PDA

View Full Version : Market Perception IV

Royal Alcott
07-01-2002, 11:33 AM
"Our image in most cases stinks if there's an image at all", Lindsey said, referring to (the) way people outside Arkansas perceive the state."

Uvalde Lindsey, lead consultant on an economic development study for the Northwest Arkansas Council, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, June 28, 2002.

And there are people here who want to tie that albatross tighter around the neck of Eureka Springs by rehiring CJRW the ad agency for the Arkansas Department of Parks & Tourism which has spent many millions of tax dollars avoiding the truth.

William Ames
07-02-2002, 10:21 PM
Royal
Uvaldi and Carol, work for Alice.

Royal Alcott
07-02-2002, 11:25 PM
Mr. Ames-

I worked on Northwest Arkansas economic development programs with Uvalde and Carol Lindsey, including XNA, since 1987.

Carol died several years ago.

Becky Davis
07-03-2002, 04:50 AM
There are hundreds of agencies in the state. Why CRJW?

Royal Alcott
07-03-2002, 07:32 AM
Becky-

Ask the Governor. Ask Jack Moyer. Leo Burnett once said if an agency's client entertainment budget is the standard for competition, we would lose.

OuterRing
07-03-2002, 12:13 PM
Royal,

If you have to ask why cjrw...you would never understand the answer...

But, keep up the good job...if nothing else you are entertaining...

OR

Royal Alcott
07-03-2002, 02:12 PM
Ringjob-

I didn't ask "why CJRW", Becky did.

I know why CJRW.

Do you?

seemstome
07-03-2002, 03:44 PM
royal

seems that all u do is sit at your computer
and moan....

get out and make a difference
and maybe we would take u seriously..

OuterRing
07-04-2002, 08:08 AM
Way to go seemstome....You nailed that one right on the head

OR

sweetness&light
07-05-2002, 07:35 AM
Well, guys, Royal does have the marketing knowledge of which he speaks, has shared some of it with us and to my way of thinking, I'm grateful for any viable experience to help us increase our town's economy....I'm grateful to anyone who helps us, especially with new ideas.

oldguy
07-05-2002, 12:54 PM
You sald it when you said Royal knew about the marketing. He is doing something...
WAKE UP he is telling you the problem and he is telling you who is making the moves and why. He is telling who for and how they are doing it. If you don't want to listen and just think he is crazy that is your right. I've been talking to people and found out you guessed it. We ARE just one big happy MUSHROOM farm. Why do you think MS. Frisbie was attacked over stupid fish? Why was her 86 yr mother over a bogas building permit when (Check it out) one of the buddies build a parking lot 60'away with no permit and nobody cares. How do you think some people can get caught violating there business permits in a big was and sweep under the carpet it goes. Royal knows what he is saying and if you people would do some checking you would listen. If you like being a mushroom keep on doing what your doing.

becsflowers
07-05-2002, 02:29 PM
YES...Sweetness & Oldguy are correct.
Now, would you like Ranch with those 'shrooms?

Becky Davis
07-05-2002, 10:05 PM
Okay Bec if I have mine in tea?

CyberPsychDoc
07-06-2002, 07:10 AM
Bec, I'd like mine sauteed, if you don't mind, that is.

Da*n! We need to wake up and smell the coffee or we'll ALL be one big mushroom on the side of the highway that used to be called Business 62. That's disgusting. We can be so much more, SO MUCH MORE.

Thank you Royal for keeping on keeping on. SOMEone has to keep kicking us in the behind if we're ever to get off ourselves and start working toward making this a viable tourist destination again.

CPD

BTW, Harikat, this time, I almost signed off as COD. LOL

Becky Davis
07-06-2002, 07:29 AM
Okay Outerring. Why CRJW?

OuterRing
07-06-2002, 09:24 AM
Becky,

If you always do what you have always done,
You will always get what you always have.

CJRW is the big dog in their game...if you want to win the fight...you had better have the biggest dog..

You have to think outside the box that is Eureka Springs...if you want to attract and promote tourism and that is the ONLY BUSINESS in Eureka Springs.

I know some people think there are other businesses...but they all depend on tourism.
Do you think for example that Eureka Springs for a town of it's size would have the size and professional police and fire departments if there were no tourism??

The answer would be no...you would have a total volunteer fire department and maybe...2 police officers...

Think about it...

OR

Becky Davis
07-06-2002, 09:37 AM
Blarney.

MotherMoon12
07-06-2002, 09:41 AM
And why did tourism suck big time when we had cjrw the last time? What about them has changed to make us believe they could possibly do a good job for us? They certainly were no help the last time around. Just took a LOT of our money for nothing.

sweetness&light
07-06-2002, 12:05 PM
Amen, Becky and MotherMoon. Guess some don't remember CJRW and their "results."

Royal Alcott
07-06-2002, 12:21 PM
Ringjob-

CJRW is a minor league club in a minor league town working for a minor league state.

Big dog?

Big laugh!

U.D.Cide
07-06-2002, 12:24 PM
I guess some dont remember, they took our money, hired work to be done by contractors, then didnt pay the contractors. Big dog? Taking a big bite from both ends. Enron was a big dog too.

Some of these folks that have come here in the last 10 years think they are reinventing the wheel. I think its time for the kiddies to do a little reasearch into this towns recent history before they repeat the same mistakes.

becsflowers
07-06-2002, 12:30 PM
YES.

oldguy
07-06-2002, 10:05 PM
Dod someone thay musrumes I'll hav min ins sum or browniez doutta help with tis purplee haze. Danit would sumone make tis screeen hold stillllllllllll.

Lucinda
07-07-2002, 07:08 AM
PS: Unfortunately, most of my advertising and filmmaking friends would not only ask, "who is CJRW" they still repeatedly ask "where is Arkansas again?" Sad, but true.

just wondering
07-07-2002, 08:42 AM
If Royal would run a bank and hire Polish women from the south side of Chicago thats where I would put my money!!! Of course, Sweetness&Light would work the front door. Things will always be UP & UP, and no back room accounting.

Bob White
07-07-2002, 02:28 PM
Put your faith in the capc. Big dogs say so. Woof. Better pay 70% in overhead to the staph instead of 15% agency commission. All our socalled local experts agree. Weren't experts before they got here, but they are now. If Royal is such a big dog, why does he only talk about how so and so wouldn't listen to him? VFW halls are full of old men who usedta. Ask their old colonels and you get a different story. Anybody can sit around and bitch. If there is some job that involves badmouthing CJRW and Crosses and Jack Moyer Royal is a real big dog. He can do that job real good. Only recent ad job that Royal's had he got fired. Clients found out it takes more than standing next to Leo Burnett in the elevator. Guess he was good enough to fool em once so he's an expert at that. I see ads that don't look good compared to other places. I hear the mayors sister is still at work and the ads still look bad enough to be true. How many more friends and family and former drug dealers of the staph are on the payroll that we're not supposed to know about? We got old hippie concerts that don't even sell enough tickets to pay the band. Got a con taking a few thou every month to sell Eureka but all we get out of her is two weeks worth of hooey about being on some tv game show. If Royal was a real bigdog he would notice that all this money goes out and none comes in. Executives with real experience notice so those guys are off getting big bucks for consulting instead of bitching to a bunch of people who must be real easy to impress. Whole town got together and said get rid of the staph. I was there. Heard it myself. Now they've hired the CJRW refugee and got rid of the last smart people who would deal with em. Nobody left but staph now. God help us. Must be a new job on the staph because nobody except a new mouth lookin to suck on the public teat would say have faith in the capc. No reason for the capc to be here. They don't do anything but steal money and ask for more money to steal. The whole sorry mess needs to go. I have faith that we'd be a lot better off without em.

Becky Davis
07-07-2002, 05:05 PM
Changing the subject just a little. Has anyone seen the promo for West Virginia? I think it is terrific.

Royal Alcott
07-07-2002, 05:58 PM
Mr. White-

You lie. What job was I fired from? None that I know of.

Be sure of your facts before you answer and name your source. So far it is only libel.

Bob White
07-07-2002, 06:44 PM
Royal you know. Libel means it isn't the truth. Becky don't change the subject. We don't need more happy horse*&@ here. Got plenty. Anybody asked pim why they really quit? Maybe we should.

sweetness&light
07-07-2002, 06:55 PM
jw,
Might I suggest instead of a toaster for every newly opened account, a one pound box of chocolates? Strictly for business, of course....mine!

Royal Alcott
07-07-2002, 07:39 PM
Mr. White-

If that is your real name and not something borowed from a bird, you are a LIAR and so is your SOURCE.

I have never been fired.

And I have never said anything about people not listening.

And I was a sergeant, 1st Cav, Korea, 1951.

And Leo rode the elevators with a lot of people in the Lobdon Guarantee Buikding at 360 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago where the Burnett offices were then because the agency grew from a few offices to several floors scatterd thoughout the building when I was hired in 1952.

The Burnett Hollywood offices where I was transferred were in the Taft Building at Hollywood and Vine but Leo was seldom there.

And you obviously know nothing about agency compensation from your ignorant statement about commissions vs overhead.

Ad agencies are agents for media, not for clients. An agency gets ALL the money appropriated by the client.

My current job is all volunteer for the Preservation Society and the CAPC staff is a source of media data.

Your problem is with the commission members who run the staff. There names are available.

just wondering
07-07-2002, 07:50 PM
Mr White a staph is a microbial infection. A person has a staff working for or with that person. Learn to spell, and get your facts straight and in order.

Ciao

[This message has been edited by just wondering (edited 07-07-2002).]

Mason
07-07-2002, 09:01 PM
Mr White,
Input is welcome. Positive, productive input does more than waste space tho. Royal has knowledge and experience. That means something. You may not agree, but, that is your option and opinion. Everything else is the horse ****.

Lucinda
07-08-2002, 07:08 AM
I’ve never lived in a small town – this is interesting. Your nasty comment...“Must be a new job on the staph because nobody except a new mouth lookin to suck on the public teat would say have faith in the capc”....tells me you know exactly who I am which shows me just how small this town, and/or this forum really is. Yes I applied for Barbara’s job and did not get it. I applied for the graphic designer job and I did not nail that one either, along with 40 some odd other people – perhaps you as well? So, Bob White has inside information, somehow? Interesting. I applied for the jobs NOT to suckle, Bob, I don’t really need a job per se. I was hoping to lend some expertise – work towards change from the inside out is a little easier than from the outside in. And I tend to thrive on challenge, and my god, the CAPC jobs are certainly challenging. It’s not as if winning one of those positions guarantees you an esteemed standing in this community, does it?

Bob, I suggested that you place your faith the CAPC because they’re all you’ve got. An ad agency is not and will never be a solution that can solve Eureka’s marketing problems better than Eureka should be able to do so internally. Eureka just doesn’t have the bucks for that level of “consultancy”. The CAPC is a concept and structure that should work for this town. If it has failed in the past, and you fear for its future, then the screamers and moaners in this town should march their tushs and mouths down to every single CAPC meeting and become involved. (I’m sure they’ll appreciate the input ;) Loudermilk has yet to be replaced as commissioner and chairman and three or four seats are up for replacement at the end of the year. These people work for YOU as taxpayers. Get involved or just mouth. Personally, I refuse to judge Barbara Dozier, or anyone for that matter, until she has an opportunity to prove herself in this position – give the woman a break. Then, if the CAPC is still not performing, demand a change, but be certain that it’s not performing, and why it’s not performing, and just exactly WHAT has to change to make it effective. This town seems to be very long on suspicion and innuendo and often short on facts.

I moved to Eureka for personal reasons and then, reluctantly, decided to build a business here. If I’d first scouted Eureka only for a business, I NEVER would have made the decision to relocate here. I’ve lived here full time for a year and only began to pay attention for the last 4 or 5 months. You have some good commissioners, who are rendered almost ineffective by some truly awful ones. This place is a political, economic and socio-economic mess. It will take years and amazing leadership to sort this all out. I can see the years unfolding ahead of this town…..but where are your leaders? And, when they surface, will this cacophony of personal agendas and public disarray render every willing soul useless? I dunno guys…..pretty dismal if you ask me. Lots of people fighting against one another here, it reads like a bad novel. If all the oars are in the water but rowing in different directions, where’s the boat gonna go? Nowhere.

So you’re right Bob, another mouth in town. A really big mouth with a s**tload of opinions. I’m spending my own dollar to bring guests into town from Texas, Louisiana, Kansas, Oklahoma and even from Sydney Australia. They’re spending money in your restaurants, gift shops, gas stations, liquor stores and attractions. So I guess, in a way, I’m paying for the privilege to piss and moan about the state of the union in Eureka Springs. But I’ll also stay as involved as humanly possible, and offer my hand, help, assistance, expertise and my big mouth, wherever it is requested, required or not.

(And Royal, whilst you have reason to be insulted by Bob White's comments, don't let this guy jerk your chain. As I'm writing this, it's dawning on me who he is. If I'm right, we'll have a laugh, so don't be too fussed. No one is buying the bs anyway.)

Royal Alcott
07-08-2002, 10:35 AM
Lucinda-

A few years ago Jack Moyer publically claimed that I had worked for him. He knew that was not true.

Maybe that lie is back again. Wouldn't surprise me.

Jack and Yuuma have much in common.

Market perception of Arkansas got defined again in Sunday's Democrat-Gazette Section B story "Pocket of Paradise".

Interviews conducted for an economic development study done for the Northwest
Arkansas Council showed, "Before moving here, most new residents had litle or no knowledge of Northwest Arkansas".

"They often associated the state's negative image with the northwest region. The most common perception of Northwest Arkansas was a backward area populated by hillbillies."

The state's negative image has been in the public mind for more than 100 years. The responsibility for changing a state's public image in media is the responsibility of the state's advertising.

Many, many millions of dollars and years and years later the image remains the same thanks to CJRW.

PMilam
07-08-2002, 10:40 AM
Ok, you've got me riled up now! My daughter works for the CAPC. Her name is Robin Milam, she works in the Aud. She works her butt off! She puts in more hours than you can shake a stick at.. and gets paid for 40 hours. She works weekends and nights. She misses meals, she misses her daughter and husband. She is a born organizer. She was hired because of her experience, not because she is related to any one, or is
anyone's "buddy". She was the ticket manager at the Walton Arts Center. She does a tremendous job promoting this town! Go take a look at the notes she has received from people around the country, thanking her for her sweet care and help. You should ask around.. ask someone who has promoted a show or play in the Aud. Who helped them out, showed them the ropes, unlocked doors, made sure things were in order. Who got the new ticket system installed... who works it? She does.

Now, if you want to lump everyone in the CAPC as teat suckers, say it to my face,
sucker!

Kaye Miller
07-08-2002, 12:53 PM
We gave up on trying to help row the boat. We're gonna fly with PIM!!!

sweetness&light
07-08-2002, 02:30 PM
Yes, it's true, Lucinda. What you've suggested we've all suggested and done for years. We've complained, made hundreds of suggestions to help market our town and bring visitors. We've gone to meetings, etc., to the point that you have entered into today. It's true a lot of folks no longer join in because it's the old "been there, done that," many times over and things generally have not improved, hence, a major case of apathy. We've all come here with enthusiasm and wanting to bring Eureka back to her former glory, but reality has finely worn us down. One problem we've noticed is there is no source of accountability here. No wonder few candidates run for office; it's a thankless job. There are so very many fences to be mended and trust to be regained. You're right; it will take a long time.

A lot of us have begged whoever is doing the promoting to advertise outside of the same 5 states it has been customary for decades. Deaf ears. Finally, PIMs has done more than listen and more than just promoting Eureka coast to coast; they're going global thru Fly Eureka. They have my support and the support of lots of other businesses in town by advertising their business to get the word out on Eureka and strut our stuff. And by the way, most all of us have spent and are continuing to spend our own money bringing visitors here or wither on the vine.

Good luck in your new business.

[This message has been edited by sweetness&light (edited 07-08-2002).]

Lucinda
07-08-2002, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the kind words and good wishes S&L. I have been doing my homework, a lot of talking, listening, reading and networking of sorts and know some of what led Eureka (and many of you) to where you are today. I understand why you are fed up and exhausted with it all. The accountability issues must be beyond maddening - near homicidal. I'm sure it will take years for me to "catch up". But, I'm also an die hard optimist and it might also take years to beat that trait out of me. Look at me as new blood to spill :)

One group I've studied, intensely, is PIM - I'm also a huge fan and am waiting on the first "draft" of my own webpage and site. I'll be flying AirEureka as well. Big thinkers produce big results, they're terrific.

Kaye Miller
07-08-2002, 04:56 PM
Lucinda, keep in mind that according to ES mayor, PIM is underqualified. (He stated this in a televised meeting.) Are you sure you want them to do your advertising??? LOL

Course, we love our site and have already had response to it. So, way to go PIM.

Welcome to Eureka, Lucinda. What is your new business??

PMilam
07-08-2002, 07:37 PM
I forgot to mention something. She loves her job, but more than that, she loves her hometown.

jf501
07-09-2002, 05:01 AM
Amen Sweetness, been there, and I'm done!

Pat, Robin does do a great job. When volunteering for the blues fest I had a couple of situations and she jumped right in and took control.

Lucinda, good luck on your new quest I hope you can help! I will be watching from the sidelines.

[This message has been edited by jf501 (edited 07-09-2002).]

Becky Davis
07-09-2002, 08:28 AM
I have received several emails from friends across the country that read this board.
All like FlyEureka and have commented on their own how terrific they think it is.
I like that West Virgina promo because I think it is great advertising. It caught my attention because John Denver was singing West Virginia. Except for them telling me it was W VA, I would have sworn it was AR. I am sure the folks in W VA don't see it. It makes me wonder if we have a great little tape out there promoting AR Tourism, only we never see it because it is broadcast in other markets?
Would anybody know if a song has ever been written about Eureka Springs? Surely with all of the musicians in town?
Perhaps we could have a contest for a great song?

Royal Alcott
07-09-2002, 09:08 AM
Becky-

Arkansas boy Glen Campbell and Gentle On My Mind with a new lyric ending "Akansas, ever smilin' ever gentle on my mind."

Lany Ballance
07-09-2002, 10:11 AM
Ms. Becky, I'm not sure if it's quite what you had in mind, but my song "Eureka Tyme" is on my first album which is in circulation in the thousands. That may not seem like a big deal on a global scale, but I've personally sold this product to folks from every continent except Antarctica. That song was also used for radio promo and has won awards in Little Rock, Hot Springs and Memphis.

I also wrote and perform a little ditty called "The Eureka Springs Parking Spot Blues" with which visitors and locals alike seem to identify and which almost always elicits mirth.

I'm reasonably sure other local songwriters have penned odes to Eureka Springs, and many more will be written in time to come. There's an incredible amount of talent in many and varied forms in this lovely little municipality. I feel very proud of Eureka Springs' artist community. They are some of the most inspirational and visionary artists anywhere. I stand humbled and awed by their genius.

Becky Davis
07-09-2002, 10:33 AM
Of course Lany. Sorry, I forgot about living on Eureka Tyme.
You are right of course about the talent in Eureka. You will never get any argument from me there. I just wish the rest of the world knew about them.
Yep Royal, that is in the right direction. But we also have a few musicians that are very popular now who are from Arkansas.
But Glen Campbell has that voice that has reached all generations and is recognized almost immediately by everyone.

Royal Alcott
07-09-2002, 12:07 PM
Becky-

Joe Nobody singing Country Roads wouldn't do it for West Virginia. And Ashville has a big house with a spectacular yard.

Describing Eureka Springs on radio is like describing baton twirling.

This town is a visual experience.

All visitors carry home unforgetable photographs taken by the cameras in their minds.

Build on that instead of ignoring it.

Becky Davis
07-09-2002, 12:34 PM
I was talking about a video with audio in the background, Royal.

Royal Alcott
07-09-2002, 01:37 PM
Becky-

The media budget is too small. Just about everything is small print promoting events.

Marketing strategy should focus on the first time visitor who knows nothing, the 99% of leisure time decision makers.

Media tactics should tell a visual story of the town as it is today and the wealthy summer playground it was 120 years ago.

Events should be advertised and promoted by the producers for whatever profit can be made.

Producers would rent the auditorium for their events.

I can imagine a group of big hotel and motel operators teaming with food and beverage service businesses who benefit most from event traffic to attract producers and big acts.

Audience ticket sales make the act big or small.

Becky Davis
07-09-2002, 01:45 PM
At McArthur Park there is a free museum to go through. One of the most enjoyable things is an interesting historical film. It is a good place to get in from the heat, take a comfortable seat, plus learn something. It repeats all day long.
Could something like this not be done at the auditorium?

Lany Ballance
07-09-2002, 01:52 PM
Mr. Alcott,

I apologize for having the audacity to infer that anyone would come to this town for anything other than the visual experience. I momentarily neglected to keep in mind that you are the marketing genius and have all the answers and that is the reason our local economy is so strong.

Please accept my humble apology whilst I stand back and admire your monumental visual building project and all the riches it is bringing to E.S., its businesses and its banks.

With all due respect,

Josephine N.

Royal Alcott
07-09-2002, 02:14 PM
Ms Ballance-

The visual story will attract first time visitors who never heard of Eureka Springs and know nothing about it.

That is the critical marketing problem.

There as been a lot noise recently about web sites.

Tell me, in your pitifully sarcastic way, how can you type Eureka Springs on a search engine if you do not know the name of the town?

How can you make a leisure time decision to come here if you never heard of the town?

Most of the advertising media money spent by visitor businesses here informs people where to spend money if they ever get here.

That tells 99% of the leisure time market strangers nothing.

What does that do for filling your pockets?

Lany Ballance
07-09-2002, 02:45 PM
Mr. Alcott,

99% of what is filling my pockets comes from sources outside Eureka Springs. But I do spend a large percentage of it right here in our fair city. I first arrived here by word-of-mouth recommendation. I have nothing else to tell you in my pitifully sarcastic way.

On the level, I have much respect for your knowledge. I am not always able to decipher your encrypted messages, but I trust that those for whom they are designed understand and will benefit from the knowledge you attempt to impart.

I'll blame my pitifully sarcastic way today on PMS. Today that abbreviation has more than one expansion. I'm sorry I vented on you, Mr. Alcott. But I really believe this town is so much more than just what meets the eye.

Lucinda
07-09-2002, 03:15 PM
Lany -
Royal's postings sometimes seem cryptic becuase he uses a keyboard version of "sound bites" - his own form of keyboard shorthand :) Sometimes I think his time saving maneuver makes this man sound curt when thats not his intention and insensitive when he has no intention of being so. However, when he's riled, watch out, huh ;)

kukukachu
07-09-2002, 03:25 PM
Lucinda, I beg to differ. "Does not mean to be". Give me a break. Royal is rude, discourteous, mean and hateful. And I think he fully intends to be. I would not care if he were the top advertising expert in the world, I would not want to work with him. You might want to read back over a few months to see his replies to various people in the community. Any one that does not agree with him feels the sting of his whip. He is even rude to those that do agree with him.

Lucinda
07-09-2002, 03:30 PM
Kaye,
Our business is Buck Mountain Lodge, off 108, off 23 south just off, of all places, Buck Mountain...that's how I came up with the clever name. It's a small start, but it's cute. I'll post the PIM site once it's up. Yes, I'm one of those "lake people" who don't pay taxes, can't vote but has a mouth and opinions on just about everything ;) After living on top of people in LA and NY for 26 years just couldn't have anyone but deer and fish as neighbors anymore. I also have an antique biz in town at the Gingerbread House, mainly to pay for my antique habit, but I've got a fair amount invested in the inventory, and turn over okay, so I guess I do pay some tax after all...still can't vote, darn. However, what they do in town will either make me or break me, so the mouth will keep on truckin.

Thanks for asking.

Lucinda
07-09-2002, 04:15 PM
Kukukachu-I'm going to attempt to be as tactful as possible here. The last or first impression I want to leave on this board is one of a newcomer-know-it-all. And I don't want to alientate anyone. I just know my own mind and will occassionally speak it. I don't have any iron clad solutions for Eureka and I'm certainly not an expert on any of the hard issues or the people here. I have been reading this BB for several months - it's been part of my "education". And my entertainment "-)

Royal is a specific personality type with a specific intellect I happen to appreciate and enjoy. That won't change. I also tend to give him more latitude than I will afford most people with such sharp wit, quick tongue or perhaps an opinion I might strongly disagree with. I feel he's earned that space by occupying this space for as many years as he's managed to keep spitting nails. I respect his committment, his fight and his brain. I've spent much of my working career with men and women such as Royal. I understand them, I get them and I am not at all bothered by how they function or deal with me or with others. It's their nature - it's his second nature. I follow the old adage when dealing with any person .."if you can't take the heat...get outta the kitchen". I had to learn that when working with most people in my business. Learn to deal with them. Royal is simply a debater and a man attempting to get his point across, and often frustration and anger get in his way. In reading much of what is written here, with the exception of some of Royals favorite targets, Royal responds with a sharp pen after being attacked, after being misinterperted. That is my opinion. My experience with Royal has been 99% in person. He has been a gentleman, considerate,a lively conversationalist and all-in-all a pleasure to call an aquaintance.
When and if I catch Royal being nasty, rude or otherwise, then I'll just shake my head. But I'll still find him to be one of Eureka's treasures.

Royal Alcott
07-09-2002, 05:57 PM
Ms Ballance-

There is a lot more to pretty girls and sports cars than what meets the eye but the appearance is the first thing noticed from afar.

From Ambrose Bierce's "Devil's Dictionary":

Bait: That which makes the hook more palatable.

The best kind is beauty.

Seeing is believing. The rest follows.

sweetness&light
07-09-2002, 06:51 PM
All right, all right! Enough begging, already. I'm willing to be your sacrificial pig on the bar-bee of promotion.

Royal is so correct; first attention glance to so-called pretty girls is macabre curiosity, but the long term stare, drooling and must-have-more-of-this-vision is achieved only through careful product presentation and knowing how to toss a head full of curls without the head being turned. Having a natural porcine beauty at the wheel of a 1903 Hupmobile is just frosting on the cake (well, what else but chocolate? Gads, keep up with me!).

Men are more interested in vintage autos and the bonvivant beauty who drives just like she lives: fast and on three wheels. If seeing is believing, I can guarantee they'll be believers after seeing me.

After hooking the prospective visitor, I can "set the hook" of Royal's quote "seeing is believing," by demonstrating my flying ability around the lake, lest anyone forget the disbelieving remark of "when pigs fly." Well, this pig flies under her own power and will be a passenger on Fly Eureka.

So, here you've got the hook, the beauty and seeing is believing. What are we waiting for? And when's dinner?

Royal Alcott
07-09-2002, 09:30 PM
The time has come the Walrus said
To talk of many things
Of shoes and ships and sealing wax
And cabbages and Kings
And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.....

Charles Dodgson

sweetness&light
07-09-2002, 10:02 PM
And the Jabberwocky?