PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Tips

becsflowers
11-25-2003, 12:05 PM
This thread is for sharing Holiday Tips.Your own or ones you read about.

If the holidays irk you, don't go here. Anything other than "Holiday Tips" should be on another thread.

There will be more "Holiday?" threads in the coming days(hours?). Watch for them!

becsflowers
11-25-2003, 12:17 PM
www.organizedchristmas.com (http://www.organizedchristmas.com)
has wonderful tips and unusual recipes for the holiday season.
another related link is
www.holidayorganizer.com (http://www.holidayorganizer.com)

arjay
11-25-2003, 12:48 PM
scavenger hunt/turkey carcass cavity search. is an explaination necessary?

My favorite holiday memory was showing up at the inlaws and producing a rolled up baggie of coarse ground sage and asking if they wanted some "special" seasoning on their bird.

I sure do miss those folks.

becsflowers
11-25-2003, 01:42 PM
Arjay...I can somehow see that happening...LOL!

Anyway, here's a gift wrap tip I've discovered:

When buying gift wrap after the season, storing it in a smaller space can be done if you slide one smaller roll of paper into the tube of another larger roll. Depending on the number of small vs. large rolls you have, it is possible to cut the amount of space needed for storage in half or better, if you have even more rolls that will "telescope" into each other!

[This message has been edited by becsflowers (edited 11-25-2003).]

becsflowers
12-01-2003, 11:41 PM
While shopping the sales this week, I discovered little plastic transparent colored covers for the miniature white lights. Did not buy any, but regretted it later, as I forgot that I have been looking for colored lights with white cords for a while now. Only before have I been able to find purple lights with white cords at the K-State Student Union in Manhattan for 15 bucks a strand (35 lights). Years ago when I was in the floral business, some of my suppliers sold Italian Lights that were any color you could ask for with white cords, but nobody seems to carry them now. they were expensive then, but I still have a miniature tree with the red lights on them that I've had for over 15 years, and not 1 bulb has ever burned out. And the red color is a brighter prettier red than the standard chinese lights.
Wonder if the new glass paints (transparent, like for glassware, NOT the Gallery Glass for crafting) would work if I dipped the plain clear lights? I think some of that paint is permanent when dry, and washable, so guess I'll just have to experiment, huh? Or has anyone already done this?

Kaye Miller
12-02-2003, 08:53 AM
We have about three strands of white cord/clear light left. We also have some light covers, but the colors are limited at this point. These are not Wal-mart cord strands. The lights we use burn every day for 1 year.

About 4 years or so ago the Underwriters Lab. changed the specs for the copper wire used in Christmas lights for safety reasons. This change has effected the way some lights burn. Most noticeably, for us, were the old- time bubble lights. They do not get as warm and therefore often need to be "jump started" by shaking the bulb. (DO NOT TAP THE BULB- it can break) The companies have printed this on each box.

Also, on regular lights the cords are much thicker making it more difficult to wrap the trees. We feel the safety factor makes it worthwhile.

Another little reminder re. lights. If you plug a 50 light strand into a l00 light strand, or a 35 light strand into a 50 or l00 light strand you will lose them - different voltage. If you are using end-to-end lights always plug a 35 to 35, 50 to 50 or 100 to 100.

Replacement bulbs run different also. Usually a 1.5 volt for 35 lights and a 2.5 v. for 50 or 100 lights. Always read the package.

Happy Hollidays and remember to shop at home when you can!!

becsflowers
12-02-2003, 09:34 AM
Thank you SOOOO much for the light tips! I never knew that lites would blow if they weren't 35/35, 50/50 , etc. THAT is the best tip yet!

Kaye Miller
12-02-2003, 10:00 AM
Think of it as my "thank you" for starting the "favorite holiday stories"! http://www.geekfest.com/ubb/smile.gif By now at least half of the Okla. panhandle and part of SW Kansas (at least Plains and Liberal) will have something they have been waiting 50 years for!

(Besides, not knowing about the lights is probably a "chick" thing. Most fellas probably knew this information but are reluctant to share http://www.geekfest.com/ubb/wink.gif)