PDA

View Full Version : Market perception III

Royal Alcott
06-12-2002, 12:26 PM
UPS has recently classified Eureka Springs as a remote area and charges an extra fee to deliver packages sent here.

sweetness&light
06-12-2002, 12:36 PM
Well that's just great. UPS is how I receive 90% of my clothes, all my shoes (we don't have a shoe store in town and I don't see that many going barefoot), cosmetic brands that aren't carried around here in stores, I suppose it would be redundant to mention imported chocolate and other things I can't find here. From all the UPS trucks in town, it looks like most of the shops get their merchandise the same way.

Hmm. Guess I answered my own rant. We are remote...in fact, hand me the remote and let's see what's on infomercials.

kukukachu
06-12-2002, 02:06 PM
And where can we find this announcement?

Royal Alcott
06-12-2002, 02:31 PM
Kuku-

Call UPS Corporate. I was told about this by a friend in Houston who just sent me a package by UPS.

You might find the UPS corporate address and phone number on the web or call your broker and ask for a 10K.

kukukachu
06-12-2002, 02:57 PM
I was told by a friend, therefore, I will make a bold statement concerning UPS shipping. What the?!?!
I went to the UPS web site, did a "Quick Cost Calculation".
Houston to Fayeteville
One time/UPS Pak/5#/12X12X12/$100 value. 2nd day Air $15.52

Houston to Eureka Springs

Houston to Little Rock

I didn't bother to call my broker and ask for a 10K.

Your point?
Your answer?

Of course you won't have one, you will just have some convoluted retort, or another question for me.

Don't worry sweets, til you hear some official report, or hear it from someone that UPS's frequently.

[This message has been edited by kukukachu (edited 06-12-2002).]

Sleepy
06-13-2002, 05:33 PM
Seems to me we cant be too remote. They send at least 4 trucks here every weekday.

just wondering
06-15-2002, 06:30 PM
Eureka Springs, Fayetteville, Little rock the same charge. My,MY everyone assumes Arkansas is all remote. Must be the answer for the lack of tourists. We're too remote!

[This message has been edited by just wondering (edited 06-15-2002).]

Royal Alcott
06-15-2002, 06:51 PM
kuku-

The package I received was shipped from Mailboxes of Braeswood, 5300 North Braeswood, Houston, Texas 77096 713 729 1117.

The person who sent it told me just what she was told at Mailboxes of Braeswood when she paid the charges.

Go to the source or hell, which ever comes first.

sweetness&light
06-15-2002, 07:57 PM
oops! meant to clear fields, not submit

[This message has been edited by sweetness&light (edited 06-15-2002).]

kukukachu
06-15-2002, 09:10 PM
No, Royal, you were making a "statement". You didn't say "The person who sent it told me just what she was told at Mailboxes of Braeswood when she paid the charges."
Under the heading Market Perception III, you decreed "UPS has recently classified Eureka Springs as a remote area and charges an extra fee to deliver packages sent here."
Another hot air balloon.

sweetness&light
06-15-2002, 09:13 PM
kuku,
Would that be rising to the occasion? snort!
Or lack of Beano?

It's getting late. I need to go watch something depressing like the news or a beauty contest.

kukukachu
06-15-2002, 09:16 PM
Lack of beano, for sure!

Royal Alcott
06-15-2002, 09:17 PM
kuku-

If you go to the corporation you will find information about a fuel surcharge. It refers to remote delivery charges.

If you call Michael Eskew, Chairman, United Parcel Services, he might explain the corporation's policy on remote delivery surcharges or find someone who speaks slowly and uses small words to do it.

kukukachu
06-16-2002, 06:59 AM
No more information is required, by me, to check out the UPS charges. If they charge Little Rock the same that they charge us. I guess the whole state of AR is remote, and there is nothing more to be said on the subject.
Were those words small enough for you to understand?
Market Perception III ~ your point?

Royal Alcott
06-16-2002, 08:22 AM
Remote: adj. Removed, far off, far apart, distant, out of the way, alien.

The public and corporate perception of Arkansas is the albatross around the neck of Eureka Springs.

None of these definitions bode well for impressing tourist, investment capital or industry location decision makers.

Thank you for illustrating my point several times over, kuku.

just wondering
06-16-2002, 06:49 PM
Dear KUKu KA KA. According to the rate chart published by UPS in January 2002, the zip code 72632 is charged a fee of 1.50 for residental address delivery. Does that qualify as a rural delivery charge? A rose by any other name is still a rose!

kukukachu
06-17-2002, 11:20 AM
Ok, Arkansas is remote, even Little Rock.
A fee of $1.10 is charged for residential delivery from Houston to Little Rock.
I guess we are all "remote" according to UPS.
What are TX, OK, TN, MO, KS, LA?
What would not be remote? Dallas, of course a land of it's own, NYC and LA?

PMilam
06-17-2002, 11:33 AM
I am surprised to not have a rural delivery charge, since I am 30 minutes out of town, but, I've never see the charge differ from when I received pkgs in town. Of course, my address is Berryville now... is that considered rural?
http://www.geekfest.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

JET
06-17-2002, 11:35 AM
We have some of the best UPS people in the world. No matter the price!!! It's a bargin.

C-mo
06-17-2002, 02:38 PM
Many people enjoy the "remoteness" of Eureka Springs, and Arkansas.

The fact is we are remote. That is part of the attraction, to "get away from it all", "escape the rat race" for a while.

What Royal perceives as an "albatross around the neck of Eureka Springs", is actually an asset.

Ask folks in places like Colorado, West Virginia, and Tennessee. "Remote" draws tourists.

Eureka should accept the obvious, and promote the obvious. We are remote, and everyone knows it. It is given that Arkansas is remote, much like it is given that Florida is sunny.

Believe it or not, some of those Yankees Royal is always referring to enjoy getting away from the big city, and enjoying the "Natural State".

It is a waste of resources to deny the obvious.

just wondering
06-17-2002, 03:01 PM
You are right C-mo "Remoteness" is a great asset! How do feel about our city council wanting the great DEER HUNT this year?

sweetness&light
06-17-2002, 03:48 PM
I'm bettin' a big wad of chocolate C-mo is shaking the chiggers out of his camos as we speak.

C-mo
06-20-2002, 07:12 AM
Since we have eliminated nearly all the natural predators of deer, I will be more than willing to do my part to balance the scale between predator and prey.

Wolf, mountain lion, and grizzly bear are gone. Man is about the only deer predator left. Many of us deny our genetic predisposition as hunters and meat eaters. Therefore, those of us who accept it must pick up the slack.