PDA

View Full Version : Marriage licenses

All About Love
06-18-2002, 03:45 PM
There are approximately 4 million wedding providers and ministers in town performing weddings. The computer and internet have made creating forms for most anything possible, but DO NOT be creative by printing your own marriage licenses in order to save steps for the wedding couple obtaining a legal document from an Arkansas courthouse and then returning it to be LEGALLY RECORDED. It must be recorded at the courthouse they obtained the license.

Those steps you saved them will be steps to prison for you. If that isn't enough to deter you, then consider the ruined lives an unrecorded and illegal marriage license places on the unknowing couple. Those who come here to get married and need a copy of their recorded license for health, life insurance purposes or benefits for military deployed overseas, can you imagine their pain from finding out their marriage was invalid because of a minister cutting legal corners?

It's not that hard to obtain a legal marriage license from any courthouse in Arkansas. That's why we get so many weddings here. It takes about 5 minutes to get a license and if you haven't taken the time to find out the courthouse rules, days and times they are open, then shame on you for even pretending to perform weddings.

Eureka Springs does not need to be known as a place where you can get flim-flammed and ripped off at the altar.

mothers_daughter
06-18-2002, 05:58 PM
Your right!!! And I don't think they need to be hasseled at the court house steps by people wanting to marry them either! It almost seems like a bunch of vulchers just waiting for the prey! Pretty tacky, Eureka!

CyberPsychDoc
06-18-2002, 11:34 PM
mothers_daughter, just in case your comment was directed at Jann (the person who started this thread), you could not be more wrong. She does not sit in wait on customers at the courthouse. She frequently DOES sit in the parking lot WAITING for customers with whom she has already made arrangements, and the courthouse parking lot is the most convenient place to meet since the first step is getting the license.

Yes, there are some unethical people out there, in just about every profession, but Jann is NOT one of them.

Oh dear, I promised I would not be political. Please forgive me this one foray into politics. Thank you. http://www.geekfest.com/ubb/smile.gif

CPD

xman
06-19-2002, 09:27 AM
Speaking as a minister who has performed many
weddings in Carroll county, I must disagree about the liscense process. When a couple ets their liscense at the courthouse, they are given a pre addressed envelope to send the completed form back to the courthouse. What could be easier...just stick a stamp on it and mail it. If you need a coupy, make one before you mail it. If you need one later, just call the courthouse, tell them when you got married and they'll send you one. I've never had any complaints.

All About Love
06-19-2002, 09:36 AM
xman - I didn't say they had to return the license in person, just that they return it to the courthouse. Those who require a copy of the RECORDED license that day can return it in person during normal courthouse hours if they don't want to mail it. Takes about 2 minutes.

And thank you CPD for the kind words. It is easy to be ethical, just treat people the way you would like them to treat you and provide your best service, what ever your profession.