PDA

View Full Version : No more Eureka Springs CAPC?

Royal Alcott
06-06-2002, 01:11 PM
Soon the Eureka Springs City Advertising and Promotion Commission will be voted out of existence.

All current CAPC funds in the Bank of Eureka Springs will be transferred immediately to a new account.

A Carroll County Advertising and Promotion Commission, chaired by Jack Moyer, will take its place with commissioners appointed by the County Quorum Court representing tourist businesses.

A county tax will be voted in to fund the new commission.

The current CAPC funds and the taxes generated by the new county tax will be given to Jack Moyer to spend with CJRW.

Did I do that right, Ms Miller?

just wondering
06-06-2002, 02:46 PM
Just what KIND of county TAX? Does this mean wide open gambling for Carroll County?

just wondering
06-06-2002, 02:48 PM
Just think every fish pond in Eureka Springs can have a riverboat!

Kaye Miller
06-06-2002, 06:03 PM
Would that then make Jack the pivatol person in Eureka Springs or would it be all of Carroll County???

Royal Alcott
06-06-2002, 06:28 PM
Ms Miller-

You tell us. You posted that there arepeople working on the demise of the CAPC.

But Jack doesn't own a bank.

kernicerus
06-07-2002, 02:07 AM
Just curious and not looking to start any fights,but i hope i didn't hear COUNTY taxes.I don't live within city limits so am allowed no say in city matters even though they do affect me.I hope i'm wrong in what i think is going on.So please someone set me straight on the situation.

[This message has been edited by kernicerus (edited 06-07-2002).]

Royal Alcott
06-07-2002, 06:31 AM
County taxes and county (outside of city limits)commision representatives have been discussed if memory serves.

Ask DeVito.

James DeVito
06-08-2002, 10:16 AM
The tax in question is the same as the Passion Play collects. They operate outside the city limits yet collect a CAPC tax.

Royal Alcott
06-08-2002, 12:00 PM
On restaurant and gift shop receipts but not admissions?

Do the gardens at Blue Spring collect CAPC taxes?

Royal Alcott
06-08-2002, 12:03 PM
Do the motels and restaurants near Berryville and the Kings and White River resorts collect the CAPC tax?

just wondering
06-08-2002, 03:35 PM
Was at the Fayetteville Farmers Market today, all kinds of food and things to buy. And no sales tax or CAPC tax. WOW!

snowdiva
06-10-2002, 02:00 AM
Just wondering....where is the Fayetteville Farmers Market located please?

Royal Alcott
06-10-2002, 05:05 AM
Snowdiva-

On the square around the old Post Office.

Bubba
06-11-2002, 08:00 PM
The businesses outside the city limits benefit from the advertising that the CAPC taxes provide, so why shouldn't those businesses be willing to do what the other businesses are already doing?

And if businesses outside the city limits collect the tourism tax, why shouldn't they have a voting seat on the commission?

Royal Alcott
06-11-2002, 08:17 PM
Bubba-

Change the state and county law and the city ordinance.

Bubba
06-11-2002, 09:46 PM
FUBAR,

Of course the laws would have to be changed. That's obvious.

Unome
06-15-2002, 05:49 AM
The capc doesn't need any more money. They can't handle what they already have.

sweetness&light
06-15-2002, 06:16 AM
handle/mishandle?

Becky Davis
06-15-2002, 08:20 AM
Can anyone come up with a serious list of pros and cons that the CAPC has done? Surely there are some good things we can list?
Royal, this should be under your expertise.

Becky Davis
06-15-2002, 08:23 AM
And honestly, just what would one have to do to get the ball rolling to have a City Administrator and figurehead Mayor? Petition? Vote? Anyone really know?

[This message has been edited by Becky Davis (edited 06-15-2002).]

Royal Alcott
06-15-2002, 09:41 AM
Becky-

A change the form in city government from a Mayor/City Council to a City Manager begins with a petition to put the issue on a ballot.

The County Clerk can give you the details.

Royal Alcott
06-15-2002, 09:43 AM
Bubba Snafu-

Go to it! Are you waiting for someone to change the law for for you?

Royal Alcott
06-15-2002, 10:03 AM
Becky-

30 years of CAPC's have refused to be responsible for the economic results of the money spent.

Comparisons of CAPC tax collections with same months in the previous year is self serving nonsense.

Market share is the test. Eureka Springs has had a declining share of an expanding market for leisure time dollars for most of the 20th century.

For the same 30 years, each year the dollar has decreased in value as costs rose buying less and paying more for it.

The CAPC was structured by law to favor hospitality and food and beverage businesses. The emphasis on entertainment events reflects this bias on cheap weekend planning and funding.

The long view of defining the town's unique position in lesiure time market economic competition and attracting more affluent first time visitors is heretical.

All Arkansas CAPC's have this problem.

Becky Davis
06-15-2002, 10:21 AM
Then Royal, why have it? Wouldn't prices go down then for everybody? Locals included? But to continue...Keep the tax, but no CAPC board. Fire them all.
A million dollars a year collected would be enough to give every man, woman and child in Eureka a hefty sum of money. Then the economy would come up for sure. (just kidding of course) But even so, wouldn't that be doing more for the locals than anything else they have come up with?
Let's just day dream awhile.
Everyone would be able to afford a house. Pretty yards, paint for their houses, groceries, start new businesses, spend money in town. Everyone would be smiling and in a better mood. Well, not necessarily single folks, but familys would.
Some businesses would probably close though. Why break your back making beds for six bucks and hour, when you are getting more money off the tax than an employer would pay. Hotel and restaurant owners would pay more and be much nicer to their help, if they could get any.
The banks would have to get a whole new attitude, wouldn't they? It would be in the form of an annual payoff. Until then the moneys sits in the bank drawing interest, which would be used for local projects, only. Like a great Arts Center. Then divy that loot up.
Heck, a large family might even be able to purchase Blue Springs.
They could really spruce the place up into a national show place.
People would be clammoring to move to Eureka Springs. I bet it would make national headlines even.
Totally free advertising.

U.D.Cide
06-15-2002, 12:37 PM
Becky

You might aught to do the math first. All that for $500.00 per resident per year?

Becky Davis
06-15-2002, 02:14 PM
Hmmm...I was figuring 3300 people (in my head) divided into a million.
I came out with 3000 per person. Not a lot of difference for a single person. But a family of four, 12,000.
Drat it! Where is that darned calculator?!!

Becky Davis
06-15-2002, 02:15 PM
What's the population now?

Royal Alcott
06-15-2002, 02:15 PM
Becky-

The City Council can't fire CAPC commissioners. Remember?

You can't collect a CAPC tax if there isn't any CAPC.

As long as businesses providing necessities to people away from home rule the roost there never will be a future for families with young children here.

As long as low wages rule the local economy there will always be high turnover as teens grow up and housekeepers grow old.

Advertising, promotion, city government and financial institutions should have been dedicated to solving these problems many years ago.

But the people who collect the CAPC tax for them can't think past next Monday's bank deposits.

Becky Davis
06-15-2002, 02:19 PM
one potato, two potato, three potato, four.

Let's just keep it in name only. Of course with me in charge of the money. http://www.geekfest.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Royal Alcott
06-15-2002, 03:00 PM
Becky-

Wouldn't you would have to arm wrestle John Cross for that?

sweetness&light
06-15-2002, 04:11 PM
There's a little over 2300 of us taters...fried, baked and covered in ketchup.

U.D.Cide
06-15-2002, 06:19 PM
Im sorry I was figuring 2000 population. Since you figured 3300 that is altogether different. We would need $9,900,000 per year to come up with your figure. In reality with 3300 people divided into one million, it would come out to $330 per person, or $1,330 for a family of 4.

Becky Davis
06-15-2002, 08:49 PM
Well darn. That means we are gonna have to throw some folks out of town and raise those dad burn taxes!
How about just people over 21..does that add up to a better figure. Forget those little young buggers.

Royal Alcott
06-15-2002, 09:21 PM
Becky-

The town has forgotten about little people for many, many years.

They can't vote and they are too young to bus tables.

Arkansas exports raw materials, working capital and children.

Heretic
06-22-2002, 02:33 PM
Becky,
Back in 1967, Eureka Springs changed from a city manager/figurehead mayor set up to the mayor/council form. Just different recipes for the same stew in my opinion. What is needed is a more diverse economy. But what? Perhaps a driving school could be located here. Whoever escapes without a fender bender graduates. Parking could be offered separately as an advanced degree.

sweetness&light
06-22-2002, 03:29 PM
I like your ideas.

Bubba
06-22-2002, 07:10 PM
"Market Share" is NOT the only consideration, or even the Prime one.

For example, lodging can gain a lot of Market Share by simply lowering their rates to rent their rooms - but not be profitable doing so.

You can rent a lot of rooms for a buck a night, and gain a lot of "market share" doing it, but you can't make a profit just by increasing market share.

The car companies (one of Royal's pet examples) often go for market share, such as Honda Accord vs Ford Taurus, but that's the academic stuff non-successful managers get bogged down in.

What difference does it make? Are you supposed to go to the bank and deposit "market share?"

I'd rather own a company with 2% market share and 20% return on investment than own a company with 20% market share and make only 2% return on investment ( or even post a loss in order to relish in "market share").

Market share is junk if not used in context of the total picture, instead of being recognized as only one piece of a puzzel while not seeing the total picture instead.

"Good ole xyz company, sold a lot of widgets, had great market share, right up till the day they went out of businesss . . . "