PDA

View Full Version : Drive that old car 'til it rots

Kim Yonkee
12-07-2003, 08:57 PM
Here is another topic that will get ya'll advocating Prozac for me: Black Boxes in Cars.

I was watching the Atrocity Channel (CNN) the other night, and they did a report on black boxes in cars.

Apparently, these things have been in some models since 1996 and will be in all new cars in 2005. (If you want to know if your car has one, you can find out at this url:

http://www.techtv.com/news/culture/story/0,24195,3391730,00.html )

At the moment, what they do is record data in the 5 seconds leading up to a crash -- vehicle speed, state of driver's seat belt (on/off), airbag deployment, etc. This data is supposedly used to help law enforcement & insurance agents reconstruct the events leading up to a crash.

But it's the planned technological enhancements that really freak me out. Including --

<ul> Constant monitoring of the vehicle, purportedly for the transmission of vehicle speed to roadside receivers. Future enhancement: a "kill" switch that can be operated by remote.

Two-way radio communications with dispatch (available now). At the moment, the idea is that you have instant 911 access in case of an accident. Future "enchancements" include integration with alcohol/drug molecule "sniffers" -- apparently so that a command to "Pull it over and put your hands on the hood" can be delivered long distance?

Data collection about your driving habits over time, which will help insurance companies put you in "categories of interest."
[/list]

If you're really a wacked-out conspiracy theorist, the following snippet might make you fret over the uses that this particular technology could be put to:

Jul. 01, 2003

U.S. Develops Urban Surveillance System
MICHAEL J. SNIFFEN
Associated Press

WASHINGTON - The Pentagon is developing an urban surveillance system that would use computers and thousands of cameras to track, record and analyze the movement of every vehicle in a foreign city.

Dubbed "Combat Zones That See," the project is designed to help the U.S. military protect troops and fight in cities overseas.

The whole article: http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/news/6211959.htm

[note that this is necessary because of ... what? yes! you guessed it! terrorism.]

Ronald Phelps
12-07-2003, 10:33 PM
Some of the automakers have been putting "check engine" codes into your cars computer to start coming on at around 70,000 miles. They have no valid fault when checked. The idea was to plant in your mind a major problem was coming. It helped push people to decide to buy a new car.

PenDragon
12-08-2003, 01:24 AM
Oh goody, my car already has this devise in it. Maybe I need to look into purchasing a Volkswagon in the future?

Cyberphillics
12-08-2003, 07:53 AM
In voice recording test cases of government vehicles in the south the black box was noted to have recorded many last words before a fatal crash. The most common phrase heard was “Oh $hit!” This was the case with the exception of in Texas where last words were “Here hold my beer and watch this!”

On a serious note, big brother will be getting in to our lives more and more in the future and I see good things and bad things that could result from this. Example: If your car is stolen (If you have ever had this happen it is good to have) just flip the switch to kill the car and activate the homing beacon. It is scary what is being added to new technology, another example is homeland security built right in to the next Windows operating system. Yes Longhorn will spy on you and everything you do. I can never use this OS because I do not believe it is the business of my government what I am typing. Oh I could go on and on but why bother my blood pressure is high enough as it is. This is a government by the people and for the people, right? Then what the hell is going on with our personal rights?

------------------
Cyberphillics Computer Services
846 Valhalla Dr
Eureka Springs, AR 72632
david@cyberphillics.com
Cyberphillics (http://www.cyberphillics.com)

[This message has been edited by Cyberphillics (edited 12-08-2003).]

arjay
12-08-2003, 07:57 AM
makes me love my old jeep even more!

Hermit of Hogscald
12-08-2003, 09:33 AM
"Then what the hell is going on with our personal rights?"

They've emmigrated.....to Canada.

PenDragon
12-08-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Cyberphillics:
It is scary what is being added to new technology, another example is homeland security built right in to the next Windows operating system. Yes Longhorn will spy on you and everything you do. I can never use this OS because I do not believe it is the business of my government what I am typing.

Want to know what scared the ever loving crap out of me the other day? Friend of mine works for a company that prepares legal documentation for lawyers and legal departments of large corporations (scans court documents, downloads them to disk and catagorizes and lables them for firms to use in their research on individual cases). The other day they needed to get all the info they could about a particular case from a client in the most cost effective way (rather large client with lots of computers). Their computer whiz dudes went over to their rather large client's world headquarters and through computer whiz magic (and the help of Microsoft's built in spyware) simply requested certain words and phrases and every last time those words or phrases were ever even keystroked (whether they were deleted by the user or not), they came up and were downloaded to disk.

It made me think of all the times I have sat here and written letters or a post filled with my real feelings about a person, event or situation. It made me think of every IM conversation I have ever had. You know those posts or emails we write but never send? And then there are those IMs we hope no one ever sees except the intended reciever. Yeah those ones. Not that we may be saying anything subversive, but heck, some of that stuff is mighty personal.

So I am sitting here with my Windows 2000 Professional OS and thinking, every keystroke is here just waiting for big brother. What's to stop them in the name of Homeland Security from doing spot checks on various computers remotely? Do I have to disconnect the modem and shut down completely every time I walk away from my keyboard in order to insure my privacy?

Should I be thinking Linux is looking better and better?

Is it really time to move to Canada or is that not far away enough? I thought rural, mountainous Arkansas would be far away enough, apparently it isn't.

And for all us New World Order conspiracy theorists, now you know why Bill Gates is invited to every Bilderberg conference.

Hermit of Hogscald
12-08-2003, 12:03 PM
And one is left to suspect that the ultimate goal in all this is much deeper than even 1984 predicted, the "Hive" mentality.

"He who controls the information, controls the world."

"We are the Borg, you will be assimilated, resistance is futile."

For myself, I find new and much deeper meanings to Shakespeare: "Do not go gently into that good night, rage, rage against the dying of the light."

That elephant is not dancing, he is busy stomping the Bill of Rights into the dirt.

becsflowers
12-09-2003, 12:39 AM
Got a cell phone, and use it ALL the time? Somebody is tracking you, even if it is for consumer/advertising reasons. Now with the neat phones with cameras in them, they have a visual description of you and all your friends, and all this in the name of "way-COOL gadgets"! How about satelite TV? THEY KNOW what your viewing habits are, and aprox. what age groups/ social economics, etc. you are. They already know what you will be buying before you do.

Becky Davis
12-09-2003, 05:28 AM
I know a few people who absolutely refuse to get computers, cell phones and all of the modern gadgets we take for granted now a days. Oddly enough these same people predicted to me years ago, this would happen. I poo-pooed them. Now who has the last laugh?

gayle
12-09-2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Hermit of Hogscald:
"Then what the hell is going on with our personal rights?"

They've emmigrated.....to Canada.

you're all welcome....except any right wing religious fundementalists.....we already got an influx of those a while ago...they head up our Alliance party now http://www.geekfest.com/ubb/frown.gif (that's the opposition party in parliment).
Guess that leaves out AH and ER!

Cyberphillics
12-09-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by gayle:

Guess that leaves out AH and ER!

LOL

------------------
Cyberphillics Computer Services
846 Valhalla Dr
Eureka Springs, AR 72632
david@cyberphillics.com
Cyberphillics (http://www.cyberphillics.com)