PDA

View Full Version : Citizen Of the Week

Any Mouse 2.0
11-28-2003, 08:20 AM
I am ashamed of the Lovely County Citizen. In last weeks paper there is an article about how three men pulled another from a burning truck right before it exploded yet this weeks COW is a DEAD HORSE. Hello I thought the COW was for some person who did something great. I do not believe the dead horse was as important as people risking thier own lives to save another life.

Hey Citizen get a clue.

11-28-2003, 08:48 AM
Did you nominate them? Perhaps you might write them for nest week and do so.

littlemomma
11-28-2003, 09:05 AM
Please lighten up. I thought the "dead" horse was great. C.O.W is by people who nominate them... Did you nominate anyone? Guess not.
Happy holidays!!

Cris Dunnam
11-28-2003, 09:10 AM
Hey, it's Eureka Springs.
We elected a dead lady for mayor once.

Cris Dunnam
11-28-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Cris Dunnam:
Hey, it's Eureka Springs.
We elected a dead lady for mayor once.

AS mayor?
To mayor?

Any Mouse 2.0
11-28-2003, 09:32 AM
Why should I or anyone else have to nominate heros. Our so called news paper should have been jumping through hoops to make them the COW. Just goes to show they are not too interested is real news stories.

------------------
Squeek Squeek

[This message has been edited by Any Mouse 2.0 (edited 11-28-2003).]

littlemomma
11-28-2003, 10:00 AM
Because thats the way it works. PLease don't slam the citizen. They work very hard, to produce this awesome newspaper. What do YOU do to contribute to our COMMUNITY newspaper? Besides complaining about a dead horse? Am I sensing jealousy?

Lucinda
11-28-2003, 10:16 AM
The complaint worth posting from this weeks Citizen is over a dead horse.

No mention of the fact the paper is suing the city because state law does not allow the paper to publish legal notices.

No comment about the headliner - the paper found its own lawsuit more “newsworthy” than the story about A&E filming in Eureka. And the A&E story was not even finished - just trailed off with an incomplete sentence on page one.

I guess few people really care how much of our tax money is being wasted on frivolous personal agendas.

[This message has been edited by Lucinda (edited 11-28-2003).]

Any Mouse 2.0
11-28-2003, 01:19 PM
Lucinda you are right but I thought I would start with my smallest complaint.

How about the fact that they mention in the center section that the Doggie Shop Fashion show ended abruptly yet never mentioned why?

As for the story with no ending they probably had no room for it with all thier ads. Advertisers first, real news second.

------------------
Squeek Squeek

littlemomma
11-28-2003, 02:04 PM
Squeak Squeak.. I do have to agree with you on why they didn't explain about the Fashion Show ending so abruptly.

arjay
11-28-2003, 02:07 PM
I guess you get what you pay for.

James DeVito
11-28-2003, 04:44 PM
Cris, it was neither as mayor or to mayor, it was for city council.

Cris Dunnam
11-28-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by James DeVito:
Cris, it was neither as mayor or to mayor, it was for city council.

Ahhh yes . . .

How easily the details become foggy as I get older. lol

Thanks for the reminder, James!

checker
11-28-2003, 08:30 PM
What state law says that the City cannot publish legal advertisements in the Citizen?

James DeVito
11-28-2003, 10:10 PM
Arkansas Code Annotated 14-55-206 is all the Citizen refers to. Seems to me the Citizen should be picking a fight with the state. City Hall referred to an Attorney General`s opinion, but no one has seen it.

Becky Davis
11-29-2003, 07:02 AM
I can see the citizens COW because the puter doesn't give it to me.
Why did they choose a dead horse? Is it because everybody keeps beating it?

Kaye Miller
11-29-2003, 07:37 AM
Why is this so surprising to everyone?? This is Eureka.

Did anyone read the article a few weeks ago (in the Citizen) where the grants were given in several areas? What struck me as odd is the animal shelter received over $l,000.00 and $350.00 was given to help area residents pay for medicines they could not afford.

Maybe I am the only one who sees something wrong with this picture.

sweetness&light
11-29-2003, 08:20 AM
Maybe no one nominated anyone for Citizen of the Week or the nominee(s) weren't exactly up to snuff....or used too much of it.

According to reports, the horse seemed to have met all requirements for Citizen of the Week: he was a tireless worker, volunteered (let the kids brush and pet him), changed his ways from randy cowboy's horse to dedicated, trusted and loyal hard worker and welcome neighbor who everybody loved.

Sounds like a good citizen to me, but then what do I know? I've always preferred the upper crust barnyard boys.

11-29-2003, 08:30 AM
Cimarron made COW because he was taking positive actions to bring goodness to the world, instead of complaining about those who would try.

checker
11-29-2003, 09:57 AM
interesting reading for some I'm sure:

14-55-206. Publishing or posting requirements.
(a)(1)(A) All bylaws or ordinances of a general or permanent nature and all those imposing any fine, penalty, or forfeiture shall be published in some newspaper published in the municipality.
(B) In municipalities in which no newspaper is published, written or printed notice posted in five (5) of the most public places designated by the governing body in an ordinance or minutes of the governing body shall be deemed a sufficient publication of any law or ordinance.
(2) It shall be deemed a sufficient defense to any suit or prosecution of such fine, penalty, or forfeiture to show that no notice was given as provided herein.
(b) As to ordinances establishing rules and regulations for zoning, construction of buildings, the installation of plumbing, the installation of electric wiring, or other similar work, where such rules and regulations have been printed as a code in book form, the code or provisions thereof may be published by the municipality by reference to title of the code without further publication or posting thereof. However, no fewer than three (3) copies of the code shall be filed for use and examination by the public in the office of the clerk or recorder of the municipality subsequent to the adoption thereof.
History. Acts 1949, No. 36, § 1; A.S.A. 1947, § 19-2404; Acts 1993, No. 295, § 2.

ArkansawHillbillys
11-29-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by checker:
interesting reading for some I'm sure:

14-55-206. Publishing or posting requirements.
(a)(1)(A) All bylaws or ordinances of a general or permanent nature and all those imposing any fine, penalty, or forfeiture shall be published in some newspaper published in the municipality.
(

Hm..that's interesting. Where is the home office of the Citizen? Is it within Eureka's city limits and is it published within the city limits? Just a thought?

Cris Dunnam
11-29-2003, 10:38 AM
"Published" is a real matter of definition here. I'm not sure that either local paper is actually printed in this county. The Citizen has it's office in Downtown Eureka Springs. Times-Echo offices are at Holiday Island - and the publisher is in Berryville.

So, is "published" where the printing occurs? Where the publisher has an office? Where the work is actually done? Very gray area.

We should realize, however, we are lucky to have two papers - regardless of where we might find faults in either. So many big city rags are satellite fed containers of other people's news. Even the Demo-Zette content varies from Little Rock to Eureka Springs.

ArkansawHillbillys
11-29-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Any Mouse 2.0:
I am ashamed of the Lovely County Citizen. In last weeks paper there is an article about how three men pulled another from a burning truck right before it exploded yet this weeks COW is a DEAD HORSE. Hello I thought the COW was for some person who did something great. I do not believe the dead horse was as important as people risking thier own lives to save another life.

Hey Citizen get a clue.

Hmmmm...A dead horse? I have to agree with you here Mouse.... those guys were more than just a Citizen of the week... they were real Hero's and should be publically recognized with more than just a news article. I also agree that people like that should not have to be nominated in order to receive recognition as Citizen Of The Week. Why the Citizen recognized a dead horse is unknown to me. I suppose Cimaron or whatever its (the horse) name was had some political clout or perhaps was owned by a democrat. Heck, maybe it was even registered to vote! LOL

ArkansawHillbillys
11-29-2003, 11:10 AM
"Published" is a real matter of definition here. I'm not sure that either local paper is actually printed in this county. The Citizen has it's office in Downtown Eureka Springs. Times-Echo offices are at Holiday Island - and the publisher is in Berryville.

So, is "published" where the printing occurs? Where the publisher has an office? Where the work is actually done? Very gray area.

We should realize, however, we are lucky to have two papers - regardless of where we might find faults in either. So many big city rags are satellite fed containers of other people's news. Even the Demo-Zette content varies from Little Rock to Eureka Springs.

Cris..I think you will find "published" as being where the legal address is on the business license. I would think the Citizen has a business license?

ArkansawHillbillys
11-29-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by 2100:
Cimarron made COW because he was taking positive actions to bring goodness to the world, instead of complaining about those who would try.

Geeeez! 2100 Was Cimarron's real name Mr. Ed? How do you know he wasn't complaining? I bet if we could have gotten it from the horses mouth, we might be surprised what it would tell us. A talking horse? Hmm...interesting! lol

Cris Dunnam
11-29-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by ArkansawHillbillys:
Cris..I think you will find . . .

I can always rely on you letting me know what you think, AH.

ArkansawHillbillys
11-29-2003, 02:52 PM

Ditto...Cris! Should you be immune from the scrutiny of this board? I guess that would be everyone's dream..To post what they think or feel and not have anyone disagree with them. What a boring BBS it would become, don't you think? And of course if giving you correct information about what you posted offends you, I apologize. I was only trying to help by offering what a publisher friend told me. Of course my information could be wrong and if it is, I will not be offended if you give it to us correctly. I will accept it as free education...Thanks! LOL

Have A Great Day!

[This message has been edited by ArkansawHillbillys (edited 11-29-2003).]

Cris Dunnam
11-29-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by ArkansawHillbillys:
Ditto...Cris! Should you be immune from the scrutiny of this board? I guess that would be everyone's dream..To post what they think or feel and not have anyone disagree with them.

I suppose the brevity of my response post was misinterpreted as offense. You're more than welcome to disagree with me - and often do on most subjects, AH. As a point of accuracy however, you did not reply to my original post in disagreement, as I did not present a position related to your response.

I am cognizant enough to understand the basic subtleties of business licensing and how they could very well be the determining administrative factor as to the question of where a newspaper is published. I was (and this is where I likely lost you) trying to pose a more ethereal question of how physical location may not necessitate that definition. “Publish” is a very active verb.

I have also learned in this exchange that I needn’t respond to everything addressed to me.

ArkansawHillbillys
11-29-2003, 06:49 PM

Cris, I apologize if I took the "jest" of this comment wrong. I was not replying to your post to correct you or show you that I was any smarter than you. I simply was stating a fact that under Arkansas law, I believed to be true since I got it straight from the mouth of a friend that publishes a newpaper in Arkansas. Did I take your remark (above) wrong? If so, then would you mind explaining why you even posted it and what you meant by it?

[This message has been edited by ArkansawHillbillys (edited 11-29-2003).]

mufti
11-29-2003, 07:30 PM
Main Entry: soph·o·mor·ic
Pronunciation: "säf-'mOr-ik, -'mor-, -'mär- also "sof- or "sä-f&- or "so-f&-
Function: adjective
Date: 1813
1 : conceited and overconfident of knowledge but poorly informed and immature
2 : of, relating to, or characteristic of a sophomore

James DeVito
11-30-2003, 06:49 PM
Back to the Citizen lawsuit against the city...I am guessing that the Citizen is a member of the Arkansas Press Association. Along with our City Attorney the APA has stated that they do not believe the Lovely County Citizen has the position to publish public notices. The Citizen should be trying to change the Arkansas Legislature and the APA`s stance on what constitutes a newspaper of record. The City(you and I) will have to pay to defend the city in this suit. And then the Citizen wants to do business with us!

becauseican
11-30-2003, 07:11 PM
did'nt i read in the citizen that they were using kent crow to represent them...does'nt he represent the city in other cases?
i thought i heard that kathy was a private investor in the citizen. isnt there some kind of a conflict here!

James DeVito
12-01-2003, 02:53 PM
I guessed wrong, the Citizen is not a member of the APA. My apologies. A mistake on this board hardly compares to a mistake in a paper with a circulation of 6,250 and a presumption of accuracy.