PDA

View Full Version : Change

James DeVito
07-24-2002, 04:24 PM
My new web adress is pasta@mynewroads.com. My home phone # is 363.8185. I can also be reached at DeVito`s from 8:00a.m. until 4:00p.m. Feel free to leave a polite message on either machine and I WILL return your call. CHANGE BEGINS BY REGISTERING TO VOTE AND DOING YOUR DUTY

Lucinda
07-24-2002, 07:47 PM
Councilman DeVito – I’m so very glad to find you participating in this forum. This BBS seems to draw politically active members of your community and I feel it takes a certain amount of character, as a mayoral candidate, to submit yourself to this particular group of pundits. They tend to range from the witty to the witless here and I applaud each person holding office in Eureka when they engage in this group as a known identity. It’s inclusive and I personally appreciate the gesture. I also couldn't agree more that voting is the absolute duty of each citizen. It is also the duty of each elected official.

Therefore, I hope you won’t mind my question – it’s been bothering me since the last few council meetings. Regardless of one's position on the subject, the reappointment of Jon Loudermilk to the CAPC commission was a very divisive subject. It was also patently obvious that the vote cast at the last meeting was a very difficult one for each councilperson to make – one of those damned if you do and damned if you don’t moves. Perhaps the council members were not surprised that you were absent for both votes but the public certainly was. Respectfully, I’d really like to know why you missed this vote if you don’t mind sharing and sorry if this is a tough question, but hey, it goes with the territory.

Thank you for posting your email address and phone number.

Royal Alcott
07-24-2002, 10:20 PM
Mr. DeVito, who have the Control Decision Project picked to win your seat from the 2nd ward on the City Council?

When will that decison be announced?

When will you endorse that candidate or will it be candidates so there might be a runoff so they can't lose either way?

The Control Decision Project is Solidarity, isn't it?

James DeVito
07-25-2002, 12:13 PM
Thankyou Lucinda,
For the last two council sessions I have been dealing with a personal problem. I`m sure some already know, so it will come as no surprise to them that I will soon be single.

Lucinda
07-25-2002, 02:59 PM
I'm very sorry and thank you for your reply.

Royal Alcott
07-25-2002, 03:27 PM
Mr. DeVito-

Since you are silent may we all assume that the Control Decisions Project has not let you in on who has been chosen to run for your second ward seat on the City Council and against you for Mayor?

S. Jones
07-25-2002, 04:53 PM
Sorry to hear that James.Hope everything works out.

soulself
07-25-2002, 06:23 PM
Mr. Alcott, I do not know you personally, but I have read several of your postings. With all due respect, it seems you are becoming angrier than is normal for a man of your intelligence. You should seriously consider going into yourself and try to find a heart.
If you haven’t fixed the problem by bitchin’ yet, it ain’t gonna happen. I hate it that. you have been wronged and you feel there is nothing you can do about it. Nobody wants Eureka to be in this circumstance, nobody who loves Eureka would want this.
It is a disgrace for the citizens who are being deprived of the opportunity to have
pride in their cities politics. Now, those are two words you don’t hear in the same sentence very often.
From what I understand Mr. Devito has had a rough few years to say the least. He kept going because he had too. He didn’t have a choice. And he did all of this in front of all of you, no matter how much it hurt. He is still moving forward and that is the only direction we can go as a city.. Tomorrow is a new day for all of us.
This November we will all have a chance to change a lot of the things we don’t like about Eureka and enhance the rest. I for one am looking forward to continuing to read your suggestions for improvement. . Then you will have the chance to feel proud of Eureka again as will we all.

[This message has been edited by soulself (edited 07-25-2002).]

Royal Alcott
07-25-2002, 10:48 PM
Soulself-

What changes do you want to see and what candidates for office do you believe can or will make those changes?

Change without direction is not desirable yet I have neither heard nor read of any change in any city policy or action proposed in detail by James DeVito or any candidate.

Lemmings have their leaders promising change.

soulself
07-26-2002, 10:34 AM
I believe that the scandalous behavior we have witnessed has made us all a little gun shy.
I intend to watch and listen to the candidates as they present themselves. By November I hope to have a clear perception of who will best represents the city as a whole and has a fresh outlook and ready for a challenge. In my opinion there is no way in this new world that we have been stricken with since 9/11 that any city small or large can expect things to be business as usual. We are terrorizing ourselves. I refuse to accept it. I have faith in the people who love Eureka. Who have roots here and intend to stay when the going gets tough. The people who can feel the excitement of change not the fear. So I will be looking for the candidates that understand they can’t repair the damage that has been done alone, and that knows the difference between delegating responsibility and passing the buck. My personal views have changed with the changing times. I suspect most every ones have in some respect through all that we have learned. So I will refrain from judging a person for what they may or may not have done in the past but focus on the plans they have for the future.
Town hall meetings, drop boxes for suggestions in places like the city auditorium and the Schools. It would be nice to hear from kids who want to continue to grow with Eureka instead of hearing “I can’t wait to get out of this town.” Encourage ideas for special events that will motivate the citizens to work together and we can support each other instead of fighting. Even though this hasn’t happened in a while, I have no reason to believe it could not happen it the future. We can get a brand new attitude free of charge. Okay let me put my pom-poms down.
I am a simple-minded person Mr. Alcott so please don’t hurt me. I believe when we start to pull together as friends and neighbors first instead of individual business competing against each other the visitor will feel it in the air and come back again and again. There are plenty of cities that are “a nice place to visit but you wouldn’t want to live there.” Maybe that is our nitch. We have loving hearts in Eureka that have been layered with a film of depression that will take all of us to break through. The healing power is what brought people to Eureka in the first place That power is in each one of us but it will take all of us .to get the energy circulating in order to touch more people and that is what will bring the people to Eureka who are looking for a place where they can feel safe in order to heal from their day to day pressures. You can go to a shopping mall in any city. Eureka is more than that. We know it and our visitors will know it too.
Who ever is elected in November better know that they cannot accomplish anything without the people of Eureka behind them and without new ideas that will bring this city back to life. The ideas will come from we the people.
Just out of curiosity who and when in your opinion was the last person in office who did everything right and where did they go? It would be nice to hear their ideas.

MrsDeVito2
07-28-2002, 09:00 AM
Yes it's true that poor James is going to be single again. If any one is interested in hearing the real story, let me know. This mid-life crisis he's having is a reflection of his ability to [not] make decisions with sound judgement. I do not think that the citizens realize just what a power trip this political career is all about.

U.D.Cide
07-28-2002, 09:32 AM
Please, I implore you, try to refrain from airing your dirty laundry in this forum. Ms #2. I am sure you are going through a very trying time right now, and it sounds like you harbor a great deal of hostility at the moment. But please spare us the personal details. It is your business and his, but no one else's.

No mater what differences I have with anyone, I do not feel the personal aspects are relevant.

Some day you may soften on your feelings, and may regret choices you are making now. Wouldn’t it be nice to look back on these days and know you handled them with dignity?

Royal Alcott
07-28-2002, 01:04 PM
soulself-

What any candidate for office will do if elected is guesswork at best.

In November there will be six city council seats filled and the office of Mayor among other city hall positions.

The only announced candidate for Mayor is a city council member who has said nothing about why he should be elected.

Because the local ordinance allows candidates to run at large for a seat on the council instead of limiting the vote to residents of the ward to be represented, the cost of a campaign is much higher and the sources of campaign funds pick and choose who will be funded.

It is the Golden Rule of Politics: Who has the gold makes the rules.

In the last election Mr. DeVito did not carry the second ward he represents now on the council.

I would have to go back to the 19th century when Eureka Springs was being carved out of a wilderness to estimate the qualities of town governments which got a railroad connecting the town to the rest of the world, got miles of streets built, got water and sewer mains installed, got electric power and telephones here, got a trolley system up and running, managed very busy fire and police departments, created very large parks and attracted substantial out of state investments made in the magnificent structures still with us and those that are now history.

Subsequent city councils, mayors and citizens have accomplished nothing like that record to this day.

I'm afraid all of us will listen to what is said and consider the sources of the rhetoric and of the speakers' funds in November.

curtann
07-28-2002, 01:25 PM
The Laundromat is OPEN! This is a free country (for now) so bring it on. I trust you will not be mean and nasty but if you have facts the citizens as you say need to know and we will decide at the polls.

Old Thing
07-28-2002, 01:28 PM
Froom what has been observed in recent...or not so recent...years, I have come to believe that there is, indeed, a power trip going on. It would be great to get someone into the mayoral office who does not see the position as anything of great importance, except to be an opportunity to serve a beautiful, poorly run town.

seemstome
07-28-2002, 02:43 PM
james i can not vote for you until u take
a course in anger management!

your temper is your down fall!

Mason
07-28-2002, 02:48 PM
I'd like to hear the real story Mrs. DeVito2. I lived in Eureka for a while. An e-mail for me is mason_art@hotmail.com Also I have Yahoo instant messenger. Sounds like you have some things you honestly need to talk about. Email me and I'll listen

gayle
07-28-2002, 04:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrsDeVito2:
Yes it's true that poor James is going to be single again. If any one is interested in hearing the real story, let me know. This mid-life crisis he's having is a reflection of his ability to [not] make decisions with sound judgement. I do not think that the citizens realize just what a power trip this political career is all about.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How incredibly tacky, cheap and vindictive!

oldguy
07-28-2002, 04:49 PM
I anyone out their dosen't think MR. D is on a power trip happy mushroom hunting. Ever concil meeting is a "Mines bigger than yours blow and show" Any other meeting that he goes to watch, he is going to end up grabing a microphone and sticking his face in the camera. Like he says "I'VE been working to re do the HDC with Little Rock (behind the back of the local HDC) He seem to be another CDP sneek it in keep the mushrooms in the dark tell you what we think you should know kinda guy.

MrsDeVito2
07-28-2002, 08:45 PM
Oh, I'm sorry [Gayle} that some of you find that I am tacky for wanting to tell my side of this story. I'd forgotten [already] that the people of ES,AR actually prefer to stay ignorant of the truth about local politics.

How can I possibly look back on my time in your city as anything but exactly what it was? I am not trying to humiliate James in public, but I am entitled to my opinions, just as you have yours.

Your citizens will elect a new Mayor in four months and I don't think many of them are very informed about the candidates. It's a relief that I won't now have to live in Eureka with the results from that type election. I could just vacate this site now and let Royal continue to feed you all the facts and watch some of you ignore or badger him. It's really such a waste seeing that lovely village being ruined by those who live there.

CNaturalMystic
07-28-2002, 10:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrsDeVito2:
Yes it's true that poor James is going to be single again. If any one is interested in hearing the real story, let me know. This mid-life crisis he's having is a reflection of his ability to [not] make decisions with sound judgement. I do not think that the citizens realize just what a power trip this political career is all about.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe Zickmund
07-29-2002, 12:11 AM
Oh well. I guess James will learn not to shop for a companion on the internet in the future. This individual was recovering from the loss of his active, intelligently profound, wife. Many painful years in helping his soulmate have a quality of life, during her last moments here in Eureka Springs. I guess there is validy in the old saying, "be careful when you are vulnerable on a rebound", regardless of it being death or divorce. Unfortunately, #2 hasn't grasped the reality of the circumstances for which she speaks!! I knew Susan Devito. She was a light for Eureka Springs as well as all that she touched. To ostracize this individual, based on fulfilling a void, is ludicrous! He has participated in this community, in various appointed and elected roles, more than most of us. While I have lived here I have watched this individual debate issues, and provide alternative perspectives. My respect comes, in part, from the compromising attitude he has displayed many times on issues he doesn't agree with.

Currently, we have an individual that makes no compromises. Even when he recommended a CAPC position to a restaurateur, and it was voted down, he submitted a survey to influence the city council to change their vote. By the way, I requested this document and it hasn't been provided to me. An obvious FOIA violation. So I'll ask the citizens of Eureka Springs, do WE want change? Are we willing to evaluate an individual on thier merit? Has our current leader been forthcoming to us on his shortfalls? Read the editorial in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette 7/28/02! Tackfully, an editor has eluded to the fact that eventually excuses can only lead to compromising one's integrity! Lets get with the program, citizens of Eureka Springs. Our tourist industry provides the revenue for the
infra-structure repair and social services we enjoy. To allow this to be compromised, we be our downfall. Is this what we want?

Royal Alcott
07-29-2002, 07:06 AM
CHANGE is a lousy theme for this election.

You would think at $60 an hour, Yuuma could come up with a better shibboleth for their candidates than that.

Wouldn't CHANGE mean throwing everybody out of City Hall including DeVito, Dickens and Dozier?

CHANGE is really just more fertilizer being thrown on us mushrooms by the big shot downtown hillbillies.

slappy
07-29-2002, 08:09 AM
hay everbudy
kwit piken on jd
hes a grate guy

Lucinda
07-29-2002, 08:31 AM
Someone, somewhere on this BBS mentioned the concept of a Town Hall meeting. I do believe it was Mr. DeVito, however, I think the concept was floated as a post-election event. How about drawing on a similar concept for a pre-election event?

There are a number of people on this BBS with very good ideas, strong convictions, brave souls and very deep problems with how this city works. Rather than rail and rage without real solutions, or demand “positions” from candidates such as councilman DeVito, lets come up with a “platform” or a public “forum” to give our candidates (announced and to announce) the opportunity to openly answer to these issues and topics. ‘Cause, guys and girls, I think this is the ONLY way you are going to get your answers. I keep hearing about accountability in Eureka but I think Eurekans need to start demanding it. Even before the primary or you’ll find yourselves with two candidates handed to you and let’s hope they’re two you’ll be happy with.

We have a fine Auditorium, (and in my opinion one hell of an
Auditorium Director:) This city has a very good system for public broadcast via cable. An event such as this could be organized by one of the local Rotary Clubs, Lions Clubs, public service groups, a group founded by concerned citizens, league of women voters (if they exist here) a combination of the two local papers IF they also impanel a cross-section of bipartisan moderators, etc. It can be set-up as a candidate’s debate, town hall meeting, etc. It can be produced so the event is sane, organized and very professional – NOT a free-for-all. Most of all, it could be one hell of a public service to the voters of this community. Accountability. You want to run for office here? Then put your mouth where your money is.

Finally. Lake people, of which I am one. No we cannot vote, but we can open our pockets and donate campaign funds – something which I fully intend on doing as soon as I determine who is running and what they stand for. We can also donate time and effort. As soon as I determine who deserves my time and my effort I’m willing to do the same. Don’t ever feel like you cannot make a difference. From the wit, intelligence and strength of conviction I see coming from the lake group, if I were in public office, I’d be fearful of each and everyone of you, only if you put action where your keyboard is.

Lucinda
07-29-2002, 08:44 AM
Here’s another one, BILL KING. I’d rather have an entire page devoted to “ask your candidate” for this campaign season than some of the sometimes silly columns you run. I would propose a rendition of “Letters to the Editor” wherein any citizen in the county could write to ask any official running for public office any legitimate question. If the candidate refuses or decides not to respond, perhaps the question could be posted regardless, with the Citizen posting “no response from candidate” as the reply. Of course there would have to be a reasonable “word limit”, names would be required, etc. In my opinion, this would be a terrific public service on behalf of the Citizen.

Of course, Geekfest, could handle the spillover volume - http://www.geekfest.com/ubb/smile.gif

soulself
07-29-2002, 08:58 AM
Lucinda, I think I’m in love.
Smooch right on the lips!