I joined AARP at 50, having enrolled my older brother 18 months earlier as his birthday gift. My family LOVES to save money. The health insurance is one of their best offerings, ask SWC how much he saved at my suggestion of same. I use Delta Dental & at $400 per year, which is a $50 deductible, I get two cleanings & xrays. My recent root canal & crown saved me nearly $1000! That paid for the policy for the next three years.