PDA

View Full Version : I'm grateful

PMilam
07-29-2003, 11:58 AM
I am so thankful for people that are loving, caring and knowledgeable in the ways of today's medicine.

My beautiful, strong, courageous daughter, Julia labored at home for a long time, when everyone was becoming exhausted, and the babe was not presenting itself. We made the decision to go to the hospital. As it turns out, the baby was very big, and turned a bit askew, so, Dr. Card recommended a C-section. It was a bitter disappointment for a mom that had her heart set on delivering her baby at home, but, she was exhausted, and the baby was the important factor. Dr. Card, as always, was gentle in explaining the procedure, the nurses on at that late hour were tender with her, and in a short while, at 1:40 am, our second grandbaby, Alan Cole Meyers was in daddy Shane's loving hands.. soon to be moved to mamma's waiting arms and breast.
He weighed in at 8 lbs. 5.2 oz, and was very long.. tho he did not want to stretch his baby legs out.
He looked at us, we looked at him, and our hearts melted, and the hours of intensity and sadness were gone.
The knowledge that such births such as this, not that many years ago, would have resulted in the death of the mother, and often the child, makes me extremely grateful. Of course Julia would not have had to go through it, because she would not have ever been conceived, because I would have died in a previous birthing.
I've been to many home deliveries, and it is a safe extremely delightful experience for so many, but, for the few that have complications, thank God for hospitals and kind staff.
Thank God for babies that look at you, and bring all the harshness of the world to an abrupt end with their innocent gaze. Thank God for Alan Cole.

Jim Wright
07-29-2003, 05:31 PM
Hey Grammy!!
Tell baby Alan Cole hello. Good name.
It was almost 27 years ago when I first saw the face of my Pinko. Head first, but no matter how they come out, they learn real quick how to tell you what to do. She looked like a baby alien then, she looks like an angel now.
Best to 'der alder', the ma and the cargo. Bless his little pea-pickin' heart.
Oh wait, by the time you realize how smart your dad is you'll have a child to tell you how dumb you are.

07-29-2003, 08:28 PM
Congratulations, Patt! And to the family! I am glad little Mr. Meyers was in Dr. Card's care. He's incredible. Quiet, but incredible.

PMilam
07-29-2003, 08:30 PM
Thanks..
and... you would think I would have asked.. the spelling was wrong..
Allen Kole.

He is even more beautiful today. Mom is doing well, dad went home to sleep, and we got to hold and cuddle him.. mmmm.. nothing better.

[This message has been edited by PMilam (edited 07-29-2003).]

LBC
08-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Patt:
We're so proud of Julia and excited for all the hard and wonderful adventures on which she is about to embark. We love your family, and are proud to know you all (and the ones to come). We can't wait to meet Allen. Congrats on the newest addition to the Milam clan!
--Hannah and Benjy

Becky Davis
08-08-2003, 04:20 PM
Ooh Grandma it makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over. So glad he is healthy and both are doing fine.

Kaysmommy
08-18-2003, 08:08 PM
To Julia:

I just wanted to say congrats on the new baby to you and Shane. There is nothing greater then giving birth to a child.
You can have the worst day possible and then when you look into your child's eyes it all seems to disappear. I wish you the best of luck in everything that you do. You will be a wonderful mother and Shane a wonderful father.

CONGRATS !!

The Schaum's

PMilam
08-19-2003, 12:32 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the kind words. I have printed them all for Julia and Shane, and for babe Kole, when he looks through his baby stuff.
They are doing well, Julia recovering from surgery, and learning the ins and outs of parenthood.
Kole is growing like a weed.. one that has been well watered!
Wish I knew how to post his photo. He is beautiful.
Thanks,
Patt