PDA

View Full Version : Spiritual Aspects of Yule

PMilam
12-08-2009, 04:15 PM
taken from this article..
http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=uspa&c=holidays&id=13019

Upon the longest night of the year, our God is re-born from the slumbers of death. He brings with him the sacred light by way of the Sun. And from this moment forth the fertility of the land is once again restored. And so too are the fertility of fresh thoughts and new goals introduced into our hearts and souls. Our spirits cherish this moment of his birth for it is a time to shed the chains of the experiences past and to surge forth with a renewed purpose in our lives. The birth of our Sun God is an affirmation that life goes on and that the door to spiritual growth stands wide open.

Perhaps more understanding will bring more peace. I've vaguely known about some of this for a long time. It's good to know more about it.

And I've learned more from Adam Sandler about Judaism, than from the little I've read. It is intriguing how many of the stories/parables from each overlap with other religions.

hhmmmm.. suggestions for winter reading? I wish I could remember the name of a book I read last year. Historical novel type of thing.. a woman born in Greenland, of a Nordic father and indigenous mother.. Catholics were also there. Very interesting reading.. just cannot bring up the name or author.. most of our books are still in boxes.

TR Morin
12-13-2009, 05:58 PM
taken from this article..
http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=uspa&c=holidays&id=13019

And I've learned more from Adam Sandler about Judaism, than from the little I've read. It is intriguing how many of the stories/parables from each overlap with other religions.

hhmmmm.. suggestions for winter reading? I wish I could remember the name of a book I read last year. Historical novel type of thing.. a woman born in Greenland, of a Nordic father and indigenous mother.. Catholics were also there. Very interesting reading.. just cannot bring up the name or author.. most of our books are still in boxes.

You might like "Rashi's Daughters; Book III," A Novel of Love and Thge Talmud in Medieval France by Maggie Anton.
Read more at http://www.rashisdaughters.com/ Book 3 "Rachel" is in the library.

PMilam
12-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Is it a series.. or can I just pick up on book 3?

Thanks.. I'll give it a read, when I finish the one I'm reading now. There is a lot going on right now, so, I'm not able to read much.

DaBee
12-14-2009, 07:33 AM
I could swear that I responded here several days ago and suggested "The Lacuna" as a good historical-ish reading. Am I going into delusional thinking again? Geez, I hate when that happens ;).

TR Morin
12-14-2009, 07:55 AM
Is it a series.. or can I just pick up on book 3?

Thanks.. I'll give it a read, when I finish the one I'm reading now. There is a lot going on right now, so, I'm not able to read much.

The library has book 3 (Rachel). Not sure about the others. Very interesting genealogical connection between the author and Rashi who was a tenth century Talmud scholar with three daughters and no sons so the daughters became "learned." I enjoyed the story and in some ways, it is just as relevant today as it was then.

DaBee
12-14-2009, 09:03 AM
It's amazing what our Library can find through their Interlibrary Loan Program. Usually it's just ask and you shall receive!
I know you know that, Patt...just kinda wanted to put the word out to others that might not be aware. :)