PDA

View Full Version : Recovering Republicans: 12 Step Program Meets @ This Thread

Kim Yonkee
12-03-2003, 12:05 AM
One of the things that is very ironic about my status as a liberal, leftwing, pinko, commie is ... the last time I was actually registered to a political PARTY, it was the GOP. In fact, I used to be a wild-eyed, impassioned, envelope-licking, flyer-flingin', door-bangin' Republican.

Lately, as I've observed the antics of my former party, I've been wondering if I have undiagnosed brain damage. So I did a little research tonight on the GOP Platform, circa 1976 (when I was a Believer) versus The Latest: 2000.

Aha! NOW I remember why don't DO Republican any more. My, how things have changed. The following comments are quoted directly from the GOP Platform, Then and Now:

1976: The Republican Party recognizes that tax policies and spending policies are inseparable. If government spending is not controlled, taxes will inevitably rise either directly or through inflation.

<FONT COLOR="BLUE" >2000: As the one economy with truly global reach, America can set the standards and be at the center of a worldwide web of trade, finance, and openness. This is the Republican approach, and a critical dimension of a distinctly American internationalism. It goes beyond the old choice of private sector laissez-faire versus government regulation. Instead it is a vision of private initiative encouraged, not stifled, by governments.</FONT>

1976: Vigorous and equitable enforcement of antitrust laws heightens competition and enables consumers to obtain the lowest possible price in the marketplace.

<FONT COLOR="BLUE" >2000: First and foremost, we must restore the credibility of U.S. trade leadership. We propose to restrain the hand of government so that it cannot smother or slow the growth of worldwide commerce. </FONT>

1976: We believe that the extent of federal regulation and bureaucratic interference in the lives of the American people must be reduced. The programs and activities of the federal government should be required to meet strict tests of their usefulness and effectiveness.

<FONT COLOR="BLUE" >2000: We will use the advance of science and information technology to target the most serious risks to health, safety, and the environment, then put regulatory resources where they best serve the public.</FONT>

1976: We reaffirm our pledge to work to eliminate discrimination in all areas for reasons of race, color, national origin, age, creed or sex and to enforce vigorously laws guaranteeing women equal rights. The Republican Party reaffirms its support for ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment.

<FONT COLOR="BLUE" >2000: Our country was founded in faith and upon the truth that self-government is rooted in religious conviction. We support a human life amendment to the Constitution and we endorse legislation to make clear that the Fourteenth Amendmentís protections apply to unborn children.</FONT>

1976: We are in complete accord with the recent Supreme Court decision on air pollution that allows the level of government closest to the problem and the solution to establish and apply appropriate air quality standards. We take particular pride in the expanded use of the National Park system in recent years, and will provide for continued improvement of the national parks and historic sites.

<FONT COLOR="blue" >2000: Scare tactics and scapegoating of legitimate economic interests undermine support for environmental causes and, what is worse, can discredit actual threats to health and safety. </FONT>

Ok, so tell me ... does one have to be a pinko commie to see the difference between Then and Now? Back when I was considerably younger, more foolish, and a card-carrying Republican ... I *was* that because the GOP created the delusional myth that it was all about personal freedom. State's rights. Individual liberty and reward for individual effort. Now, it's Big Daddy says so, and if Bad Girl doesn't agree, Bad Girl will be spanked. (Or, I guess, shot. What IS the prescribed method of execution for violations of the "Patriot" act?)

I always say that my Republican, cow-punching ancestors are probably rolling in their graves as they observe me living with pigs and, generally, voting Democrat. But it's even worse than that ...

What must Abe Lincoln think, wherever he may be, about the defiant, radical party ... the pinko, commie refuge of its day ... you know? The one that was originally founded as an in-your-face expression of human freedom?

My, my.

Oh, and yes ... that IS a pinko elephant.

Cyberphillics
12-03-2003, 08:06 AM
Boy oh boy....most of the times when I see pink elephants I have had a little too much to drink. Hiccup.... Can we get a donkey also put up there on the icons?

Kim I agree with you, while growing up I was raised Rep and things made sense to be in that party then. When did it all change? I do not recall when exactly but I do not follow those values set by that party now. I vote Dem or third party now because it only makes sense to me to do so. Here in Eureka it feels like we are but an island in a see of republicans. I just can not see the republican logic. Ouuu...now there is an oxymoron....that is like military intelligence...or Microsoft Works.

------------------
Cyberphillics Computer Services
846 Valhalla Dr
Eureka Springs, AR 72632
david@cyberphillics.com
Cyberphillics (http://www.cyberphillics.com)

James DeVito
12-03-2003, 10:06 AM
Given the financial trouble that the Republican Party of Arkansas is in their tide may be ebbing.

george jeffrey
12-03-2003, 10:14 AM
Republican to the rescue!!!!! These are trying times to be sure, but I must stick with the Republican party. They are not perfect and I do not care for a lot of it, but what I care for, I care for a lot! The right to choose sides is what makes this country great! I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it!

------------------
George Jeffrey

frumious Bandersnatch
12-03-2003, 11:22 AM
I must be a republican... I love watching that pink elephant shake his thang!

Cyberphillics
12-03-2003, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the Ass Kissing. He looks so Democratic!

Kim Yonkee
12-04-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by george jeffrey:
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it!

George, my darling, how quaint! I believe your charming attitude went out with the flivver.

Isn't it, "I may not agree with what you say, so I will seize your computer, personal correspondence and library card records to search for evidence of traitorous acts while I detain you in an undisclosed location. Indefinitely?"

Don't worry, George. I consider you to be a friend, and friendship rates higher on my personal scale than politics. Just be sure that you have my number on speed dial so that you only have to hit one digit when Tom Ridge's avenging army comes to take your duct tape away. I'll be there with reinforcements ... yes, the kind that you put on 3-hole punched paper. I don't think it's illegal to possess reinforcements.

Yet.

http://www.geekfest.com/ubb/wink.gif

frumious Bandersnatch
12-04-2003, 08:41 AM
Kim,

More and more, with each thread, and post it sounds like you need a hug. Its gonna be O.K.

I am going back and put my head in the sand now. I love my sand box. Except when the cats try to cover me up. "Demo-cats" http://www.geekfest.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Kim Yonkee
12-05-2003, 12:02 AM
Actually, what I think I need is for the nice young men in the clean white coats to come and take me away.

But they come. They stand and stare. Then they leave.

Apparently, the Funny Farm is fully occupied. But I *am* on the waiting list.

http://www.geekfest.com/ubb/icons/icon92.gifAnd now for a rendition of Kum-by-yah. Effery buddy sink alonk!

george jeffrey
12-05-2003, 10:05 AM
I think they are all crooks! I just happen to be a Republican! I would not trust either side any farther then I could throw them.

------------------
George Jeffrey

PenDragon
12-05-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by george jeffrey:
I just I would not trust either side any farther then I could throw them.

There ya go George, now I'm with ya 100%. http://www.geekfest.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

frumious Bandersnatch
12-05-2003, 11:09 AM
THAT IS THE ANSWER!!! Elect littler politicians so they will hurl farther. Then we could trust them for 5 or 10 feet at least. Anyone up for Congressional tossing?