PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Babb at the Copacabana Sunday

Lita
10-15-2003, 08:10 AM
Kenny Babb will be coming from Oklahoma this coming Sunday to perform at the Copa. Most of you that have lived here a long time in Eureka, remember Kenny from Diamond Lil's and Eureka Live. He is a hell of a keyboard player, and has that bluesy type voice !
He is funny and great about audience participation. We look forward to getting him back to Eureka !

No cover charge....just a fun War Eagle weekend at the Copa !

Also, there will be dancing and karaoke this weekend. I will be the karaoke DJ Friday, and Tiny will be the Karoke DJ on Saturday this weekend.

Thanks,

Lita

Lita
10-15-2003, 08:14 AM
oops, I forgot to tell you times.....

Friday 8:30 to 2:00 a.m.
Saturday Noon to 2:00 a.m.
Sunday with Kenny Babb 2:00 to 6:00 p.m. (we open at noon).

Thanks,

Lita
www.copacabanaclub.com (http://www.copacabanaclub.com)

Cris Dunnam
10-15-2003, 10:11 AM
Kenny has been a perennial piano man in eureka clubs & bars for years. Many times long ago I sat in w/ him on bass. Kenny has a huge repitoir of popular songs and always manages to win the crowds over.

Good to see him back in our neck of the woods!

If I don’t make it there, tell him I said “tweet tweet!”

10-15-2003, 08:04 PM
Yes, but will he have the Babettes? (I can't believe I'm going to type this…) lol!

Lita
10-15-2003, 10:29 PM
OMG.......I forgot all about the Babettes !
Who are you 2100!!?? You must go back to the Eureka Live days when Joe and Denise had it.
(I was one of the Babettes)........I can't beleive you remember that ! We girls use to have a blast singing along with Kenny !

Now you really have me curious as to who you are ! LOL !

Cyberphillics
10-16-2003, 06:37 AM
Is there going to be a Kenny Babb doll there? I remember Diamond Lil's always displayed a Kenny Babb Doll.

Cris Dunnam
10-16-2003, 06:47 AM
The history of the Babettes goes back before the early days of Eureka Live. I think it was around 1986, back in the days of "Doolin's."

Cyberphillics
10-16-2003, 06:50 AM
Okay I can not remember where Doolins was...I know the name but can not picture the location????????????? I hate it when this happens!

------------------
Cyberphillics
846 Valhalla Drive
Eureka Springs, AR 72632
david@cyberphillics.com
Cyberphillics (http://www.cyberphillics.com)

Cris Dunnam
10-16-2003, 06:51 AM
Doolin's, The Yacht Club, The Downstairs Club, Ramada Bar, whatever the first bar on the second floor of the Basin Park Hotel was called . . .

. . . anybody remember these places?

Cris Dunnam
10-16-2003, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Cyberphillics:
Okay I can not remember where Doolins was...I know the name but can not picture the location????????????? I hate it when this happens!

Behind "the bench" at the corner by the New Orleans.

Lita
10-16-2003, 08:13 AM
I remember Doolin's. I also remember The Downstairs Club (I am pretty sure Joe McClung had it back then, late 70's or early 80's). The Yacht Club, of course that was next to the Marina at Holiday Island. The Ramada Bar.....hmmmmm....are you talking about Sebastians, which is now Jesters ? OR, are you talking about The Trolley Car Club from Eureka Inn....years ago ? One of my favorites back then was Lazy Pierres, where the old Salebarn use to be across from the Magic Theatre on 23. There was also The Disco, when Robert Feagan had it back in the 70's. Damn ......I am starting to feel old. (although, waaaaaaay back then, my I.D. came from the National Enquieror)...LOL.

As far as the "Doll", Kenny use to have on stage.......I am sure it had to be a blow up doll ! Am I right ?

I don't remember the Basin's Bar on the 2nd floor back then....I am stumped on that one.
We also must not forget the Quarter, and the Top Hat.

Yes, Kenny has been around Eureka for years. And you are right Cris, he did always win the crowds over ! I wish he wasn't so busy in Oklahoma, I would have him more often !

PMilam
10-16-2003, 08:36 AM
The Quiet Night, High Hat, Peaches, THE Barn @ HI... THE coffee shop.. Ted Jones guitars. what was the name of the music store that was above Chelseas?
Ambo.. you could buy groceries in downtown Eureka.
what a wonderful time to be here! Nobody had any money.. well, a few that still do.. but the rest of us got buy on so little, and had such wonderful time. Did you see the Gonzo Band at the Crescent? Willis Allen Ramsey at the Quiet Night?

Lita
10-16-2003, 09:16 AM
PMILAM,

Where was the Quiet Night ? I don't remember that one.
Were you at the Crescent for Willie Nelsons Birthday bash in 78 or 79 ?
OMG.....I am now remembering Claudes' Bakery.
Just when I thought Alzheimers had set in...I am starting to remember these things now. lol.

PMilam
10-16-2003, 10:05 AM
The Quiet Night was downstairs in the New Orleans.
Danny and Mimi Paulette ran it. Home to some incredible halloween parties..
Yep, was there for Willie. My sister, Donna and one of my exes from Texas, Gary P. Nunn co-wtote "The Last Thing I Needed". Donna sang it on stage with him.. very exciting time.

10-16-2003, 11:48 AM
The history of the Babettes goes back to early Manny & Vernon Center Street. I knew Kenny, he lived here then. It was his first performance there and, after hours, he and I were talking. He was doing the 'One Man Band' kind of thing with his keyboard so I commented that he was good, but that I really liked the Babbettes the best. He's been using it ever since!

S. Jones
10-17-2003, 05:05 AM
Havent seen Kenny in years.

Lita
10-17-2003, 12:47 PM
S.Jones,

He has come in to visit at the Copa a couple times this year. I booked him to play probably 4 months ago. There was a local couple who came in yesterday and said they had post postponed their vacation because they want to be here to see Kenny play again. Hope you can make it in to see him.
With season not far from winding down, I probably won't get him back until next season. He's still such a hoot !

ArkansawHillbillys
10-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Lita...we were shocked to come into your club last night and find Hank Williams, Jr. sitting at the bar. Why is this such a big secret? I'd think you'd want people to know. Is he going to be there again tonight?

Sorry for letting the cat out of the bag!

Have A Great Day!

arjay
10-17-2003, 03:01 PM
shush,y'all! everybody knows what happens at the Copa stays at the Copa...

[This message has been edited by arjay (edited 10-17-2003).]

Lita
10-17-2003, 03:01 PM
He was out at Freds at Holiday Island yesterday. I couldn't resist.......so I bought him. Cheap too ! I think he was only 19.95 ! LOL ! Now I have the Wolfman, James Brown, Hank Jr., the Wicked Witch, and Blues Santa dancing at the bar !

Yesterday we started on the Copa Halloween Decorations....it's looking great, but we only had time to get half of it done. Next project will be hanging all of those cobwebs ! (I also bought a new Frankenstein this year). He will be UP soon.....literally.
Kenny will look great up on the stage with all of those spooky critters around him !

Lita
10-17-2003, 03:05 PM
LMAO......arjay !!!

As my mother always use to say "some things are better left unsaid". lol.

ArkansawHillbillys
10-17-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by arjay:
shush,y'all! everybody knows what happens at the Copa stays at the Copa...

[This message has been edited by arjay (edited 10-17-2003).]

arjay....that's not true! I'll tell you all I know...FOR A PRICE! LMAOROTF

Cyberphillics
10-19-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Lita:

As far as the "Doll", Kenny use to have on stage.......I am sure it had to be a blow up doll ! Am I right ?

No If I remember correctly...keep in mind I drank real heavy back then, it was a Gnome doll with peach colored hair. This was just one of Vance Brown's promo's for Kenny.

------------------
Cyberphillics
846 Valhalla Drive
Eureka Springs, AR 72632
david@cyberphillics.com

Cyberphillics
10-19-2003, 09:29 PM
Well Lita, I am sorry you did not feel well enough to come see Kenny but we did. Here are a couple of shots I took.

http://www.cyberphillics.com/geekfestpost1.jpg

Here is Kenny and the Babbettes!

http://www.cyberphillics.com/geekfestpost2.jpg

Here is Kenny acting like Dolly!...Boy don't quit your day job!

He sounded great as alway, just not a good crowd to play off of. Shame on Eureka...Kenny must have locals to play off of. Oh well maybe next time! It was a good time and the Crab Legs were great!!!

------------------
Cyberphillics
846 Valhalla Drive
Eureka Springs, AR 72632
david@cyberphillics.com

Cris Dunnam
10-20-2003, 07:50 AM
I was there

Lita
10-20-2003, 08:39 AM
Glad you got to come in Cris, wish I could have.
Thanks for the pics posted above. At least I now have a visual of Kenny on the stage.
I now have one less tooth in my mouth, thanks to my Dentist going into his office on a sunday. WHEW ! THANK GOD ! I was in some MAJOR PAIN yesterday when Kenny was playing. I really wish I could have seen him. Sounds like we weren't very busy. I know most all of the locals were working since it was War Eagle, so his local followers didn't get to see him. I will have him back again. You are right David, he does require a crowd, that's when he is at his best !

Hope everyone had a great weekend !

Lita

Aries76
10-20-2003, 10:31 PM
Well,
I did see the Oops couple there listening to Kenny Babb. They sure are a sweet couple. And so dignified, too. They seem a little uptight for the Copa crowd, ya think? I heard Mr. Oops got crabs. Oh that's right, but he did ask for them. Hope Lita is now recovering with one less tooth and feeling better. Did hear Oops's were recovering nicely, also. Mr. Oops couldn't sit down for three days.

Lita
10-21-2003, 10:42 AM
Aries,
The Oops's are far from "uptight" ! lol ! Trust me on that one. They didn't seem uptight when we girls had Mr. Oops sandwiched on the dance floor ! LOL ! (you should have seen that one)! They are really a great couple. One thing I don't understand is , why could Mr. Oops not sit down for three days ? .....this should be good !