PDA

View Full Version : ~Bad Back Gardening~

mtnviewsteve
05-18-2009, 02:40 PM
:cool:
~Got 4-pallets and stacked them together and placed a 6-ft plastic child's swimming pool with holes poked in the bottom on top of the pallets. We filled the swimming pool with hardwood mulch and cleared holes in the mulch~added rich organic soil and compost to the holes and planted 6- tomato plants, 11-pepper plants and some cucumbers and squash.
~Can get completely around the pool-garden~can reach everything from any side~and don't have to bend at all~The mulch holds moisture and the rich composted soil w/plants seem to be thriving.Will take pics as they progress.
Sustainable Blessings to ALL~

ESweekender
05-18-2009, 02:45 PM
What a great idea!!!

PMilam
05-18-2009, 04:57 PM
We've got an old watering tank, we are a fixin' to do the same with... an oval one.. the bottom is 1/2 rusted out, so no need for holes.
I'm amazed at how much easier it is to work with our boxes.. they are only 12", but that's 12" we don't have to bend!!
Great idea, Steve!

jdelo
05-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Is a great idea, as i get one of those pools for the dogs to play in every year and every year they get a hole in them and now i know how to recycle them.
Thanks, looking forward to pics.
That on the ground stuff is not for me anymore or my back. Been helping a lady who has cancer with her gardens, on the ground and i will never tell her the truth, but when i get home i am hurting from bending or getting bit from sitting in this sand with ants.

mtnviewsteve
05-18-2009, 05:25 PM
~We're fixing to get another pool this weekend to plant potatoes in. Fill about 1/3 with rich composted soil~plant cut potatoes(at least 1-eye in each cut section) plant cut side down and cover with wheat straw~water but don't over water. As potatoes grow keep adding straw. In August you may begin harvesting potatoes as you need them. Push back the straw~get potatoes you want and cover back up. Good til 1st frost. Just 'bout fool proof if ya' don't over water.

DaBee
05-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Great idea, sTeVeObRo. I'm headed in that direction - have one raised bed now and all of my herbs are planted there. Other that that, use the Ruth Stout (No Work Garden Book) method; though I don't agree with the no work part. I bought some really good knee pads to kinda compensate until I get everything raised a notch or 2.
I love the old watering tanks too, Patt. Using one for a front porch planter and a big one for an aquatic pond.
If it rains really hard, sTeVeO, will the pools allow for adequate drainage? At first my new raised bed was like a bog - had to work some drainage holes into the corners. Seeds are sprouting with everything except the Fenugreek. My camera is broken now, but it seems like I posted pics of the raised bed somewhere.

mtnviewsteve
05-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Great idea, sTeVeObRo. I'm headed in that direction - have one raised bed now and all of my herbs are planted there. Other that that, use the Ruth Stout (No Work Garden Book) method; though I don't agree with the no work part. I bought some really good knee pads to kinda compensate until I get everything raised a notch or 2.
I love the old watering tanks too, Patt. Using one for a front porch planter and a big one for an aquatic pond.
If it rains really hard, sTeVeO, will the pools allow for adequate drainage? At first my new raised bed was like a bog - had to work some drainage holes into the corners. Seeds are sprouting with everything except the Fenugreek. My camera is broken now, but it seems like I posted pics of the raised bed somewhere.
~Yep, took an old 3-prong pitchfork and poked holes in the bottom like a big colander, lined the bottom with newspapers and filled with shredded small mulch.~Seems to drain fine and not hold water except for what the mulch absorbs. Plan to top-off with wheat straw as plants grow.

lunarmist
05-18-2009, 08:39 PM
I did this last year with the kids' old plastic sandboxes and pools. I used a cordless drill to make holes and lined them with some small rocks to promote drainage since they are on the ground. They are great for salad greens. What's nice about them is they have lids. We put the lids on them during the flash floods right after planting seeds. Plus they are cute.

DaBee
05-18-2009, 10:12 PM
Guess I hadn't posted the pics. Here are a few of my projects:
Just after planting the herb garden about 10 days ago:
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l305/debkay/DSCN2127.jpg

Took an old swingset and wired it up for a gourd trellis:
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l305/debkay/DSCN2130.jpg

mtnviewsteve
05-18-2009, 10:30 PM
~Looks like a plan DeBo~
~Harvest Blessings~

charlieschimes
05-19-2009, 08:11 AM
Good looking gardens Dabee.

charlieschimes
05-19-2009, 08:12 AM
My raised beds are feed bunks. I have them situated around the perimeter of the GH. I drilled them full of holes, added gravel to the bottom and good organic soil to over that.

Square foot gardening methods are used in the the troughs with really good results.

DaBee
05-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Are feed bunks like half barrels, Charlie?

PMilam
05-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Deb, how big is your herb box? what are the circles? bamboo ###? little blue boxes?

Great idea for the trellis for gourds.

mtnviewsteve
05-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Are feed bunks like half barrels, Charlie?
http://i39.tinypic.com/qsuwzn.jpg

charlieschimes
05-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Sorry Steve, yes that is what I use. Mine are 10' long and 2' wide.and sit about 2' off the ground. I raise em on concrete blocks which aids in not having to use my ole back too much.

DaBee
05-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Deb, how big is your herb box? what are the circles? bamboo ###? little blue boxes?

Great idea for the trellis for gourds.

The box is 6X12. I got the timbers from a friend that was moving and didn't want to leave her raised beds. The circles are metal rings that came off of barrels that fell apart. They work great for keeping some of the herbs apart from others. The bamboo is some that had come down from the ice storm and was laying on the side of the highway. The little blue boxes are styrofoam that I cut from a big sheet that was packing material on some car parts. They work great with sharpie markers.
Everything (including the dirt ;)) is being reused. I loaded up some of the original raised bed dirt into feed bags. Also, went to a neighbors and filled the back the pickup with horse poop/hay and dirt. The only thing I bought was a pick up load of garden soil at Johnsons.
This is the part of self-sustainability that is so cool.

Becky Davis
05-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Pretty amazing Deb. It looks great and I love that swing set idea.

DaBee
05-21-2009, 11:21 PM
sTeVeObRo - did you get pics of your raised bed?

mtnviewsteve
05-21-2009, 11:25 PM
sTeVeObRo - did you get pics of your raised bed?
~Been waiting 'til stuff gets up a lil'~nothing but new plants in dirt now~Photos when they grow a bit~
~Your layout looks really cool~