PDA

View Full Version : Pardon me for being a grouch, but ...

Kim Yonkee
11-28-2003, 02:52 AM
Andy McDonald, where are you? I need somebody to talk me off the ledge.

I was trying to be nice. Get along. Go along. Just leave everybody alone to chat about holiday recipes. But I have to confess: I'm having an obsessive-compulsive moment tonight. (Yeah, right. I know. And now for something completely different. http://www.geekfest.com/ubb/wink.gif)

While we all ate our turkey 'n stuffing today, another 17,000 reservists were told to report for the "mission accomplished" war that even the staunchist of Republican advocates are beginning to admit they don't really understand.

An unknown number of reservists discussed their plans for declaring bankruptcy and moving out of their foreclosed-upon homes ... and an unknown number of dependents of food-stamped, patriotic military servicepeople had their Thanksgiving dinner courtesy of Saint Vincent DePaul and the Salvation Army.

Alan Simpson had a pretty good day, I think. That would be the former Senator who pubicly launched the current Medicare Social Initiative by challenging AARP's tax-exemption back in 1995 with the un-subtle threat: "The livelihood of your exemption is directly proptional to the vigor of your fight against Medicare advancements." OK. We're advanced now. And I can just see Alan, whom I have known since I wore one of those circa-1960 dresses with frisbee-like iron petticoats and served Vienna sausages 'n meatballs n toothpicks at Party Gatherings...raising his glass of Jack on the rocks to toast the righteousness of the cause that celebrates People Who Matter.

On the other hand, I am thankful that our own group insurance plan cost is only going up 20% for 2004.

I guess.

(If you have kids who are available for adoption and future sale into slavery, please write. Looks like I'm going to need them in 2005 and thereafter ... but right now? It's all good. CNN tells me so, and I believe everthing I hear on TV.)

I am thankful that I am not in the additional 10% of people who have fallen below the Federal poverty line since 2000. Only 1 in 8 of US citizens are officially regarded as "poverty stricken" here in the world's last standing superpower, our country with the highest child-poverty rate in all the industrialized world ... and these are acceptable losses, right? (At least, these are acceptable losses in the sense that catsup is a vegetable for the purpose of school lunch programs.)

So help me, Andy. You've gotta help me. You are the official representative on Geekfest of those who express the power of positive thinking. Left to my own devices, I would tend to scream things like, "Who gives a *&$*#!@ about Michael Jackson and Waldorf salad when the world has gone mad? Mad??!"

Left to my own devices, I have this creepy feeling that the country we all thought we lived in will be changed into something that we would invade and restore to democracy (in our better days) by people who know they can count on our national tendency to avoid the difficult and contentious in favor of discussions about the latest Survivor who was voted off the island.

I don't like that idea ... but then, it's like my friend Calvin always tells me: "Kim, you're an asshole." Well, yeah. True. It's not like I'm in denial about it. I just want to learn to be well-behaved enough so that some of ya'll will visit me in political-radical prison. I want someone to bake me those cakes with the files in 'em when they haul me away.

So tell me ... Andy? Anybody? Where IS that mysterious line between focusing on happy things and manifesting happy results ... versus blissfully fiddling as the incendiary chunks fall on the heads of usn's flaming citizens of Rome? Can somebody tell me when it's appropriate to put on the formal, festive party-thong? I can't seem to figure it out by myself.

Becky Davis
11-28-2003, 06:32 AM
Paxil.

DrLewall
11-28-2003, 09:49 AM
Kim, for what it is worth to ya, I am the poorest "Millionaire" you'll ever know. As for "political" affiliations, not likely you'll see me siding with the enemy http://www.geekfest.com/ubb/biggrin.gif So come on down off the ledge and lets take a look at that "festive party-thong"!

DrLewall

Kim Yonkee
11-28-2003, 03:23 PM
OK. I asked my doctor, and he said that Paxil is for "social anxiety disorder."

Worried, I went to http://socialanxiety.factsforhealth.org to take the E-Z screening test for social anxiety disorder and you know what? I flunked.

While only a qualified medical practitioner can make a firm diagnosis (and prescribe the meds that I'll have to ask Leafhead to smuggle to me from Canada,) it seems that this is not my problem. Which means, I think, that Paxil won't help me.

What I need is the cure for what I am ... and that's one MAD COW. http://www.geekfest.com/ubb/wink.gif

PMilam
11-28-2003, 04:45 PM
Some day soon.. may become necessary to put Paxil or Zoloft, etc in the drinking water, unless we do the jobs ourselves.. volunteer, so to speak to turn our emtions off, and be happy, happy, happy.. no fears or worries... let the government do it's job.. and we'll do ours..

barf..
I keep debating myself... maybe I'm just depressed... or is the world really going insane...
welcome to the Matrix?

James DeVito
11-28-2003, 10:03 PM
Pat, the world has been insane since day II. I thought you would have noticed sooner.

PMilam
11-29-2003, 09:34 AM
James, surely, you noticed that I've noticed sooner... what with all those pinko things I've posted.
It just seems that it is escalating!.. and more people are simply taking pills to avoid facing them. It is a temptation.. ignorance can be bliss... or can create hell.