PDA

View Full Version : Let there Bee Trouble

wdcarver
07-07-2009, 04:02 PM
OK, I have what I hope is a minor problem. We have a hummingbird feeder on our deck. Yesterday it was covered with honey bees and the deck was aswarm with them. There was not a queen that I could see and when we sprayed them with water they fled for a few min. Enough time to get the feeder in and tranfered to another spot about 50 feet away. Took them the better part of the next day to find the new location but here they are again. Needless to say the hummingbirds are really pissed and at times it's a battle going on.

So the question is what can I do about it other than pulling the bird feeder out and letting both of them fend for themselves, although I still have a few bees on the deck, guess they didn't get the word. Any ideas? Thanks.

DaBee
07-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Whew.....thought I was in trouble again :rolleyes:!
I'd take the feeder down and let the critters sort it all out. All of the honey bees and the hummers co exist here. I don't have feeders, but have planted the kind of flora that both use.

DaTryingToStayOutOfTroubleBee

shuggie
07-08-2009, 04:19 PM
When they swarm and land in a covered area, they will morph a Queen, You Lucky Dawg.
Call Rev. Phillip Wilson for help with your swarm.

TR Morin
07-11-2009, 06:08 AM
When they swarm and land in a covered area, they will morph a Queen, You Lucky Dawg.
Call Rev. Phillip Wilson for help with your swarm.

What Shuggie said. The hive belonged to someone and probably got over crowded and moved on.

Another Texan
07-11-2009, 06:32 AM
It's getting hot and dry and natural food sources for bees are becoming scarce. Sugar water, similar in concentration to the hummingbird food, is often used as a supplement to get bees through stressful times.