PDA

View Full Version : Hints 'n Tips 'n Tech Support

Kim Yonkee
01-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Howdy all, and welcome to the new world of Geekfest. We're not going to know *quite* how everything works until we kick all the tires but, here's what I know right now ...

LOGINS: If your old login names & public name were different, you will probably have to use your public name to log in.

PRIVATE MESSAGES: If you have private messages reappearing that *you* deleted, it's because the person you were PM'ing still had them saved. It's OK to delete those old PM's.

USERCP: Is the name for what used to be called your "Profile." All your personal settings are in User CP. (User Control Panel).

PLEASE post tech support questions to this thread so we can all share the Q&A's and get everyone up to speed as quickly as possible.

Thanks!

Kim Yonkee
01-21-2007, 07:42 PM
TIME: You need to set the time in your UserCP. Central Time is GMT -6.

SIGNATURES: Must use bbcode now. If your sig is broken, it's because you wrote it with html.

Pam Hudson
01-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Did I miss the explanation about infractions (red & yellow cards?) and the scales of reputation?

Can I post some Joan Jett lyrics?

Can I run amok handing out infractions?

Can I boost my own reputation?

Will sending the Administrator a bottle of Don Julio enhance my reputation or my circumstance?

What are the consequences involved with infractions and reputation? Will too many infractions cause and infarction or simply a law suit?

Jan Ridenour
01-21-2007, 08:01 PM
Glad to see ya clicking around...an of course Don Julio always enhances your reputation, circumstance, and infractions...

OvertheRiver
01-21-2007, 08:08 PM
:) Hey, Pam, they're looking for you over on the pride board.......

celeste
01-21-2007, 08:09 PM
why do the posts say 1:50 - 2:00 am? i have my console set for central time...see kim's answer below!

Pam Hudson
01-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Yeah, well, there are new toys here.

Thanks for letting me know.

Kim Yonkee
01-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Definitely! (on the Don Julio) :)

You're asking questions about a couple of things I don't know yet. (Good job! I gave you a reputation point for it.)

You get reputation points for being on GF a long time, having lots of posts, having other users give you reputation points (which you click on the little reputation scale to do.)

What we do with reputations, at this point, remains a mystery.

Users can give each other infractions, but you can't do it anonymously. If you want to ding somebody for their post, you hit the infraction button and send 'em a PM.

At the moment, I have it set so that we won't ban each other. I think. But ... infractions are a way for members to keep discipline in the ranks. Once we've all experimented with this for a while, infractions can be a way for members to sideline each other. They expire ... 1 hour. 1 day.

Kim Yonkee
01-21-2007, 08:28 PM
why do the posts say 1:50 - 2:00 am? i have my console set for central time...

Every user needs to set his/her own time in the UserCP. Yours was set for GMT ... I just changed it to CT. Look better now? :)

celeste
01-21-2007, 08:38 PM
okay, next question, boss hog, i try the avatar thingy & whether from my puter or photobucket it tells me it's an invalid file. hmm...my job is to try & break things...i used to test sh*t like this...

drmartha
01-21-2007, 08:50 PM
OK, I give up. There are blue envelopes and red envelopes and envelopes with arrows. The ones with arrows appear to be threads I posted on. What are the others?

Kim Yonkee
01-21-2007, 08:56 PM
okay, next question, boss hog, i try the avatar thingy & whether from my puter or photobucket it tells me it's an invalid file. hmm...my job is to try & break things...i used to test sh*t like this...

My guess is ... you didn't follow the instructions where it says the avatar must be 80x80 or 19.5K, whichever is smaller. :)

Try an avatar of the appropriate size and, if you still have trouble, please holler.

Kim Yonkee
01-21-2007, 09:01 PM
The envelopes with the arrows are threads you posted in. The blue envelopes are regular ol' threads. The red envelopes are HOT(!!!) topics.

By the way ...

Did everybody find the forum style option? (Did anybody find it?)

Bottom left hand corner. There's a drop down menu that reads "Default Style." The other option is "Large Type," which will get bigger when you change your view/text size options.

Jan Ridenour
01-21-2007, 09:01 PM
And whenever Jeannie gets here.....or for those who want larger type..
scroll down..all the way down...and in the bottom left hand corner you can pick LARGE TYPE..

Everybody finding all the toys?

OvertheRiver
01-21-2007, 09:20 PM
I got that message, too.....but the avatar still loaded......go figure :rolleyes:

becsflowers
01-21-2007, 10:38 PM
my avatar is like, 67x 67 and I still can't get it to load. I had to load it to my computer first, so its on that, but not here. I'm never gonna catch on.... Bwahahahaha!:D and I miss my beer drinkin and milk drinkin and "up in a puff a smoke" smilies. Will they be reappearing?
CHRESUS JIST! This edit function even prints the "reasons WHY?" LMAO! (This was edited TWICE, just in case anybody wants ta know....)

becsflowers
01-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Lessee if this'll post:
http://www.allavatars.com/avatars/data/2/214Crystal_Night-thumb.jpg
This is the avatar I want. If you can help me and post it in for me I'd appreciate. I am ready to self destruct over it. LOL!

becsflowers
01-21-2007, 11:07 PM
wrong one...

becsflowers
01-21-2007, 11:08 PM
gotta have that crystal ball... LOL!

becsflowers
01-22-2007, 12:06 AM
Another question... when going to "Who's Online" and you see down through the "guests", something named "Google Spider", I assume that this means somebody pulled Geekfest up through a Google search and got in? :eek: They're having fun in "Put out of their misery".... LMAO!!!!! :D
Now it says its name is"Google AdSense Spider". What is all that? Is it Google scanning the posts automatically so it knows what kind of ads to put up on the individual threads and such? "Google" might NOT be a real person?

Kim Yonkee
01-22-2007, 12:22 AM
Hehehe. Actually "Google Spider" is the Google Search Engine indexing us. Most search engines use automated programs called "spiders" that "crawl" the web to see what's out there and put it in their search results.

There's an option on this board to show when spiders are crawling around. I thought it would be a hoot to turn it on for a while. What can I say? I'm easily amused. :)

But, yes, spiders are NOT real people. They're sort of like sock puppets on steroids.

celeste
01-22-2007, 07:25 PM
another question, just looked for some messages that were recently sent (within the last week, so not subject to the great crash) & i am short a number of messages in my profile page? any insights? btw i like the calendar feature & just added an event for february. i like goofing around with new software; guess i'm a s/w slut.

Lilli
01-22-2007, 09:56 PM
Kim or Jan, I still haven't reset my time and can't find where I am to reset it on CU, please advise.

Jan Ridenour
01-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Kim or Jan, I still haven't reset my time and can't find where I am to reset it on CU, please advise.

http://www.geekfest.com/showthread.php?t=45312

RichR
01-25-2007, 08:47 AM
I guess I missed it somewhere, but what is the sigificance of the color of the circle next to a user's name?

Aux Arc
01-25-2007, 08:50 AM
...what is the sigificance of the color of the circle next to a user's name?GREEN = Online

RichR
01-25-2007, 09:03 AM
I've seen grey, red (which is currently the color of mine as I post this), and green.

Okay, I understand the green and the grey, but what's the significance of red?

Aux Arc
01-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Not sure what red means. Perhaps "online/offline" status is hidden?

Jan? Kim?

OvertheRiver
01-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Red means that you have made your online presence invisible to the public, I think.

Kim Yonkee
01-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Ding! Ding! Ding! OTR is correct. :)

RichR
01-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Damn lawyers know everything!

Soonerfan32
01-29-2012, 10:13 AM
I'd like to delete my membership entirely. How might I do that? Please and thank you!

juniper
01-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Kim...Jan....Awhile back I asked about deleting pictures....I can't seem to delete enough to add new ones. Tricks? Thanks.

juniper
02-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Wondering why there is no reply?