PDA

View Full Version : HELLO BRANSON, GOODBYE EUREKA

snowdiva
07-16-2002, 03:42 AM
True Story...A friend of mine owns a small, very nice resort. He sent this couple that was staying there to the Mysteries of Magic show on hwy 23S,the one owned by Robert Kalina.The couple(man and wife)were suppose to stay three days at the resort, when they came back from the magic show they asked for their money back, they wanted to leave. They wanted to leave Eureka and go to BRANSON! Why? Because, while in the lobby of the magic show they were looking at the brochures and there were so many of Branson that they decided to leave Eureka and go there!!!! The owner of the resort refunded the full amount(they stayed one day, were suppose to stay three)and the couple left. The resort owner then called the magic show and told them just what I have told you....they laughed at the owner! The resort owner then told them that he would never send anyone there again and the magic show person said..."o.k." This is an honest to God true story. Now, not only did the owner lose two days worth of money, but so did Eureka. That couple leaving cost the restaurants and gift shops and wherever else they would have gone, money. I think the business owners in this town should not carry another towns brochures, to encourage people to leave us and go there. I don't think you will go to Branson and see them pushing people to go to Eureka Springs and spend their money here! The magic Show isn't the only one, Joe McClungs Visitor Center and The Sheridan's Buffet carries Branson brochures too. The resort owner called up the chamber and told them what happened and they said there wasn't anything they could do about it. People keep this up and you won't have to worry about the tourist...they will all be over to Branson....thanks partly to our Branson brochures that encourage them to go.

dactman
07-16-2002, 07:04 AM
I have agreed for years. Check out every restaurant in Eureka, Pizza hut, McDonalds, any and all of them. Let's keep them here? Why, they might spend some money. We sure don't want that do we.

just wondering
07-16-2002, 07:53 AM
Guess what! I am a voting resident in Eureka Springs and shop in West Branson every two weeks, no sales tax on food, no capc tax, and NO PARK TAX! It not nice for elected officials not to return phone calls or tell me to get out of town!!! Can't wait until Nov.5th. Gas is also cheaper in Mo. Yes, you can buy booze in the grocery store at less cost. Last trip won $5.00 on the state lottery. But don't worry, the whole state of AR. operates with the attitude we are are "UNDER GOD". Think about this when you get you get your pink slip and your 401(k) is worth less.

snowdiva
07-16-2002, 11:53 AM
Guess what? If you move to mo. you won't have to wait every two weeks....Then you can spend all your money there and you will like it there so much better than you appear to here. I'll bet they will return your phone calls there!

christfly
07-16-2002, 01:01 PM
Have you thought about this looking at it from the other viewpoint? I myself work at a highly attended attraction in Eureka Springs and know for a fact that a HUGE amount of people come to our town from Branson. Yes, Eureka Springs is advertised in several places such as Silver Dollar City, Showboat, White Water, and also several of the hotels sell an excursion trip to Eureka Springs. You can tell by going to the Chamber of Commerce that at least 3/4 of Eureka's visitors do a combined trip of Eureka and Branson. Several of us attractions in town realize that we need to advertise out of town and not just wait to advertise once people are in town (Passion Play, Hoedown, Jamboree, Magic Show, Caves, and yes Restaurants too). It seems to me that the problem was not your friend's guests getting the information at an attraction in Eureka, but instead the problem lies within your friend's inability to intelligently describe what activites are available in Eureka Springs, in order to keep them here. Or perhaps it wasn't Eureka they were unhappy with, but your friend's lodging facility. If your poor, cheated friend (who I assume must be new to town) was unable to convince his guests to go to a matinee, horseback riding, canoeing, shopping, train riding, putt-putt golfing, massaging, house-touring, or any of the MANY activities in our town, then maybe he should spend a few hours volunteering at the Chamber of Commerce to actually LEARN more about his city. Or your friend could realize that the CAPC has not worked hard on combo packages like Joe Gunnel or Joe McClung has, and your friend could visit the Branson tour operators and try to put together combo packages such as the Passion Play has. Recently my spouse and I both had a night off and went to see the Magic Show with our grandson, and the magician spent time in the show advertising other Eureka attractions. We also noted that there was a large display showing all the fine attractions of Eureka. Maybe your friend could talk to the magician and work out a deal where the maigician advertises his resort along with the other things he promotes verbally from stage. That is how people will stay in town, not by removing Branson's brochures.

Carriageguy
07-16-2002, 01:37 PM
Heres the viewpoint from the horses a@@, ;)

The way i sees it, we shouldnt be bitchin just cause Branson has 'figured it out' and we aint.

Ask yourself what those folks saw that made them decide Branson was better than Eurekey?
I was workin at the Village when all this hullabalue started 10 or so years ago: folks HERE used to send and reccomend folks to Branson attractions all the time, and they used to send and reccomend US customers. WHY? Cause we each had something of intrest to tourist types, each somethin different and unique, but somethin they wanted to see the BOTH of.

Well, some uppity transplant tourist-local decides that "THEY" ain't sendin US enough business, so he goes and pulls ALL of the Branson Brochures. PPFFHHTT!!!
Well other folks here start listnen to this old uppity transplant and THEY all strt pullin the Branson Brochures TOO!
Well guess what neighbor? Before too long, the good folks in BRANSON got wind of what was goin on, and soon THEY started pullin all of OUR brochures too! Hmm.
It don't take long to git from everybody scratchin each others itches to everybody scratchin each others eyes out, now does it.

Like I said, think a minute WHY those folks got up and left. FIX THAT. Branson havin better stuff is not OUR problem.
Snowdiva, you have seen the enemy, and they is US.
Just good ol down home common sense folks, like it or leave it.

eurekajoes
07-16-2002, 01:54 PM
I agree completely with christfly and carriageguy! I am a manager at a local attraction and we have never had any trouble with "competition" from Branson. Several of our customers comment on making it a single trip to both cities. However, I always find something to recommend to them while they are here in Eureka. I've never had any trouble finding interesting things to occupy one's time here in our great city. None of our customers have ever complained but seem to enjoy their stay here. It's ridiculous to turn Eureka into a competition among our attractions, this is supposed to be a team effort and it's a shame that some hard-headed people here can't figure that out.

Actually, while in a store downtown, I heard about this "complaint" with the magic show, and realized something very funny while reading this posting by snowdiva. It's quite suspicious that Mr. Kalina was named personally, but the lodging owner decided to remain confidential. Sounds to me like Mr. Frank Green of "The Woods" was taking the coward's way out. Looks like it would be only fair that if we're going to start slinging mud, at least don't hide while doing it.

Mr. Kalina has provided a lot to this city while he has been here and my business and my employees are more than happy to cooperate with any of his ideas or promotions. I'm afraid I can't say the same for Mr. Green. In my experience, he has been very difficult to work with. I hope he comes to his senses soon, and I hope other businesses here are smart enough to follow the right example.

Keith
07-16-2002, 02:10 PM
I have wondered about this... hmmm??

It seems our tourism people and their tourism people are so close to the same target audience, maybe they should have some joint efforts to see if a win-win combination can be devoleped.

As a tourist myself, me and my family often went to both on the same trip before I lived here.

The Lumberyard Saloon does not have any brochures out (yet - they are being developed), however we have had a number of referrals from establishments in Branson who have patronized our little bistro, and told their patrons about it when they learned of their plans to go to Eureka--- So it is happening in a pseudo fashion already.

Its going to happen no matter what - "how do we get our fair share, and the travelors we want?" THAT is question!

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX- limit our exposure for loss- and promote the hell out of OZARK tourism accross the board!

Carriageguy
07-16-2002, 02:27 PM
There ya go.
Plain as the spots on a cows face.
If we all get ta the business of scratchin each others hard to get to spots, then nobody will be itchin or scratchin.

snowdiva
07-17-2002, 12:49 AM
Keith and Dactman, thank you for your reply. We might not agree on some things, but, you didn't call me a coward or speak in a nasty tone. Again, I thank you. It is obvious that you two are gentlemen by the way you worded your response. Of course this is a free country and you can send anyone anywhere you want to.They have some wonderful eating establishments in Branson, I'll be sure to send all my people there, we want to share with them as I stand corrected in thinking they don't share with us.In fact, they have alot of wonderful places there. This is for you Joe: I know who you are and I have stated many times who I am on this site unlike you. I also have my e-mail and location on my profile....unlike you.Do not for a moment call someone a coward when you don't use your name,e-mail, or location. Mr. Green was unaware of my post on this site up until the minute he saw it here as you did.Mr. Green isn't hard to get along with. Just ask the many people he has helped in this town or the members on the committees he is on.He has never cheated anyone in his business dealings or been accused of it. He and his family have been in this town over 35 years, much has been done by him and his family for his town, so yes, he does know this town, Mr Christfly. I don't know your location as it isn't in your profile, just your e-mail and the fact that you sing and go to church? As carriage guy says often, Iam not hard to find. If you have anything more you want to say to me,just e-mail me or call me Iam listed in the phone book under SHARON GREEN.Face to face would even be better.One last thing then Iam done on this site for good....I simply had a story to tell. I thought we could exchange thoughts and ideas like adults. I didn't call anyone a coward, accuse them of having a cheap establishment, didn't accuse them of not know their town,or what their town had to offer, etc, etc, you get the point. Here is a little secret apparently some people don't know, you can express your opinion without name calling, swearing, OR...tearing people to bloody pieces....to all you ladies and gentlemen out there, thank you for being so.....to the rest, well, you know who you are, as we do.

[This message has been edited by snowdiva (edited 07-17-2002).]

[This message has been edited by snowdiva (edited 07-17-2002).]

eurekajoes
07-17-2002, 07:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by snowdiva:
They have some wonderful eating establishments in Branson, I'll be sure to send all my people there...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I'm very confused about your arguement, shouldn't you be sending people to eating establishments in EUREKA? Wasn't that what you got all frantic about and started saying ugly things about other people for? Oh what a tangled web we weave, Mrs. Green! And I believe anyone who knows how to read will have caught the fact that I said I live in Eureka and manager a business here. I don't believe anyone is hard to find in this town. Thanks for the entertainment, I love watching grown adults make fools out of themselves by eating their own feet. Let's try to send them to the fine restaurants here in town before we start sending them to Branson to eat.

flowerpower70
07-17-2002, 10:28 AM
Like most things in ES, this has probably gotten blown out of proportion. Maybe the couple just wasn't compatible with ES and thought that Branson better suited them. Maybe they wanted more of a 'concrete jungle, neon lights' vacation and didn't enjoy the beautiful and unique town that Eureka Springs is! I'm sorry that the friend had to refund the couple's money and I'm sorry that he lost that business. But the ones who really lost out were the couple. Too bad they didn't stay longer, they might have fallen in love with ES like so many other people do!

Mishey
07-17-2002, 09:30 PM
BLAH...BLAH...BLAH...lets all stop the moaning and groaning it gets nobody nowhere!Eureka is a beautiful little town but unfortuantly by the way buisness is nobody else thinks so.Why not go to Branson like someone said everything is cheaper there and there is so much more to see and do up there.What are you going to do here,go downtown and pay to park and look at mostly over priced items and on top of that pay more for sales tax??? Then go mabey to a show for the night???One day mabey two tops and you can see all Eureka has to offer,BORING! Eureka used to be a happening little town but afraid those days will never return...who knows in a couple of years there won't even be a geekfest where Eurekans can post anymore because we all will have to move to somewhere else so we can make a living cause it sure is getting harder and harder to do here as it is now!

[This message has been edited by Mishey (edited 07-17-2002).]

kukukachu
07-17-2002, 10:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>BLAH...BLAH...BLAH...lets all stop the moaning and groaning it gets nobody nowhere!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So---- STOP!

chuch
07-17-2002, 10:30 PM
I have seen some really great points made here from both sides in this thread but I have been to the mysteries of magic theater and seen the show and there are some important points being missed here. The brochure rack in the lobby has Branson AND Eureka represented. If you have gone to the show you know that Robert actually recommends other shows IN EUREKA from the stage and tells them what fine things there are to do here in town. I work at a down town giftshop and we haveposters and brochures that represent Branson AND Eureka. We do try to point them to the many fine things to do here in town so they don't leave. We do this like Robert does. Word of mouth. I just wish I could tell a full audience at a time about the great things to do here in town like He does from the stage. Maybe if more people actually tried to sell themselves and their neighbors like that those people would have stayed. most people will listen to a recommendation more than a brochure if you sell it well. We all need to do a better job of selling Eureka, not just that person who lost those people. I don't think the brochures are a real problem. I think the problem is our enthusiasm in selling ourselves. This is, for the most part, something we can all do something about. With the current economy we can't keep blaming others for our own failings. Eureka will succeed or fail because of us...not Branson.
Good luck and good sales to all of you.

3dog
07-18-2002, 03:35 PM
Some of y'all actually got to the point of this problem, and it isn't Branson brochures. We haven't provided anything new for people to come and see. They have been HERE and done THAT. What's new? More restaurants, churches, visitor centers, and junk shops? Sprucing up the Passion Play grounds, cleaning up Leatherwood, and the rebuild of the convention center is great,but whats new when you get here? Yes, we are a town based upon the past, but how about something up to date?