PDA

View Full Version : Mrs. Yoder's Kitchen

MotherMoon12
04-26-2002, 06:39 PM
We just had dinner at Mrs. Yoder's Kitchen and were thrilled with the food. The whole restaurant is non-smoking and very pretty. The food is wonderful!

Timm
04-27-2002, 12:16 AM
I was also very happy with the food and service there. I can't wait to be in Eureka again. That could be my new favorite spot.

3dog
04-27-2002, 09:21 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MotherMoon12:
We just had dinner at Mrs. Yoder's Kitchen and were thrilled with the food. The whole restaurant is non-smoking and very pretty. The food is wonderful![/QUO
I must have gone to a different restaurant. Yes,it is attractive. However I found the food and prices not comparable to similar restaurants in town. I would ask for other local opinions, go once and I think that will be it.

MotherMoon12
04-27-2002, 09:28 AM
And, Timm, we can't wait to have you home for a while. When will you be here?

Timm
04-27-2002, 11:11 AM
Pssss....I'll be home in a week........don't tell aaaaaannnyyyyone.

Malone
04-27-2002, 05:34 PM
We were there opening weekend. There were some bugs to work out but we plan to give a 2nd chance.

snowdiva
04-27-2002, 11:35 PM
I have been there four times. Each time its worse. The staff is wonderful as is the hostess. Its the same all the time. The cornbread is hard as a rock. The bread they bring to the table is never warm. Because of a lady I take care of, I have been to most buffets in town. The worst, in my opinion, is The Ozark Village(yes, it is nice of them to give free meals at tax time) and Forest Hills. The best is Inn of the Ozarks and the very best is The sheridan Buffet. Last Week at Mrs Yoders the cherry cobbler was so tart I couldn't eat it. So, I tried the other cobbler, the same.... There wasn't anything else, so.....that's it. Iam sure there will be people that will love all the places I can't stand and thats great! That's what keeps a business going.....different opinions!

sedona girl
04-27-2002, 11:40 PM
Ate there once and if that is considered goodcooking then some folks don't know what good cooking is. Fish was tough, the chicken was burnt and they had just fixed it. Potatoes were gross, and vegies not seasoned well.

just wondering
04-28-2002, 02:55 PM
Well as they say in France: Chacun a son gout!

Mishey
04-28-2002, 04:12 PM
What I didn't see was a LARGE buffet,by the way they had advertised it you would of thought there would of been more foods to choose from.I ate there once,it will be probably be the last.I must say though that they did a beautiful job on fixing it up and the staff was friendly, just to bad the food sucks.

Kaye Miller
04-28-2002, 06:12 PM
We had customers in today who had eaten there and they said it was great-especially the cobbler. So guess it is just a matter of taste.

They were told the Sunday menu would have larger selection. Maybe you should try Sunday.

snowdiva
04-28-2002, 06:40 PM
I tried it on Sunday...twice. I sure didn't see a difference. In fact, I thought it was worse....guess its a matter of taste.

Old Thing
04-29-2002, 08:20 AM
I ate there the opening week, and don't need to try it again. Myrtie Mae's is ALWAYS great, the service outstanding, surroundings pleasant. Their problem is that most people agree, so it is always crowded on Tuesdays and Thursdays. At Mrs. Yoder's, my meal was interrupted at almost every bite with some eager young server asking if everything was all right.

I thought it was worse than the red barn place, which at least has more variety.

BigBadBoy
04-29-2002, 07:32 PM
Give them some time. At least you can split the check and get takeout there. Place to park too.

karen pryor
04-30-2002, 05:45 AM
I've been keeping up with this topic and wondered if I should jump in or not.

When Tom and I were there, things were not "perfect," but we just assumed it was because everything was new and a system needed to be worked out.

Joe made his rounds to all diners, introduced himself as the owner and sincerly asked for input. We "ragged" him about running out of Chicken Fried Steak but didn't go into specific problems.

Has anyone talked to Joe about the dissatisfaction expressed? I think he really wants to know. I think he wants the local business as much as visitor business. I also think this town is big enough for another buffet-type restaurant. In my opinion, most restaurants mentioned here have their assets AND liabilities. It is only natural that we require good food, good service, affordable prices, inviting atmosphere but can all those things be achieved from the first day the doors are open? It takes time.

The night we were there, Joe and his family and partners were all there WORKING. They didn't hire a bunch of people and disappear.

I think they deserve a chance and ANY business that opens in Eureka Springs deserves local support.

Talk to Joe about your issues. He won't bite...unless you ask him to!

Just the ramblings of a middle aged woman very early in the morning!

Timm
04-30-2002, 10:42 AM
Right on Karen.

Schmacky
05-01-2002, 09:16 PM
I was at Mrs. Yoders today, and I want to let everyone know that it was the most fabulous meal I have had in town all year, even last year too!
One thing that I especially liked was my service. My server was a lady named Suzy. She was the perfect server. I could not believe how wonderful and entertaining she was to everyone. I think she needs a raise.
I also had spoken to the manager, I think her name was Stephanie. Anyway, she was very friendly and professional. I was amazed at how much she was on top of things. I would recommend anyone eating there.
My friend had the buffet, and it was so delightful. I had the NY Strip and it was the best ever, the Chef, Randy, Came out and Asked me how the steak was, Hello People, where can you get service like this????! Do you know anyone else in town that is so concerned about their customers? I think the McClungs picked the perfect people to run the show!
I will be back every week. :)

Turtle
05-02-2002, 09:47 AM
I've been to Mrs. Yoder's twice, I've found the food absolutely terrible. The cook should know how the food tastes before it ever comes out to the buffet. Also, the price is way too high for lunch.

kukukachu
05-02-2002, 09:55 AM
I've not been, and not going til the good reviews outweigh the bad. I've been hearing from friend that have gone bad food, small buffet and high price.
Schmacky, good to hear you had such a good experience... maybe someone is listening.
Feedback is a good thing, if it is acted upon.

MotherMoon12
05-02-2002, 10:11 AM
When we go out to dinner we create difficulty for the servers. We have 5 adults and 4 small children in our family. I believe it was Susie who took care of the 2 year old and helped him get his food. She was wonderful. The other young girl (I don't remember her name) was a former student of Chris's when he taught here in Eureka and she was delightful. There was a fine variety of foods on the buffet that appealed to all of us (young, old, and in between). I like to taste vegetables and don't like anything so highly seasoned that you aren't sure what you are eating. Amy is a vegetarian, the rest of us don't eat beef, the kids like simple things like mashed potatoes and mac and cheese. We were all very happy with the food. We have eaten in lots of restaurants here and in other towns and all around everything at Mrs. Yoder's was by far the best. I am allergic to cigarette smoke and the children certainly don't need to be exposed to second hand smoke so the non-smoking aspect is a definite plus. My kids have cooked, served, hostessed, etc. at almost every restaurant in this town at one time or another through the years. They were all impressed with Mrs. Yoder's food and the cleanliness. I don't say bad things about restaurants in town. If I don't have a good experience, I just don't go back. I will go back to Mrs. Yoder's.

Schmacky
05-02-2002, 10:51 PM
I was back again for dinner tonight and the food was just as wonderful as it has been everytime I come in! The service is always excellent and the restaurant is always spick and span! I had the buffet today and I can not believe how delicious it is, not only is the food fabulous, but the price is right!
Again, I think that Mrs. Yoders Kitchen is the best restaurant that this town has seen in a long, long time! It takes a great staff to have excellent service, food, and cleanliness. :) I would go there everyday. I am also bringing in groups of people from here on out! :)

Becky Davis
05-02-2002, 11:01 PM
Karen, if Joe can read this board he will get plenty of feedback.
I believe the place will be a go. The good reviews are picking up. I have a friend who had a restaurant in Baton Rouge. He said lord shoot him if he ever wanted another. It is tough work and tough to get a dependable staff and cook. When you talk about getting the bugs out, I hope they aren't in the kitchen.
Glad there is a place there that is kid friendly. I know we need family restaurants. But, I personally hate to eat in a restaurant with kids all over. (Sorry Mother Moon). I would have to peek in the window first and see if the coast is clear,

sweetness&light
05-02-2002, 11:47 PM
I must agree with Becky. I just have never developed a taste for kids; not enough spice or seasoning, some are too fresh and need to be properly aged, others are all noise and no meat on their bones and yet others have not been put thru the scrub cycle as yet to remove the grit and loose sand.

I guess it's a developed taste...like chocolate. You knew that was coming. oink!

MoonChild
05-03-2002, 09:35 AM
I enjoyed Mrs.Yoders very much. I am so glad we now have a decent buffet in this town that is affordable. The food was fresh and very tasty. I was so glad I could take my father out to a meal where we could all enjoy the variety and atmosphere for his b-day. We have simple tastes and don't ask for too much. Me and my siblings have worked and eaten in almost every resturant in town. The fact that it was so clean, didn't have an overpowering smell of garlic, grill smoke, and cigarette smoke won me over immediately. Then we enjoyed the food so much, I thought my son wasn't going to let us leave without getting all the recipies first. I will absolutely go back, and recommend it to the tourists.

tangler
05-03-2002, 10:37 PM
We had dinner at Mrs. Yoders this evening for the first time and I must say I was very pleased with my dining experience. I was treated like I was in my own kitchen with my family. The servers are so wonderful and efficient. They were so polite and cheerful. It made me feel at home.
The food was so scrumptious! I had the special tonight and an apple dumpling with ice cream, YuMMMMMMMYYYYY! I can tell that the chef has so much care into his work.
But I have to say one negative thing. That Mrs. Yoder's isn't serving breakfast! I can just imagine how wondeful the home-made biscuits and gravy would be.
Thanks so much for opening such a delightful restaurant with such intelligent staff.
Thanks again. :))))

CyberPsychDoc
05-04-2002, 01:30 AM
Not to cause a major flap since I really don't care one way or the other, but has anyone other than me noticed that all the now glowing comments about the restaurant in question are coming from people who just signed up to make these posts? They are all newbies except Mother Moon, and the only one of the newbies to list an address of any kind listed the same domain as Mother Moon does. Hummm. Who are all the rest - the ones without any emails?

CPD

BigBadBoy
05-04-2002, 01:53 AM
CPD, So True. My wife tired this place last night. Food was just ok at the very best. After she was seated the wait staff was never seen again. I tired it a few weeks back. Not impressed. The owner was there but stayed seated. He made no effort to greet me or ask how the food was. To be fair? I'll try them again. One more time.

Yank
05-04-2002, 08:59 AM
CPD, I think you have hit the nail on the head. I have seen a lot of advertising on this board masking itself as opinion and community information ..Not that there is anything wrong with that..The thing that you dont see is that there is a McClung involved and they seem to take a lot of heat from some sectors of the community. When the tourism season really gets going, even a not so great restaurant will have its proper place.
And yes, Yank is a relative newbie that seems to enjoy his anonimity. Sorry. Seems only fair as an outsider.

MotherMoon12
05-04-2002, 09:27 AM
Damn, I know you folks all have communists and terrorists and such under your beds, but this is ridiculous. I had a nice dinner on my husband's birthday and was happy about it. I wanted to share the knowledge with other people. MoonChild is my daughter. Get it? MotherMoon....MoonChild? My other daughter is LunarMist. See a theme going on here? No one in our family works at Mrs. Yoder's. We are not being paid by the McClungs. We just liked the food and the non-smoking. That is all there is to that. I try really hard to not post anything negative on here because I don't want that put into the cosmos. It sometimes seems like I can cause negativity just by being positive. Weird thing bbs's.

fugna
05-04-2002, 10:10 AM
Gave it a try, sorry folks won't be back. The food was less than ok...kids running around waiting on people with their heads somewhere else. Joe acting like he was running a five star...give me a brake. It's a dog with fleas.

Becky Davis
05-04-2002, 12:57 PM
Love ya Mother Moon and all of those young uns too!

MoonChild
05-04-2002, 02:52 PM
Just to clarify, my mother (MotherMoon) and I are not the same person, nor are we in cohoots with anyone. We rarely even agree on much. I made my opinion known about Mrs.Yoder's because I did very much enjoy the food and experience. I was raised by my mother, with our organic garden, home cooked Southern meals every day. So we obviously have the same taste in food. I enjoy fresh foods that are not greasy or overcooked. I am not a burger lover, and Italian does not always appeal to me. So, there hasn't been a place in town that I would frequent. My kids are also being raised with fresh veggies etc. and enjoy comfort foods like mac-n-cheese and meatloaf. I can take them out to Mrs.Yoder's and it feels like eating at grandma's when I was a kid. I go for food that really tastes like home cooked. Sorry if that offends anyone. Also, not to promote any bad feelings to the "anti-McClungs", but I think it was a brave decision to open a new resturant and promote tourism in these uncertain times. I applaud the boost for our communities economy.

Timm
05-05-2002, 09:46 PM
I'm not a Newbie and I loved it both times I've been there. Hey MothaMoon we have to do lunch there sometime soon.

tangler
05-05-2002, 10:40 PM
I was reading the comments tonight and not to be mean or anything but I am far from advertising for the McClungs! But I did like the food and I am happy to have another restaurant in town that had great service and food.
You know the other thing is is that I know several people posting on here work for other restaurants in town so its a no wonder that there are so many bad comments made. Just my opinion!

snowdiva
05-06-2002, 02:08 AM
I do not work for any restaurant in town and never have(worked at McBrides as dishwasher as a teen, now that is going back a long way. You guys probably never heard of it..LOL)but, God knows, I've eaten at most of them......LOL.

MoonChild
05-06-2002, 02:36 PM
Hey. I do work at another resturant in town, Sparky's- one of the best in town, I might add, but there is always room for more and I love variety. Bad comments like this is some competition? Not really my cup of tea.

JET
05-10-2002, 06:56 AM
Hey, Had lunch yesterday. Good food! Good service! Nice people!

PenDragon
05-15-2002, 01:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by karen pryor:

Joe made his rounds to all diners, introduced himself as the owner and sincerly asked for input.

Has anyone talked to Joe about the dissatisfaction expressed? I think he really wants to know. I think he wants the local business as much as visitor business. [B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know Joe sincerely wants this to be a place that locals will go and enjoy the food and service. He eagerly wants your input. One of his main objectives is to make the food consistantly good and without input, he will never know.

I too went opening week to give it a shot. The food was fabulous the first time as was the service. A few bugs, but not too shabby for a brand new restuarant in the first week of operation.

Since it was so good the first time we decided to give it another shot the next week. The food was no where near as good the second time, but we are stalwart fellows and decided to give it yet another shot the following week. The food was even worse. Joe was not there or I would have said something to him at that time.

Joe does need to know. This is his new baby and he does care and cares very much about whether we locals want to frequent his establishment. As much as I love Myrtie Mae's, I would love to have another consistant, pleasant place to have lunch and the occassional dinner. I think Joe can pull this off as long as he has some good constructive critizism from us locals.

------------------
Pen

leon bee
05-16-2002, 05:25 PM
Discount for locals?

Kaye Miller
05-18-2002, 07:14 AM
Why should there be a discount for locals??

I have never understood this local discount mind set.

Is there a "local" discount in Berryville?? Green Forest???

Do the business owners in Eureka get their utilities free?? Not have to pay employees? Workman's comp., unemployment taxes???

Guess the resturants in ES don't have to pay for the food they offer or the businesses for the product on the shelves.

With the amount of competetion in this city, I think most services and products are priced to save the purchaser and hopefully let the owner make a living.

If you want a "discount", watch for the sales and be the first one there.

just wondering
05-18-2002, 07:55 AM
Always looking for a "discount", thats why I shop many times in Mo. Also, no sales tax on food. Gas also is cheaper. Still remember one elected member of the city council telling me to get OUT OF TOWN or run for his office-so not only do I git out of town I shop out of state! By the way say good by to that PARK TAX in November! Remember that GUY who tried to close BENTON STREET twice? He may tried to run for Mayor. Let the political games began.

sweetness&light
05-18-2002, 08:25 AM
Was that Ed or Ernst? I'm thinking Ed, but what is this about the Park Tax?

Please 'splain, j dubyah.

leon bee
05-18-2002, 08:53 AM
Ms. Miller: Its the gesture, not the small savings that brings me back again. Recognition that most folks don't have to pay CAPC taxes in their own home towns. Sitting here, I can think of three restaurants who always give a discount, and all really are, "where the locals like to eat."

Becky Davis
05-18-2002, 10:21 AM
Do your prices remain the same year round? If so, good for you. I have noticed them rise during season. Especially gas and groceries. No local discounts there, though there should be.
Our paychecks don't go up because it is tourist season. Some are people are laid off in the winter. Any little break helps and it is a nice gesture for us to all help each other when we can. In a restaurant, I usually pass the savings on to my server anyway.
Do you believe in discounts for senior citizens and school projects? I'll bet there are few tourists that fail to ask for their senior discounts.

Becky Davis
05-18-2002, 10:25 AM
Sweetness, I believe that Parks and Recreation tax was only for a few years to build ballfields and much needed projects.
It will be up to the voters to decide if their money has been spent wisely and want to continue the tax.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this.

just wondering
05-18-2002, 10:32 AM
sweetness&light, your thinking is right, the PARK TAX now until November renewal is 1/4 cent on sales tax, but now the parks commission wants the voters to approve 1/2 cent. The library is also asking for a millage increase on real property. S&L did you watch Now last night about health insurance? Be sure to VOTE Tuesday! Wonder how many votes the guy with 13 kids and one in the oven will get against Mr. "Family Values"? It this not fun. Remember, Bush won the White House with one vote from the Supreme Court.

becsflowers
05-18-2002, 10:35 AM
13 kids and 1 in the oven. MY. Isn't that nice. Being in politics is the only way I can see THAT being an affordable situation.

sweetness&light
05-18-2002, 02:28 PM
I guess I am really behind the times. What channel is NOW on, because obviously I didn't see it. I voted early, then tried to vote again but a pig in a red velvet dress with pink satin high heels must ring a few bells.

That guy with all the kids dressed identical to their mom, somehow reminded me of the old amateur tv shows where a family tries to make it "big." I believe the last successful family to do that was the Partridges or was it the Bush family...not singing, just telling stories. oink oink!

just wondering
05-18-2002, 06:00 PM
S&L, NOW is on every Friday at 9:00P.M. AETN, channel 13, Local Cable, Bill Moyers:

outsider2002
05-18-2002, 08:42 PM
In response to leon bee:
Maybe not necessarily discount for locals, but frequent meals discount (which would kind of be like a discount for locals): i.e. you eat here 9 times, the 10th time is free, or you spend x amount of $, and you get a free meal worth y dollars...

snowdiva
05-18-2002, 11:22 PM
I think locals get a 10% discount because they shop at a business frequently and its a way to show appreciation and to encourage them to return. Tourist don't get it because they don't shop at the business frequently. I think the 10% discount is a damn nice thing to do, you don't have to do it, but, in my opinion, it shows "appreciation" and community helping each other.

Kaye Miller
05-19-2002, 06:49 AM
Frequent buyers in our shop get discounts/gift without having to ask for them. We know who they are. We only change our prices at the end of the year (not season) when they drop to 50% off. Our prices for the customer goes up only when our suppliers price goes up.

seemstome
05-19-2002, 03:29 PM
beware that the tip is added on to your
bill.....for everyone not just large parties.

billy the kid
07-25-2002, 04:47 AM
FOR SALE? Yes that's right Mrs. Yoders is up for sale already. www.jeffallen.lindsey.com (http://www.jeffallen.lindsey.com)
So much for good food and it's only $750,000.00

Barn Boss
07-25-2002, 06:30 AM
i know for a fact that it has always been for sale, before and after renovation. there is a lot a work involved in a business like that as many of you know. maybe joe and terry and randy are ready to get out.
i do wonder though if mcclung realty has a listing on the place?