PDA

View Full Version : Ethnic titles of respect

Royal Alcott
06-07-2002, 07:22 PM
Every language has words and phrases of respect that are written or spoken before a person's name.

Spend even a little time in a foreign country and you learn them.

Mr. DeVito once left an official meeting complaining that he was not being shown the respect he deserved. (I have the tape)

Now he is complaining about a lack of ethnic respect.

Fair enough.

In Italian, Il Duce translates "The Captain". He does not like the term used in association with himself.

In Latin, Ave Caesar translates "Hail Caesar", an ethnic title of respect shouted by millions that has echoed throughout history for 2000 years. Would that please him?

He wants to be called "mayor", a title he does not respect.

Go figure.

James DeVito
06-08-2002, 10:10 AM
Royal, if your use of the term il Duce in reference to me was "the Captain" than I will apologize to you for my inference that you were insensitive. I would think that a casual poll of most people when asked what il Duce meant, there response would be, the dictator Mussolini. In the future to avoid any confusion, please do not use that term in reference to me.
On a different yet related topic, Mr. Casteel is wondering whether to charge the man in Saturdays assault with a hate crime. Of course he should. His attack was based solely on the mans ethnicity. Why the extra penalty for a hate crime? Not only was THAT man attacked because of his ethnicity but every other person of that nationality was also attacked. That assault was on the psyche of everyone who claims that heritage. We must go out of our way to make our neighbors feel at home here and to prove to them that this was an isolated incident and that it will not be tolerated.

CyberPsychDoc
06-08-2002, 12:44 PM
Amen James, and thank you!

CPD

leon bee
06-08-2002, 12:55 PM
How do we know the circumstances of that attack?

Rachal
06-08-2002, 03:05 PM
From the Lovely County Citizen:

"An affidavit of probable cause said Mato, Jose Tapia, Gillermo
Garnica, Saul Ibarra and Lupe Tapia were sitting by the steps across
from the post office on Spring Street at 2:30 a.m. Saturday when a white
male walked from the Carroll County Abstract parking lot and yelled,
F***ing Mexicans! F***ing Mexicans! The man threw a beer bottle at the
Hispanics while they were sitting on the steps."

Royal Alcott
06-08-2002, 05:27 PM
Mr. Casteel went after the mayor to get his resignation.

When the mayor refused to resign, Mr. Casteel took him to court.

The judge threw the case out.

Was that a hate harrassment and prosecution, Mr. DeVito?