PDA

View Full Version : Sand Dunes

Becky Davis
06-20-2002, 11:41 AM
Anybody have info about some great sand dunes in Oklahoma. Like, if there are, where they are and what formed them?

Toad Lilly
06-20-2002, 03:37 PM
Hi Becky

The sand dunes are called the Little Sahara. It is up in northwestern Oklahoma between Fairview and Waynoka. Their claim to fame(?) is their rattlesnake hunt every year. There is not much else there. People go there with their dune buggys and ride the dunes. The only scenery within 100 miles is tumbleweeds and sagebrush. I used to spend lots of time up there hunting and fishing in the 70's. Very harsh place. Not my idea of a vacation spot anymore!!

Becky Davis
06-21-2002, 07:09 PM
Thank you. Good lord, why would someone suggest I go there for vacation? Snakes are far on the bottom of my list.
I had the vision of a painted desert with an oasis somewhere in the middle.

Toad Lilly
06-24-2002, 09:07 AM
That part of Oklahoma was the heart of the dust bowl. Talk about barren. And unless a sulphur pond (the only swimming hole on 10,000 acres-no snakes because of the sulphur, only problem was you smelled like rotten eggs when you got out and for days after since there was nowhere to take an actual shower) is your idea of an oasis, pick another spot-far, far away from the Little Sahara.