PDA

View Full Version : Grateful but Sad

Aries76
09-24-2003, 04:42 PM
I am grateful for the fourteen and half years I had with my Welsh Corgi Rusty that I had to put down today. He gave me so many years of unconditional love. But today I am also sad because I lost something near and dear to me that can never be replaced. If there is a heaven, I believe all animals are there for they are the purest of all the living creatures.

Becky Davis
09-24-2003, 05:19 PM
I am so very sorry for your loss. I hope your grief passes quickly and you open up your heart to another little one that needs your love.
Even though you know you did the right thing, I know you are still heartbroken. Feel better soon.

Turtle
09-24-2003, 06:10 PM
My heart hurts for you..

arjay
09-25-2003, 07:09 AM
...running free, unfettered
in fields of perfumed heather sweet
he'll sleep beside a warming fire
at the Master's feet

tulsa dawn
09-25-2003, 07:22 AM
Aries

So sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. Animals have a way of working themselves into our hearts, don't they?

You have my deepest sympathy.

Kim Yonkee
09-26-2003, 10:53 PM
This is a very good book as well:

http://www.holisticanimal.com/pagesmain/crossing.htm

This particular book includes a story about one of our pigs, Bela. If I ever had any doubt that there is a heaven for all creatures ... well, I don't. Not anymore.

Some of the story of Bela the pig appears in the book, but a lot of the really fascinating stuff happened while Colleen (author) was going to press. As briefly as it is possible (for me) to describe it all:

We have many pet pigs, and a few years ago, we kept them on some land we owned in Madison County. Bela broke out of the pen one day and took a tumble down a hill, breaking his back. Our neighbors had a hog that they were raising for food who broke out of her pen and sat with Bela in the dry creekbed where he lay for three days... which is how we happen to have an 1100 pound pet hog named Miz Mary. Long story. Some other time.

Our Madison Co neighbors finally tracked us down and we went down to pick up Bela and bring him home. We set up a house and a pen for him, hauled out a radio and set it to soothing music, and I brought along an apple for a treat ... which Bela was disinterested in, until I picked up a nearby shovel and chopped the apple into 4 parts, which Bela promptly ate.

We called Colleen (book author and animal communicator) to ask what Bela wanted ... what did he want us to do, and she said, "Bela says, 'You need to come fix my radio. It's making noise. Not playing music. And when you come, bring another red apple and cut it into four parts like you did the last time.'"

(This, from a woman in upstate New York whom I have never met personally ... and who had no way at all of knowing that I had ever brought an apple to Bela OR cut it into parts OR that Bela had a radio in the first place. I certainly didn't tell her anything about it before she told me.) I did go out and fix the radio ... which had, indeed, shifted off-station, with red apple cut in 4 parts in hand.

Over the course of a few days, Bela became increasingly depressed and he said (via Colleen), "It's time to call the vet. Humans are afraid of death, and we [pigs] don't understand that. It is only moving to a different place." So we called Dr. Tony, who came and sent Bela to the next world.

Meanwhile ...

The reason that our neighbors couldn't find us for days was because we were in the midst of a human drama. Our neighbor and extremely good friend Bill was dealing with a swift and ultimately fatal bout with cancer and we (at PIM) were all providing a lot of care, so we weren't always easy to find. Bill was probably the finest man I have ever known. Someone that I referred to as my "surrogate father." In life, Bill helped us out a lot with the Madison Co pigs. Taking care of them took about 3 hours ever day, and Bill took on a lot of the work, referring to the pigs as "all my little black children." Back when Kelly Simon owned Ozark Village and he used to do the free meal on tax day (April 15), the marquee always announced, "Free meal for Friends of Bill." It was THAT Bill.

When Bill died, he was buried with a stuffed toy pig and the keys to the gate of the Madison County property. A couple of weeks after Bill's death, we called Colleen on a totally unrelated matter and, in the middle of the conversation, she said, "Bela is here and he says Bill is here too and he has some questions. Who is Bill?"

Us: "Bill is a friend and ... um... OK, what?"

Colleen: "What is the toy Bill showed up with? [the stuffed toy pig] Is that something he had as a child? And why does he have keys? He doesn't need keys because there are no locks or gates here."

Is it possible to sufficiently convey the shiver we, and Bill's family, all felt when we heard this? This woman, who is a couple thousand miles away and who did not know one thing about who Bill was ... or what he was buried with, asking these detailed questions?

Maybe this sounds a bit wacky. Extremely wacky? Oh well. I have a whole raft of former-disbeliever stories I could regale you with. http://www.geekfest.com/ubb/wink.gif

If you have any inclination whatsoever to do so, check out the "contact" link at www.holisticanimal.com (http://www.holisticanimal.com) to find peace and a remarkable perspective.

Aries76
09-28-2003, 02:03 PM
Kim and everyone,
Thanks so much. Kim what a heartwarming story. I'm difinitely going to be looking this up and also, the petloss.com sight is wonderful. There is a show on Animal Planet cable with a man name Mark Marrone (Petkeeping) and he has all these assorted critters and they all interact and I saw it this morning. My husband said that would be my dream life to live with bunch of all kinds of animals and he's right. The problem is I have major back problems so unfortunately that can't happen. But if, I could do it all again, I would definitely be in the middle of living out in the country and having lots of animals. It been my passion. There are books all over my house on everything from Wolves(a favorite)to birds to dogs and the list goes on. Thank you so much for a wonderful and heartwarming story. I saw a plaque the other day that said "A House is not a home without an Animal". I certainly agree with that. But I will wait till the right time.