PDA

View Full Version : Saving summer in a jar

Southwindcome
08-07-2009, 05:16 AM
My cucumbers have been good this year. Last year they kept dying from disease. This year I used seeds resistant to the wilting blight and that may have made the difference. I've made lots of bread and butter pickles (toward the end slicing them lengthwise) as well as dills. Yesterday I finished a batch of sweet gherkins. It's a many step, sticky, three day process but the result was good. I did two successive cucumber plantings. The first bed is about done while the second is still producing.

There are enough tomatoes for our use but not enough to sell. Some plants are heavily blighted, some are fine. I planted six or seven different heirlooms this year and won't again. They are at best novelties and I'm looking for tomatoes. I won't plant nearly as many standard varieties again either. I will settle on 3 or 4 favorites. I'm looking for flavor, production and disease resistance. So far I have canned chunks, pasta sauce, salsa and bloody Mary mix.

Tomatillos are going great guns and soon I will have to decide how to preserve them.

There are plenty enough winter squash for us but not enough to sell.

Peppers started slowly, but are coming along now. I should be able to manage a few more market sessions. Habaneros and Caribbean reds are prolific. This year my Tabasco sauce will be ridiculously hot.

Disappointments? Beans never did much, although I have a second planting climbing now. Raspberries may have played out and need to be replaced. Yield is small and berry size is small. Japanese beetles are a big problem. I have jam left on the shelves and in the freezer from last year so it probably doesn't matter. I was excited about my third year asparagus, but it was disappointing. There's a tree that needs to come out. Maybe it's about sun.

Danny Turner
08-07-2009, 08:39 PM
I am interested in home made pickles any and all varieties (dill, sweet, gherkins ANYTHING) if anyone has some to sell (I also accept free LOL) let me know how many and price each

mudcat
08-09-2009, 07:55 AM
I just finished nine pints of salsa also....Tomatoes have the blight also...Peppers and squash are about the only thing going...Horseradish is doing good also.....

Can't kill the Horehound..Loves drought and bugs hate it...

Will go Elderberry looking..Got some frozen from last year..Might get enough for some great jelly..

Winter onions......Will be thinning them out....Anyone want some later on...Also called Buffalo onions... Used the weedeater on some, they were taking over..

Southwindcome
08-09-2009, 08:14 AM
I am interested in home made pickles any and all varieties (dill, sweet, gherkins ANYTHING) if anyone has some to sell (I also accept free LOL) let me know how many and price each

I suggest you make your own. It's very easy, and you can find step by step instructions on line. The investment is also small. $7 for a dozen pint jars, and then a big pot to use as a canner. Someone would even loan you one. Buy cucumbers at the farmer's market.

Danny Turner
08-09-2009, 09:54 AM
well i got a big pot and i can get lots of cucumbers I thought I needed a pressure cooker for them

Southwindcome
08-09-2009, 10:46 AM
well i got a big pot and i can get lots of cucumbers I thought I needed a pressure cooker for them

Good news, right? Pickles require only a hot water bath.

Danny Turner
08-09-2009, 10:52 AM
i guess i know what I am going to try this week