PDA

View Full Version : Fowl play?

Royal Alcott
06-04-2002, 09:04 AM
Isn't it wonderful that certain environmentalists are going all out recycling the primary byproduct of Arkansas chicken houses in City Council meetings.

It's a pity we have to wait until November to show our appreciation for their efforts.

sweetness&light
06-04-2002, 01:40 PM
Are you certain it's recycled and not freshly made?

Of Sound Mind
06-04-2002, 01:57 PM
Chickens?
I was almost certain there was a prolific bovine source over on the right (i.e., camera right / stage left) side of the table.

[This message has been edited by Of Sound Mind (edited 06-04-2002).]

Royal Alcott
06-04-2002, 05:28 PM
S&L-

What is it called in Italian?

sweetness&light
06-04-2002, 06:49 PM
Ahhh, moto bono, Royal. Eet eez called shicken chit, I theenk. Or is that en espanol?

oldguy
06-04-2002, 09:17 PM
Royal Me a thinks ita mightabe aaa how you say adressing. So stronga to smell anda so mucha to say.

James DeVito
06-05-2002, 04:35 PM
As a student in the sixties I watched from my window as the skyline of Milwaukee was lit by the fires in the ghetto after King`s assasination. I became involved in the civil rights movement that year and have spent my adult life trying to counter those who discriminate on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, and sexual preference. In 1985 I led almost 100 people from Harrison and the surrounding area to stand in silent protest against the arrival of Richard Butler and Aryan Nations, Stanley McCalum and the KKK and others aligned through the christian identity movement. In 1986 I alerted Eureka Springs that a group holding a convention here, called the "christian patriots" were neither christian, nor patriotic. They were actually "posse comitatus" members who were honoring the convicted felons who harbored Gordon Kahl. Kahl had murdereed two federal marshals and killed a sheriff over in Searcy County. For my efforts in trying to counter the effects of discrimination I was honored by being the WOMENS PROJECT volunteer of the year. Discrimination starts innocently enough with jokes about someones race or ethnicity. If unchallenged it creeps a little further. The legacy of Gerta Koch still exists in the form of the Christian Heritage Foundation. I don`t know who the unnamed people are who post on this board, but I will speak out against their use of minority status to belittle others who they may disagree with. I have been face to face with racists from the head of the California nazi party to the founder of Aryan Nations, at least I knew who they were and could look them in the face.

sweetness&light
06-05-2002, 07:04 PM
James, I am sorry you and anyone else was offended by my answer to Royal. I guess I'm just no longer sensitive when someone makes fun of me or my ethnicity. If I had used the correct Italian word, would you still have been offended? I don't take offense when anyone makes fun of my chocolate addiction because I am making fun of it and I am sorry I offended you or anyone else who thought I was making derogatory racial remarks.

Royal Alcott
06-05-2002, 07:16 PM
Mr. DeVito, denegrating an ethnic group has nothing to do with this post and you know it.

You can accuse to deflect criticism. It is a common defense raised to national prominence by Joe McCarthy who was well known in Milwaukee.

Becky Davis
06-05-2002, 07:56 PM
It does now Royal. When you brought up the word Italian, to as usual show your dislike for James the post turned into a denigration of an ethnic group.
What I can not understand is why James keeps putting up with your remarks? Your sole aim is to insult, belittle and get others to share in your hatred.
You go beyond disagreeing. I would think that a man of your experience and stature would show a little more class.
You always stop short of just exactly what you mean to say, I assume to avoid legal recourse. But, I for one think he should check into it.
Enough is enough.

Kaye Miller
06-05-2002, 08:30 PM
I agree with you, Becky. His posts are getting tacky. However when I pointed out how hateful some of them were, S. Jones was quick to let me know Royal may be outspoken but has a right to post his views.

[This message has been edited by Kaye Miller (edited 06-05-2002).]

Becky Davis
06-05-2002, 08:45 PM
Yeppers Kaye. Steve is right. They have a right to post their views.
And so do we.
When I first started posting on this board, I remember one of the PIMS girls saying we were to treat each other as if we were in one another's living room, even when we disagree, in exchange for the privilege of having a BBS.
That has stuck with me. Pretty good ground rules, don't ya think?

Kaye Miller
06-05-2002, 08:58 PM
Yes I do.

Royal Alcott
06-05-2002, 09:17 PM
According to an authoritative source the translation for what occurred in the city council meeting is "frattaglie del pollo".

Some terms translate universally which shows a common contempt for such behaviour that transcends ethnicity and unites us all.

Royal Alcott
06-05-2002, 10:59 PM
Mss Miller and Davis-

This is showdown time, all cards face up on the table.

Where were you when De Vito, then chairing the CAPC, was publically showing his contempt for me?

Where were you when he was publically throwing away thousands of CAPC dollars on a television program that never existed?

Where were you when the CAPC was paying thousands of dollars in ad agency bills for products and services the town never received?

And De Vito now claims to be a fiscal conservative concerned about cell phone bills of a Mayor whose office he seeks?

Mss Miller and Davis, selective indignance lacks all credibility.

Kim Yonkee
06-05-2002, 11:16 PM
nein, nein, nein http://www.geekfest.com/ubb/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Kim (edited 06-06-2002).]

Becky Davis
06-05-2002, 11:22 PM
Ooh...ruffled your feathers huh? Well, the topic is "fowl play".

Becky Davis
06-05-2002, 11:24 PM
Kim, Nyne, nyne, nyne. Or is it nine, nine, nine.
Good night liepschen.

sweetness&light
06-06-2002, 04:54 PM
I hope no one is offended by Ragu's latest commercial for their new sauce. It starts out with a guy sitting in a new car on the showroom, when a Mediterranean accent calls to him that what he really wants is a more robusto ride like the XKE red Jag that is talking to him. Next scene, man is in Jag in a Mediterranean old world town with girls hovering over him feeding him the robusto sauce and talking with Mediterranean accents.

What I am wondering: is this use of minority status to cajole into buying a product and does it cause belittling of the minority by doing so? Just wondering if this goes by the same rules or not because it is an ad? Now everytime I see/hear a commercial that uses an accent, I'm wondering if it is considered racist or belittling? Or is it that every individual is the judge of whether it's racist or not?

James DeVito
06-06-2002, 05:30 PM
Speedy Gonzales is no longer used because it offended Mexicans. Bill Dana abandoned Jose Jimmenez because it also was offensive. When you use it to attack and degrade it is insensitive. I have already been thanked by an Italian who was growing tired of the Italian slurs... Il Duce! S&L, thankyou for the apology. I`m sorry Royal never saw the Travel America show that featured Eureka Springs. Not only did it show nationaly, it was rerun some months later. We still have the twelve hours of raw footage tape by an award winning cinematographer that we use in our commercials. I will be glad to debate the issues but I will not be drawn into personal attacks.

Royal Alcott
06-06-2002, 06:52 PM
Mr. DeVito-

You started this.

The Travel America show never ran nationally. A national program runs on a network showing the same program on all its affiliates.

You grasp of media lacks much.

Travel America was syndicated on cable. That means cable stations had the option to buy the package and run it locally or not. Most did not.

The phony list you presented (I have it on tape)was the cable stations the program was available to, not the stations buying it.

In fact the local cable station dumped the parent show.

The schedule I saw had it on the air at 7:00 am or earlier competing with anywhere from 50 to 150 cable and dish channels on the air at that time.

Show me the overnight ratings for the show. That's how the pros do it.

I saw some of the footage. Home movies.

The TV show you voted to fund was pitched by the Chamber of Commerce as a PBS program underwritten by Chevrolet.

The opening as going to be a couple in a new Chevyy convertible crossing the Golden Gate, wasn't it? And then we would see the couple in the Chevvy convertible in the convertible show in Eureka Springs?

I have it all on tape ready to run.

I also have all the web postings you threw at me for telling you there was no such program.

There never was a PBS show underwritten by Chevrolet and you knew it when you signed the check.

While you are up for issues, did the city ever resolve the matter of, what was it, $40,000 of bills , from KWG for media ordered and paid for by Eureka Springs CAPC but not paid for by KWG?

You are not qualified to play the role of a fiscal conservative deeply offended by cell phone bill.

That is the issue here. Please stick to it.

snowdiva
06-07-2002, 01:16 AM
Royal, Royal, Royal, you are interesting, I'll give you that.........

Royal Alcott
06-07-2002, 06:43 AM
Snowdiva-

Have you enjoyed the annual daffodil festivals DeVito gave thousands of CAPC dollars to plant?

Bubba
06-07-2002, 05:22 PM
Royal,

You just can't let it go.

Cheri White and many others explained in gawd-awful excruciating and accurate detail how everything occured - errors - warts - and all, but YOU ALONE are the only one who could not accept the honest and through explanations given.

Including the Chevrolet thing.

YOU ALONE can be given explanations till the rest of us are blue in the face, and YOU ALONE are the only one not to get it,(or refuse to accept reasonable explanations).

Why?

Certainly not because you are dumb.

Rather, because you are so jaded by your own anomosity and "there's some kinda stuff in this woodpile somewhere" mentality that twists your views into FUBAR.

Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition.

ps I cleanded up the "Fouled" up part.

[This message has been edited by Bubba (edited 06-07-2002).]

Royal Alcott
06-07-2002, 06:25 PM
Bubba-

Their explanation defied the facts.

The CAPC commission voted to fund a television program that did not exist.

I have the tapes.

That is a fact.

I do not believe there was ever another vote by the CAPC to fund quite a different program described by the production company after the check got there.

The issue here is DeVito's credibility as a fiduciary watchdog for public funds.

His record does not support that position he took so piously in the June 3 city council meeting.

Bubba
06-07-2002, 06:31 PM
FUBAR,

If I had to choose between DeVito's credibility and yours . . . sorry, you lose.

littlemomma
06-07-2002, 10:52 PM
Growing up in a sicilian family...i have learned that the "italians" take great pride in thier race. To the point that they get boiling mad if someone pronunces it "EYE-talian" (big no no.) I think DeVito was using "being italian" as an example on being quick tempered.(i dont think he was trying to make any excuses) Imagine the whole council being italians!it would probably make it to prime time tv! At least they get it all out and then its over in a few minutes. Italians are all alike. "typical" and i am speaking for myself too! anyways..ciao bellas!!

snowdiva
06-10-2002, 02:16 AM
Royal...Yes, the flowers were lovely, but, I have to say, I wish the money had not been spent in that manner.

Royal Alcott
06-10-2002, 05:11 AM
Bubba- Minority opinions are welcome here.

Old Thing
06-11-2002, 09:11 AM
I'm confused. Why is it okay to insult this man named Royal, simply because he has some strong views, is not afraid to publish them under his own name? He's right about one thing for sure: Beau Satori was duly elected, and has done some good things for this town. No one is ALWAYS right, are they?