PDA

View Full Version : Dog Days of August

karen pryor
08-12-2002, 11:40 AM
Well folks, only 4 more days to go before the most fun, exciting, dog-gone good time around!! DOG DAYS OF AUGUST takes place this coming Saturday, August 17 from 3 until 6PM at Van Pelt Stadium.

Please come and bring your kids and your dogs! (DON'T FORGET THE LEASH!!) Enter your pets in one or more of these goofy events:
-Best Dressed Dog
-Pet/Owner Look Alike Contest
-Corn Dog Race
-Prettist/Ugiest Dog
-Biggest/Smallest Dog
-Stupid Pet Tricks
-Spelling Dog
-Ididadog Race

CASH PRIZES!!! (not A LOT of cash, but cash nontheless!)

Tom Hayden will be there showing off the drug dogs.
We will have food and cold drinks, hot dogs, pup corn, doggy treats and of course, lots and lots of water. The Dog Wash will be available all three hours.

Jann Oritz of All About Love will be available from 4:30 until 5:30 to perform DOG WEDDINGS. The $5.00 suggested donation will go right back to the Shelter.

Buy a raffle ticket for a buck or six tickets for five bucks. Items include:
-Horseback Trail Ride
-Show tickets to Pine Mountain Jamboree
-Tickets to Mysteries of Magic
-A Pet Portrait by Betty Maffei.
-Sparky's Dinner Gift Certificate

Go tour the Good Shephead Humane Society and get your FREE DOG DAYS BUTTON. Wearing this button entitles you to specials and discounts at the following location:
-Mysteries of Magic
-Turpentine Creek
-Rosalie Tour Home
-Pond Mountain Lodge and Resort
-Harvest House
-Trails Inn
-All Seasons Inn
-JR's Hideaway
-Carriage Inn at Busch Mountain
-Motel 6
-Cottages at Little Lake Eureka
-Cliff Cottage
-Bear Mountain Log Cabins
-Main Street Inn
-Alpen Dorf Motel
-Scandia Inn
-Dogwood Cottages
-The Lumberyard Saloon
-The Copa Cabana Club
-Big Daddy's BBQ
-Blues Dog Cafe
-The Cherokee Store
-Paradise Pottery
-Something Simple
-Mary Lane's Gifts (#1)
-It's Raining Cats and Dogs
-Mary Lane's Attic
-The Main Attraction
-Caroline's Collectables
-Timberline Junction
-East by West
-Mary Lane's Gifts (#2)
-The Perfect Touch

(You may purchase a DOG DAYS BUTTON at the Stadium on the day of the event for only one dollar)

There will be someone there to take a picture of you and your pet. We've got a DJ.
Lots of water dishes and treats to keep your dog happy. Plenty of parking. Plenty of shade. Sally Thackery will be giving Blues Dog Frisbees to everyone that participates.
Adopt a pet from Good Shepherd and take home a Blues Dog Food Dish!

A special THANK YOU to Bank of Eureka Springs and Purina Brand Pet Products for your CASH DONATION to the event. And MANY, MANY THANKS to Don Martin and the Van Pelt Committee for use of the stadium.

Call or email me if you would like to play with us, or visit the website at
www.eurekasprings.com/dogdays (http://www.eurekasprings.com/dogdays)

Thank again, and we hope to see you Saturday.
Karen

PS. Parking at the Stadium or across the street at Mysteries of Magic. Thanks, Robert.

Becky Davis
08-12-2002, 02:17 PM
Thanks Karen, This sounds like a howling event. Everyone should have a dog gone good time. If they don't, maybe they are barking up the wrong tree. Woof, woof!

karen pryor
08-12-2002, 02:56 PM
Becky: You must be really dog-tired today to come up with those jokes.
KP

Keith
08-12-2002, 04:11 PM
Hey Karen,

How about The Lumberyard Tossing In 4 Tickets to Black Oak Arkansas (2 Pair) - One for each show? Put that in the raffle basket! Note -7pm show is All Ages, The 9:30pm show is 21 & Up Only!

"Jim Dandy to The Rescue" ...of the pups! http://www.geekfest.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

karen pryor
08-13-2002, 11:37 AM
WOW KEITH!! After everything you've already done, now this??? Hey, I'm not complaining, this is great! Thank you so much.

Drop them by the office next time you're this direction.

I Luv 'Ya, Man!
Karen

karen pryor
08-15-2002, 10:08 AM
Day after tomorrow, folks!!!

We have more sponsors. Go to
www.eurekasprings.com/dogdays (http://www.eurekasprings.com/dogdays) to see who they are.

Thank you all for your support. It's going to be fun!

KP

karen pryor
08-16-2002, 01:20 PM
Some folks are in town from Kansas City this weekend. They are staying at Dogwood Cottages where they got their DOG DAYS discount. Went to the shelter, found the kitty of their dreams and adopted her.
Took their adoption certificate to Timberline Junction and received 25% off all the merchandise they purchased for their new baby. WOW!! What a deal!!

It's TOMORROW, folks! 3-6PM. Van Pelt Stadium. Prizes and surprises! Special guests. Food. Cold drinks. Games. Fun, fun, fun till daddy takes the bird dog away!!
T-shirts, frisbees, dog wash, DJ, people with cameras!

Me and Cocoa will be there. I hope you are too!

GMBooth
08-17-2002, 07:55 PM
We had a great time at Dog Days!! It was a lot of fun despite the opening shower. I hope it raised lots of money for the shelter. They do good, important work. Thanks to all of you who worked so hard. I hope it can be an annual event. And special thanks to The Lumberyard. I won tickets to Black Oak Arkansas. My daughter wants to see them and was bemoaning that it would be 21-up. So Keith, thanks also for putting in an "all ages" show. (There's no place for area kids to hear live music now that Clunk has closed.) So I hope the other prize winners enjoy theirs as much as we will! (and our dog likes his frisbee.)

badboy
08-17-2002, 09:31 PM
Dog Days was a huge success. There were no fights during the entire occasion, which says a lot, as most of the people there were from Eureka! The dogs got along well, too. Financially, it was probably a break even deal for the GSHS, but all were encouraged because of the great time everyone seemed to have and there was an informal meeting after the event where everyone was discussing what to do next year to make it even better.

There are still some t-shirts and buttons left and if you want to help you can pick up a button at the shelter for a buck or you can get a t-shirt at the shelter or Sparky's Doghouse Cafe for only $15. There aren't many left and this is the first annual, so now is a good time to start collecting. Carter and Lisa will appreciate your gesture of financial kindness and may even give you a big ol' slurpy kiss!

A special thanks to Karen Pryor who worked her fingers to the dog bone to make this event happen. "Special thanks, Karen!"

Becky Davis
08-20-2002, 08:12 AM
I am so glad dogs days was a success.
Oh law is me!! My dogs barked on and off all last night. Went out and looked. Finally decided they were just playing. This morning at six a.m. I found a little puppy about four weeks old that someone dumped in my yard...people, people, people.