PDA

View Full Version : Moyer's surrender terms

Royal Alcott
06-04-2002, 07:47 PM
In a comedy act before the City Council on June 3, Jack Moyer, using the Imperial We, described how far he is entitled to stick his hand into the city's pockets to improve his resume.

In demanding the use of Basin Park as a hotel chapel, he said, "40 percent of our business comes from weddings".

He couldn't be more wrong!

100 percent of his business comes from the unique and romantic Victorian appearance of a 19th century summer place built by wealthy Yankees in a town where restoration and renovation are encouraged by the Eureka Springs Preservation Society and protected by the Historic District Commission.

Tony McAuliff had the right answer.

sweetness&light
06-04-2002, 07:58 PM
I know better, I swear I do, but I can't seem to stop myself. I'll be sorry for this, but dangling that last sentence is like tempting me with a Hershey's with almonds.

All right, all right! Lay it on me, Royal...what was Tony McAuliff's "right answer"? If the rooms were clean and quiet, they would come to stay the night? If there was unlimited parking for everyone, they would come to stay several nights? If prices were lower, they would spend the week?

Royal Alcott
06-04-2002, 10:07 PM
S&L-

General Anthony McAuliffe commanded the 101st Airborne at Bastogne, a small Belgian town, when the division was surounded by Germans during the Battle of the Bulge at Christmas, 1944.

When the German General demanded his surrender he said, "Nuts".

sweetness&light
06-04-2002, 11:20 PM
Oh lord, Royal, you are a classic. That is too funny. I remember the quote, but for some reason I thought it was from Patton. I suppose he would have worded it a bit stronger, but I do believe "Nuts," says it all in so many ways.

Maybe we could change the town's name in the same way and call it Eureka Nuts...where some are cracked and some are still in the shell.

snowdiva
06-05-2002, 12:35 AM
When I was a teenager running around in this town, we use to call it "the town where the misfits......fit.".........LOL

just wondering
06-05-2002, 08:02 AM
Our town called "Eureka Nuts", I love it! Just think, of the squirrels we could run for elected office. We could have a King and Queen Squirrels day party. Sweetness&Light can be our first Queen of Squirrels. Just think of new T/Shirts. Wow, more CAPA taxes. The parks commission will be in full regalia. My vote goes to Sweetness&Light, but be sure that only pigs control the bank accounts, back rooms, and all cell phones.

jack moyer
06-05-2002, 10:00 AM
Royal,

I am glad that you can determine the markets of my hotel from your computer better than from within the hotel operation.

Certainly I didnt mean to demand anything, however I can understand the confusion that surfaced when someone brought a constructive plan that was well thought out and would help the community as a whole.

Sorry I didnt mean to create such trauma with this "new methodology" at the council table

jack moyer
06-05-2002, 10:02 AM
Royal,

I am glad that you can determine the markets of my hotel from your computer better than from within the hotel operation.

Certainly I didnt mean to demand anything, however I can understand the confusion that surfaced when someone brought a constructive plan that was well thought out and would help the community as a whole.

Sorry I didnt mean to create such trauma with this "new methodology" at the council table

I was however pleased that the council recognized the potential opportunities and that WE and the applicable department heads can begin conversations towards lessening the congestion and improving the guest experience

[This message has been edited by jack moyer (edited 06-05-2002).]

Royal Alcott
06-05-2002, 12:51 PM
Jack-

Before anyone can buy anyhing here they must want to come here to do it.

All guests who come here make that decision because of the appearance of the town and its contrast with where they come from.

The hotels you manage offer guests a place to spend money after they get here.

This well thought out downtown plan for improving your resume means nothing without the numbers and a cost benefit statement which you have not provided.

What is the annual cost projection to the city for five years to implement your demands?

And I call them demands because didn't you say publically that WE will not invest any more here unless the city makes concessions?

Nuts!

Royal Alcott
06-05-2002, 12:51 PM
Jack-

Before anyone can buy anyhing here they must want to come here to do it.

All guests who come here make that decision because of the appearance of the town and its contrast with where they come from.

The hotels you manage offer guests a place to spend money after they get here.

This well thought out downtown plan for improving your resume means nothing without the numbers and a cost benefit statement which you have not provided.

What is the annual cost projection to the city for five years to implement your demands?

And I call them demands because didn't you say publically that WE will not invest any more here unless the city makes concessions?

Nuts!

Becky Davis
06-05-2002, 01:26 PM
Jack, if forty percent of the Basin's business is weddings, how often would the public Basin Park be tied up with private functions? And how often would all of the other wedding businesses in town be able to use the park for their weddings? Would it be fair to everybody? Would only certain hours be designated for weddings and the rest of the time for public use?
Would you and the others simply pay the city by the hour, day or how would the financial end be settled? Annual contracts?

jack moyer
06-05-2002, 05:10 PM
thanks Becky

and hi by the way.

The Actual request by the Basin Park was to have the ability to reserve "up to 30%" of Basin Spring Park for not more than a period of 1 hour. Folks can reserve the park and perform weddings today, however the reason we needed to ask council/parks was due to the fact that we were asking for a specific section of the park to be reserved exclusively upon request for that one specific event.

We are not asking for a regular hold just a reservation request only with a minimum of one months advance notice. 70% of the park would remain open at all times.

Additionally, we are not asking for an exclusive. We would assume that if we were granting such a privelege that others would also qualify

becsflowers
06-05-2002, 05:14 PM
I do not have cable,and I did not go to the meeting. i am unclear as to what Jack M. wants the city to do. Can someone explain it in detail to me? Is Basin Park a public park? Owned by the Basin P Hotel or is it a city park? Just curious

Royal Alcott
06-05-2002, 05:39 PM
Rebecca- Basin Park is owned by the City of Eureka Springs and administered by the Parks Commission.

Jack's demand included the band shell and the area in front of it and, I would imagine, parking meters blocked for wedding party vehicles or red no parking zones ignored.

Jack is not strong on revealing details.

Becky Davis
06-05-2002, 08:00 PM
Hi to you too Jack.
Royal has a point about the parking. How would the area accomodate guest parking?

Joe Zickmund
06-05-2002, 08:11 PM
I was at the city council meeting when these suggestions were requested for consideration. Workshops will be administered, with a projected implementation date in March 2003. All concerned citizens should ATTEND the publicized workshops to voice their protests. I personally think that we ALL forget that the revenue derived for the city's infrastructure repair and its social services is from industry. (TOURISM) Consequently, we as residents, want to bite the hand that feeds us. This might be a normal reaction to the threat of losing the ambience that we all find appealing. However, I will ask all those that live here this question. For the most part, individuals have relocated here because of Eureka Springs' magic. It has been a destination, escaping from the dense concrete jungle, since the turn of the century! Before we moved here we became enthrolled with the ambience of the small victorian village nestled in the heart of the Ozark Mountains. If we decide to implement stragies to hinder this perception, then I will call us selfish. Unwilling to share the experence because we found, while exploring our great nation, this diamond in the rough. Why would we bicker and argue over small nuances when the bottom line is to provide a visitor and resident THREE perceptions. First, the feeling of SAFETY. Second, the the entension of VALUE. Finally, the perception of CONVENIENCE. Lets all face these as a REALITY for our future. Working together, we can have our cake and eat it too.

Harikat
06-06-2002, 10:33 PM
I believe the first meeting scheduled is between Kim Dickens and Jack, to decide how to impliment valet parking.

This would mean taking out 4 parking meters across the street, building a kiosk, having at least two valets, and having the city go halves on the cost for 2 years. The lot the city has rental agreement on, that's Center and Mountain, would be the destination the valets drive to, at $8.00 a pop. That'd be a valet only space from the Town Shop to Victorian Reflections.
That was the program as laid out in the paperwork Jack handed out.

The Park weddings, closing off the street and having entertainment in the park - an evening music district from upper Mountain to Springand Center intersection. Allowing free parking for the Basin Park Hotel in the evenings, widening Mountain Street.....well those are slices of the pie to be served up later. There may be more but it's late and I'm just trying to get this tired brain to recall all the details.

I guess my only question at the meeting for Jack was, did you ask anyone else about it? (The cover page says, "Eureka Springs Business District, Economic Viability Inprovement Solutions")

I did hand copies to several businesses downtown to get their input. The only ones to respond thought they could understand how it would help the Basin Park Hotel, but found it vague as to how it would be a good business move for the downtown as a whole.

Seems like this was posted on this board a while back... but I don't remember the response then either.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll have workshops and time for input from the public, shop owners, and the Planning Commission on how to work this into the Master Plan, etc.

I hope everyone puts their ideas in letters and comes to the meetings.

Larry Williams
06-06-2002, 10:59 PM
Is the City or Basin Park Hotel going to insure the valet drivers? What's the cost if the City is going to bear it? Does this mean the moped rental business or anyone else can ask the City to bear 1/2 the cost of their business insurance?

sweetness&light
06-06-2002, 11:08 PM
The parking lot on Center and Mountain: is that the one the Basin Hotel gave up it's option for rental this year?

jack moyer
06-07-2002, 12:28 PM
The plan was posted on this board, ZZ5 and a business after hours was conducted to which all businesses in the downtwon region were invited where over 100 copies of this plan was distributed.

It was intended to open dialogue and that is now occuring

I look forward to working on solutions

oldguy
06-07-2002, 01:41 PM
Hello earthlings as I stroll through the area noted for the entertainment area I was wandering what entertainment? I saw shops and jewlers and Leather Goods. I saw a hotel that would be right in the middle so to bad for them. I saw peoples apartments above shops. I saw rooms at the Flatiron Building.
Where people come to stay. I saw a couple of bars. I also noticed it started at the Basin Park and moved away from their guest. What is missing from the equation is what Kind of entertainment? Clowns in the street, pony rides, pub crawls, live music. Who will be the target for the entertainment over 60 Bingo, under 25 Hard Rock, 29 to 49 Alley Mcbeal?
Why don't we put parking on Spring Garden. There is a long streach across from the B&B's that could hold 30 to 50 cars. It is so good to hear some dialog With all the talent in this town if we could stop the major influx of gold fish and work togather we could make Eureka a very desired tourest trap.

sweetness&light
06-07-2002, 03:35 PM
"allegedly gold" fish.

becsflowers
06-07-2002, 04:04 PM
The city was asked to pay half of what to who? Why was the city asked to pay half? Is the city going into the wedding business now? Will the city ask for half of the wedding monies?
Yes, I sure want to attend these meetings. ANY money this city pays, half or not half on, is TAX PAYER money.As a resident of this city,I say NO to more tax. All these so called "grants" being applied for left and right are tax money coming out of somebody's pocket too.
I say keep the public park PUBLIC. That hotel is PLENTY big to have any kind of wedding IN it. The 2nd hotel they are affilliated with has beautiful outdoor garden settings suitable for several outdoor park-like weddings held all at once, all over those grounds. Let Basin Park shuttle the wedding parties there at THEIR OWN expense and quit trying to steal the rights of John & Jane Q Public to enjoy Basin Park 24-7 should THEY want to. And quit trying to STEAL Basin Park PERIOD. I'm sure if anybody wanted to get married in the park could march on in there with their preacher, family, etc. and just DO it. Nobody needs Basin Park HOTEL to get married in Basin Park.
Sounds like this is the mastermind of more facilatators. Or the same ones wearing different clothing.
Everyone is wondering all the time WHERE all the people ARE? Well, the music is ran off, the artists are ran off, the very REASON people COME here is being ran off.
After it's all gone and there are so many regulations that nobody wants to BE here anymore, buy up all the property CHEAP and LET'S START GAMBLING!
Anybody for a poker game or two this evening? Got some pretty lil' dancin' girls from out of town who "just wanna earn a livin'"....
Get the picture?

sweetness&light
06-07-2002, 04:26 PM
I'm seeing thongs. I agree with you; the public park should be just that PUBLIC, not reserved for a wedding or anything to shut the public out. Can you imagine the scene when we have one of our events that has the Army or Marine band playing in the park along with a parade? "DO YOU TAKE THIS MAN..?? I SAY, DO YOU TAKE THIS MAN....(yelling even louder)...DO YOU TAKE THIS....AW NUTS!!!"

What a memorable wedding....or would the hotel's "permission" for a wedding supercede bands playing for the enjoyment of the public? What about kids having their faces painted in the park? While a wedding is going on? Kids and people yelling and laughing, having fun and not at the wedding...just strolling thru the park?

I understand petitions are already being started and meetings planned.

Larry Williams
06-07-2002, 10:16 PM
Jack,

I've tried every search I can think of to locate the "plan" that was posted on this board. Is it possible for you to post a link to that thread?

becsflowers
06-07-2002, 10:31 PM
Go to www.lovelycitizen.com (http://www.lovelycitizen.com) and scroll down until you see his "proposal", about the 7th story down on the right hand side.

jf501
06-08-2002, 04:16 AM
Royal and Bec, Being people that are concerned with John & Jane’s tax dollars will you keep an eye on the expenditures of the multi jillion dollar sidewalk.

I am an outsider and one that has been told 'it is none of your business what the City spends it's tax dollars on', although I contribute a great deal of money to the local tax base and State and Federal taxes are getting wasted here too, so would you take on the duties of 'watch dog', PLEASE!

[This message has been edited by jf501 (edited 06-08-2002).]

Royal Alcott
06-08-2002, 07:39 AM
John-

Do you know who has the landscaping contract for the sidewalk?

Since it parallels Highway 23, is that an AHTD contract?

Does the city or the state conrol the size and positioning of billboards on this land?

just wondering
06-08-2002, 03:54 PM
Well John, join the club, I live in town, and have been told by a past elective official to get out of town. Now Huckabee calls for a special session at high noon Monday to save the state from "finanical distress". The results of that session will be, "let them all eat cake", all meaning us the taxpayer. Will get my cake in Mo., no sales tax on food. John, I will bring you a free slice.

Larry Williams
06-08-2002, 07:37 PM
becsflowers,

Ahh, I see why you used "proposal" in quotation marks instead of the word plan. Silly me, I thought there'd be some trivial details like a proposed budget.

sweetness&light
06-08-2002, 09:32 PM
There are other "trivial details" regarding everything that haven't been addressed, but if they are approved, the details will slide over into a larger result. Once the original plan is approved, codicils will follow and be approved as needed. Just one small example is having the part(s) of the park/bandshell reserved for a wedding for 1 (one) hour for 100 or more people.

When was the first or last time you have known of any outdoor wedding commencing with the arrival (mostly by car) of 100 or more people, the ceremony performed, photos taken either by attendees or professional photographer, and the entire assemblege dispersed and all of this in 60 minutes with no run over time? Even Thorncrown Chapel provides more time than 1 hour.

People attending weddings seldom rush out the door after it's over; they hang around visiting with friends/relatives they haven't seen in a long time, they all have to speak with the bride and groom...they do not care if the area is rented for only 1 hour or if there is another wedding scheduled there directly after that one. Is this another possibility that more than one 1 hour wedding would be scheduled the same day as in one wedding at 1pm, another at 2pm and another at 3pm, no matter who reserved the area whether it was the hotel or other wedding providers?

No matter how many valets or traffic controllers are stationed at the park to assist in traffic, including unloading and loading of guests, the street isn't big enough to handle that many people and we're not even discussing all the shops up and down the street who are hoping for customers to be able to reach them without being caught up in a giant bridal parade.

As far as the statement that this would notify more people that Eureka was a wedding destination...may I politely say BALDERDASH!!

Last year, our local courthouse issued over 5100 marriage licenses. This doesn't take into account all of the other AR counties' licenses coming into Eureka to get married. We are second in marriages only to Las Vegas. We do need more advertising and promotion of the town as a whole. Weddings would be included in that along with lodging, restaurants, shops and attractions.

Having a section of the park to do outdoor weddings solely will not bring in that many more weddings for the town...for the Basin Hotel....maybe. Are there other wedding providers wanting to do weddings in the park of 100 more or less? As presented, weddings would take over the presence in the park even if it is 30%, although I cannot believe the bride and groom of a wedding consisting of 100 or more people would enjoy hearing motorcycles reving up their engines, kids yelling, and other people wandering around totally oblivious to the fact there is a wedding going on.

But then again, it would be a great place for motorcyle weddings; noise doesn't bother them.

This is just one small example where I am unable to find how this proposal will benefit anyone other than the Basin Hotel.

I am all for improving the town for the benefit of our visitors and the majority of citizens, and that includes businesses and residents, but I am not in favor of the city shouldering any part of the cost of a project that does not meet those criteria.

Thom Rowe
06-09-2002, 08:28 AM
I have arranged many wedding functions when I worked for a hotel here in town.
A one hour time frame would not be enough time.

just wondering
06-09-2002, 08:36 AM
Sweetness&Light, I am not in favor of the city (us the taxpayer) shouldering any private or religious project period. Looks like the city needs just other lawsuit over using city property for private gains. How long before we are back again in trying to CLOSE Benton St. for private parking?

just wondering
06-09-2002, 08:53 AM
Let me be the first to tell Sweetness&Light in OUR fair city called "EUREKA NUTS" that Hershey foods UNION WORKERS approve a new contract. Remember, you pay no sales tax, no CAPC tax, or park tax when you buy food in Mo.

becsflowers
06-09-2002, 09:36 AM
Harikat, Would you please keep me advised as to the time frame of the next city meeting, council or otherwise, where this issue will be up for more discussion? Thank you.

[This message has been edited by becsflowers (edited 06-09-2002).]

jack moyer
06-09-2002, 11:27 AM
I have read the many comments and think it might be a good time to share with everyone once again the plan and the request, I assume you are all aware that the park is reserve regularly for MANY private events and weddings certainly would be able to reserve the bandshell any time they want to TODAY, the only variance is to request an area be held for attendees not to exceed 30% and not to exceed 1hour. With that said I will again post the entire proposal. As it says, it is an effort to drive dialogue and initiate conversations. I do however think for that to happen it would be important that the players a> read the proposal and b> Know the current policy, how it is being applied and how this request would nominally revise the existing policy

Thanks

EUREKA SPRINGS BUSINESS DISTRICT
Economic Viability Improvement Solutions

INTRODUCTION
We appreciate the opportunity to share concerns and initiate conversations to develop solutions on the improvement of the economic viability of business in the downtown Eureka Springs Business District.

THE HOTEL
The Basin Park Hotel, a second generation building, has served as the commercial center of Eureka Springs since 1881 when the Perry House was built to accommodate the influx of traffic to the springs. Reconstructed in 1905 this site has often been a symbol of the economic vibrancy of the city of Eureka Springs. This remains the case today. The Basin Park Hotel has suffered from another year of negative cash flow totaling four for the Roenigks and an estimated 16th consecutive year that revenues minus expenses minus debt service was a number less than zero.

THE NUMBERS FOR THE HOTEL
The Basin Park Hotel, continuing to operate and further grow into a full service hotel, brings a great deal to the table. Today it represents a hotel on the verge of success. Its 1995 re-positioning from a motel to a full-service meeting and romance destination has yielded impressive revenue results (detailed below.) However, The Basin Park Hotel’s operating profits remain unacceptable.

Food & Beverage Room Sales Total Revenue
1995 revenues $216,117 $369,573 $585,690
2001 estimated totals $585,527 $704,886 $1,290,413
_________ ________ __________
Variance $369,410 $335,313 $704,723

Total Increase 170.9% 90.7% 120.3%
Per Annum Increase 34.18% 18.14% 24.06%

These totals, coupled with a minor estimate of $3.00 spent district-wide for every $1.00 spent in the hotel, yields a dramatic economic impact of $2,114,169 from 1995 to present.

This “revenue” success has been a direct result in the hotel’s owners and management philosophy coupled with an increase in group business. Business lured to Eureka Springs that was not necessarily originally destined for our town. In years 2000 and 2001, The Basin Park Hotel hosted

# of Events Estimated Guests Type of Events
166 12,450 Weddings
13 1,625 Multiple Day Weekday Conferences
56 2,800 Business meetings
46 6,900 Community and/or Charity Events
38 7,600 Social Events
48000 96,000 Estimated Balcony restaurant patrons
4 400 Major Political Events
26 1,430 Overnight Motorcoach groups - Weekdays
----------
129,205 Guests who have enjoyed a Full-service Hotel

Worth noting, The Basin Park Hotel also offers its bathrooms for use by the general public… a highly uncommon practice among other hotels in the district.

TRENDS AND NEEDS
Although the gross revenue trend may be impressive, expenses to support such an operation are growing at levels far faster than the revenue trend to support such action. The Basin Park Hotel of year 2001 is not economically viable as a commercial center and action must be made to reduce services or make the property more user-friendly and accessible. There are several steps that we have identified to reverse this negative trend. A public private partnership is now of the utmost urgency.

With adequate assurances that the city is willing to participate in improvements to the Downtown Business climate and physical environment, The Basin Park Hotel is prepared to take the next step in development of a leading meeting destination for the State of Arkansas. Components of such a plan will include:

Completed
1> Atrium Development into a technically sound and state of the art meeting room
2> Hallway redevelopment to accent the history of Eureka Springs
3> Redevelopment of the first floor and restrooms
4> The Complete repair of the Basin Park Hotel elevator
5> The Development of a lobby bakery/deli concept that would also accommodate the need of convenience items in the evening
6> The redevelopment of the Basin Park Hotel Awning with Hotel Logo on one side and Balcony restaurant on the adjacent angle
7> The redevelopment of the Basin Park Hotel Ballroom into a more distinct wedding destination
8> The development of the historical theme and supported with artifacts from the lobby throughout the top floor whereas the property may be marketed as a destination and symbol of history captured.

REQUEST
To make this plan a reality, we must find a way to develop a partnership to get the hotel through the difficult periods it has been experiencing for the past decade and jump-start its performance. Therefore we are respectfully requesting of the city:

The Support and Development of “Spring St” Entertainment District
1> That an entertainment district be allowed to develop from Upper Mountain St down to the Spring and Center intersection. Sound restrictions will need to be lessened by 20 decibels in the district until 11 pm
2> The guarantee of musicians scheduled in the park to perform a minimum of Mon, Wed, and Fri throughout the May – Nov season
3> The recruitment of the Opera of the Ozarks to perform two days per week free of charge in the city auditorium
4> Regularly scheduled weekday entertainment (movies/shows/theater)in the auditorium
5> That Spring St be closed to thoroughfare from Upper Mountain St to Center St
Friday 8 PM – 1AM
Saturday 8PM – 1 AM
These closure would be in effect 3/15/02 - 11/15 /02
6> That the city investigate adding lighting to Spring St in the entertainment district
7> Loosen restrictions on street musicians – providing incentives to play at set locations

Improvements on the Hotel Loading and Parking procedures
1> Support the Parking Loop Proposal and lessen congestion
2> Add the traffic controller to Center and Spring St and ensure traffic controllers are budgeted March 15 – December 15
3> The signage and lighting of the Cities stairwell from center street to Main St
4> The development of a hotel only loading zone with full street identification
5> The addition of poles and lighting to the loading zones

Beautification and logistical improvements
1> Request that public works Widen Mountain street and grade the entrance from Mountain on to Main street lessening a public welfare concern and making the route safer for the MANY guests who find this street on their own accord

Valet and Basin Park Hotel business incentives
1> Complimentary usage of the cities Main St parking lot from 5Pm until 10am
2> Complimentary usage of the bandshell for weddings of 100 guests or more for periods of 1 hour if reserved one month in advance or greater. No more than 30% of the park can be reserved at any one time
3> Permission and approvals for the above

IN CONCLUSION
We have a true interest in the success of Downtown Eureka Springs and a proven track record for success. Although we are aware of the many naysayers, The Basin Park Hotel has survived and positioned itself for growth. The next challenges however exist on the exterior of the building. We are asking for your support in this initial phase and then pledge support for the long-term development of this most important area of our town

EUREKA SPRINGS
BUSINESS DISTRICT

Economic Viability Improvement Solutions

Prepared by
Jack Moyer, General Manager
The 1886 Crescent Hotel & Spa
The 1905 Basin Park Hotel

December, 2001

Royal Alcott
06-09-2002, 12:31 PM
Jack-

You left out the two most important words: OR ELSE!

All the new shops and entertainment venues for 62 getting to you?

becsflowers
06-09-2002, 04:29 PM
Before I begin, this is a somewhat long post. These are also my personal opinions and reactions to the "plan/proposal", prepared and submitted to the City of Eureka Springs by the General Manager of Basin Park Hotel, Jack Moyer.
I DO want to stress that I believe that the Basin Park Hotel is one of the finest Hotels in Eureka Springs, and they have come a long way from where they used to be just a few short years ago.
The Roenigks have invested a lot of time and money into preserving a piece of our history and architechture. As a city resident and citizen of Eureka, I am glad to see such interest in our beautiful Ozark treasures, and wish them nothing but success in their multi-business ventures, whatever they may be.
HOWEVER.
I don't think it is fair for a private business to appeal to a whole city of people with a "plan" to become "partners" in their business affairs. That's what creating "shares" and selling "stock" is all about. The City of Eureka Springs is not on Wall Street. (Although Wall Street IS in Eureka...LOL!)
Below are some items I have pulled from the "plan" (in quotations), and questions(Q) or comments(C) below each paragraph.

"I do however think for that to happen it would be important that the players a> read the proposal and b> Know the current policy, how it is being applied and how this request would nominally revise the existing policy"

Q: who ARE the "players"? To involve the city, EVERY citizen of it is a player.

"The Basin Park Hotel has suffered from another year of negative cash flow totaling four for the Roenigks and an estimated 16th consecutive year that revenues minus expenses minus debt service was a number less than zero."

C:That is not unusual for businesses who invest huge sums of money into their projects at times when economic times are weak due to unforseen happenings in our country and abroad.

".....has yielded impressive revenue results .... However, The Basin Park Hotel’s operating profits remain unacceptable."

C:There must be a better way to budget the money! You simply can NOT spend more than you are taking in without cutting services or raising your prices. Raise your prices.

"Worth noting, The Basin Park Hotel also offers its bathrooms for use by the general public… a highly uncommon practice among other hotels in the district."

C: Yes, that IS nice of you. But there are public restrooms at the Auditorium, and if it was neccessary for your budget to close yours to the public, I imagine all the "partners" of this city would understand your plight and not object to your doing so.

"Although the gross revenue trend may be impressive, expenses to support such an operation are growing at levels far faster than the revenue trend to support such action. The Basin Park Hotel of year 2001 is not economically viable as a commercial center and action must be made to reduce services or make the property more user-friendly and accessible. There are several steps that we have identified to reverse this negative trend. A public private partnership is now of the utmost urgency."

C:The steps you have identified to "reverse your negative trend" do not reflect the ADMINISTRATION of your budget, which is what this all seems to REALLY be about. You need some serious investors in your business. See the above: "Create stock and sell shares".

"To make this plan a reality, we must find a way to develop a partnership to get the hotel through the difficult periods it has been experiencing for the past decade and jump-start its performance."

C:"Create stock and sell shares."

"Therefore we are respectfully requesting of the city:
....Sound restrictions will need to be lessened by 20 decibels in the district until 11 pm"

C:Now, THIS is a reasonable request of your "partners", as it IS a city wide issue that would benefit all. Except those who need to insulate their hotels for sound...

"2> The guarantee of musicians scheduled in the park to perform a minimum of Mon, Wed, and Fri throughout the May – Nov season"

Q: You want the city to GUARANTEE that MUSICIANS will be on schedule or even SHOW UP?

"3> The recruitment of the Opera of the Ozarks to perform two days per week free of charge in the city auditorium"

Q: Have you even brought this up to any of the Opera people? What do they think about donating 2 days a week?

"4> Regularly scheduled weekday entertainment (movies/shows/theater)in the auditorium"

C:That's what I thought they were doing now.

"5> That Spring St be closed to thoroughfare from Upper Mountain St to Center St
Friday 8 PM – 1AM
Saturday 8PM – 1 AM"

C: My family LIVES in the historic district neighborhood that would be affected by the traffic being detoured up Howell Street or one of the other greatly inclined narrow side streets. Key words: we LIVE here.

"7> Loosen restrictions on street musicians – providing incentives to play at set locations"

C:Get rid of restrictions on street musicians PERIOD. They are just one band of ARTISTS who MADE this town appealing during the 70's, enabling the shops downtown to open and prosper.

"Improvements on the Hotel Loading and Parking procedures
1> Support the Parking Loop Proposal and lessen congestion"

C: Yes. That is a reasonable request and one that could make our city more appealing. Opening up the streets to pedestrian, buggy and trolley trafic would be charming and a draw to our community. Should the city do that, offer free trolly passes to downtown store merchants for their employees. Or budget a portion of the CAPC tax to purchase every employee a monthly pass.

"2> Add the traffic controller to Center and Spring St and ensure traffic controllers are budgeted March 15 – December 15"

Q: What is a "traffic controller"? Is that like a stop light or something?

"3> The signage and lighting of the Cities stairwell from center street to Main St"

C: Yes, another smart thing that contributes to the well being of all as a whole.

"4> The development of a hotel only loading zone with full street identification"

C: This, too, is a reasonable request. All world class hotels have this area out fron designated as such. Not having one can be viewed as not very appealing to your business.

"5> The addition of poles and lighting to the loading zones"

C: Sorry, but again this sounds like a personal business liability issue that the requesting party needs to be responsible for.

"We have a true interest in the success of Downtown Eureka Springs"

C: Me too. I live and pay taxes here.

"...and a proven track record for success."

C: Then pull yourselves up by the bootstraps and quit whining about the Hotel's success depending on financing from the city for it's survival. That's what banks are for.

"The Basin Park Hotel has survived and positioned itself for growth. The next challenges however exist on the exterior of the building."

C: I disagree. You need to face your challenges on the inside first, get a handle on your budget, and find some private investors or professional planners to help you meet your expenses while you enjoy your profits that are sure to come your way as the reward for all your hard work.

"EUREKA SPRINGS
BUSINESS DISTRICT

Economic Viability Improvement Solutions"

Q: Is this ANOTHER way to say "ESIC/CDP...EVIS? Put an "L" in it, and ya have ELVIS!

sweetness&light
06-09-2002, 04:52 PM
I wrote a post in reply to reading this for the second time and even made a few suggstions of things no one is currently doing to help the visitors to have a better time once they get here. I re-read it and deleted it.

Why bother.

becsflowers
06-09-2002, 05:19 PM
Oh, our chocolate-lover lovely! Because YOUR 2 cents worth is just as important as everyone else's, your reverened Sweetness! Your right to free speech must NOT be squelched! We LOVE your good natured humor and insight!

Thom Rowe
06-09-2002, 06:00 PM
I think the Basin Park should keep its food service and get rid of the lodging.In place of the lodging use the space for museums,
antiques, flea market space, something along the line of a Bass Pro in Springfield
and put in some real nice bathrooms and charge .50 cents to get in.

sweetness&light
06-09-2002, 07:20 PM
Well, becs, I had answers for their interesting "partnership" where the partners pay for the ship. However, any time anyone HAS any answers that are not what that person wants to hear...even though these answers are backed up with logic, common sense (that could be the problem right there), that person is labeled a "naysayer," which is how they ended wording their wish list. I don't care if anyone calls me a naysayer, I can take it. But to end the presentation announcing "although we are aware of the many naysayers...." is to admit it has no chance.

jw, I concur whole heartedly with your opinion the city should not be shouldering any financial assistance for private business. It equals we, the taxpaying public, helping to keep them in private business. Now if they were the major employer here, that would be a whole 'nother matter because it would involve many jobs and lives of our citizens.

This plan involves a financial investment that had been in red ink years before the present owners bought it. With the decline in tourism this last decade, that surely was a deciding factor in making the purchase, plus all the massive amounts of money poured into the hotel to try and bring it back to its former self. How could it possibly be in the black in a short time with so much money sunk into it without raising prices substantially? And then we have the matter of will people pay much higher prices to stay there if there are other comparable or better lodging facilities? Most travelers are looking for the best deal for their money, while they also want to feel they are being spoiled.

becs, you put most of what I had to say excellently. I did suggest since it was in the paper that the Basin's neighbors don't seem to get along with them, that a meeting with all of the businesses affected would have been a good neighbor way of telling them the plan and what, if anything, was in it to benefit them before taking it to the council or the public. They probably already did that.

Royal Alcott
06-09-2002, 10:28 PM
Without the numbers the plan and the commentary are academic.

How much money is needed, from what sources and for how many years.

The city council is responsible for ways and means. Without a line item budget there can be no rational vote on this plan.

Does Jack think he has the votes in the council to commit the city without the numbers?

Royal Alcott
06-11-2002, 08:43 PM
Millions for an ad agency and a BIG tin cup for city handouts?