PDA

View Full Version : CDP Top Guns

Royal Alcott
06-23-2002, 04:03 PM
Jon Loudermilk is the President of the Community Development Partnership of Western Carroll County.

Charlie Cross, President of the Bank of Eureka Springs, is Chairman of the Board of the Community Development Partnership of Western Carroll County.

Clearer now?

CyberPsychDoc
06-23-2002, 07:20 PM
I thought I already said that. ???

Royal Alcott
06-24-2002, 12:21 AM
Correction. Charles Cross, President of the Bank of Eureka Springs, is not chairman of the Community Development Partnership of Western Carroll County.

According to the Democrat-Gazette he is a member of the board and chairs the CDP Economic Development Committee.

According to Yuuma, "Eureka Springs cannot proceed with our economic developemnt plans without also planning for a securing (sic) affordable housing".

Any questions?

All About Love
06-24-2002, 12:28 PM
Yes, I've got a pocketful of questions about low income or affordable housing, having seen the planning proposal, implementation, construction, habitation, decline and demolishment of this planned housing to benefit low income tenants in my original home town. That city had a budget of many millions of dollars and was always broke, as are most cities. They looked to state and federal grants. All are publicly advertised in well-known periodicals in public libraries and available to everyone. They give a description of the grant, its purpose, if a study is attached to it, how much the grant is, if it is a matching funds grant, qualifications, how to obtain an application, what is required from the applicant during each stage, length of time to completion, if it is necessary to involve public departments with private sectors, and a deadline for submitting the grant with proper paper work.

The civic goal of low income housing was to aid those citizens who were on the lower end of the pay scale because of low salary jobs, disability, fixed income, welfare. It was conceived as a way to help those who needed it on a short term or long term basis. A lot of these projects were geared towards just one sector of the community such as low or fixed income seniors. The original goal was not exactly achieved as these domiciles were built by the lowest bidder with a federal or state deadline to meet or no payment. They use the lowest grade materials allowed and finishes with a shoddy product that will not stand the test of time. The outcome of this once promising low income plan? It decays rapidly, no one wants to live there, crime takes over and grows where no one wants to live, drugs flourish and the police, Sheriff and FBI are there night and day. I know. I worked across the street from one of those formerly attractive townhouse complexes and watched drug sales and busts going on during the daylight hours. Arkansas is number one or close to being the top meth lab producer in the country. We are already ahead of my former home state.

The grant is over and everyone has been paid. Now, who is responsible for this affordable housing, its upkeep, repairs, and maintenance? Is it the city? Are there provisions in the budget for all that will be happening to this housing in the very near and long term future? Will Eureka Springs citizens become the landlord with increased taxes to pay for repairs and maintenance? Who will this housing really benefit? Will it be for future hopes of private business to attract more low paying wages workers from out of the area?

Was there a full presentation to city representatives like the council, with charts, graphs and documented research to demonstrate the plan? Were other grant required partners in place with signed agreements? Did the presentation augment the basis, the need, viability, and total cost of such a grant? What were their comments, concerns? Did the majority agree? I admit I missed the article if it was in the paper. What are the city's obligations to fulfill this grant? And if the grant is approved and finalized, what then? If these questions were addressed and answered, my apology for redundancy.

Royal Alcott
06-24-2002, 01:59 PM
AAL- The Hud grant proposal seeks about $150,000 to study the matter of "affordable housing" for Eureka Springs among other new construction projects and cites data showing that people employed here can't afford to live here thus hampering economic development to increase the number of low paying jobs.

No mention is made of recruiting nonseasonal businesses which would pay much higher wages.

For answers to the rest of your questions a letter to Charles Cross would be in order.

Yuuma responded to Citizen editorial about this lack of public information by claiming there was no need for presentations to the city.

That, to me, translates, "We don't haf to show you no steenkeen bahdge!"

With apologies to "Treasure of the Sierra Madre".

snowdiva
06-24-2002, 03:44 PM
Royal, I love it!! I didn't know you were a movie-buff...we have something in common...lol

Becky Davis
06-24-2002, 08:40 PM
Royal, I believe you are correct about needing more employment in Eureka Springs. It is tough to make it there year round.
I wished for a community college. Something to keep our young people there. There is simply not enough opportunities for them to remain.
I think there are an awful lot of folks that want to consider Eureka a retirement town with all of the little folks running around doing the service work.
Some tourist towns have unions for hotel and restaurant workers. Not that I am touting that for Eureka.
I have heard many good things about Santa Monica CA and their care of citizens. I am not really in the know about any details.
Royal, since you are fairly up on everything, do you know how they run that town?

Royal Alcott
06-24-2002, 08:49 PM
Becky-

A few years ago Santa Monica wrote a fair wage ordinance. I believe it was adopted by the city to protect the people who worked in tourist related businesses.

I have been there many times when I worked in Hollywood and used various sites there for locations.

Royal Alcott
06-24-2002, 08:55 PM
Becky-

I believe these laws were called living wage laws when they were introduced around the United States by ACORN.

Becky Davis
06-25-2002, 08:41 AM
Looking on the very neat website of Santa Monica, they did establish a living wage law with an hourly wage of $10.50 with health benefits. Add $1.75 if the company does not have health benefits. The wages go up each year as long as the company does not provide health benefits for the workers. Each year for three years.
There is also an exemption of hardship, if the business can establish that the increase will cause them to go under.
They also have established rent control laws.
The purpose of both laws is to insure that every resident is able to have a certain expected quality of life while working and living in Santa Monica.

Royal Alcott
06-25-2002, 12:25 PM
Becky-

Do you believe CDP/Yuuma group would ever organize workers in the hospitality, food and beverage, entertainment and shops in Eureka Springs and lobby the Arkansas Congressional Delegation, the General Assembly, the Governor, the Arkansas Department of Economic Development, Parks & Tourism and the City Council for a living wage law?

They are lobbying all of these for their own programs.