PDA

View Full Version : Needed Gardening Information

goodwolve
07-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Hi there!

I wonder where you fantastic gardeners in our community get the following:

Dirt (seems silly to buy dirt, but we have mostly rocks)

Mulch

Compost Materials

Seeds

Plants

Quiet One
07-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Pardon the pun. Locally try Planter's Paradise in the Hart's parking lot next to Subway and GMAC. She does great work, has great plants and lots of good advice...

Miriam Hodge
07-06-2007, 12:39 PM
Bear creek out on 23 north is next closest....By Gaskins, Johnsons near Berryville on 62 is next.....then my favorite Is Perennials etc by Garfeild, always stop at Martin Greers candy store as well a few miles befor you get to perennials.
Good luck Dear!

Miriam Hodge

stringers
07-06-2007, 01:19 PM
I agree with all of the above. We usually end up at Bear Creek. They are very helpful and have a great selection. If you are doing any container gardening I highly recommend the hydro crystals from Perennals Etc.

celeste
07-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Plants - hands down Joanne Sorne "Between the Rivers" out by Beaver Dam. Dirt, Mulch, Compost - Pick it up at Johnson's or have them deliver it.

dreamwalking
07-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Johnson's was my favorite of three that I've shopped at. I liked how healthy the plants were and how they've grown.

goodwolve
07-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Thank you thank you... great information. Anyone else have any tips?

Southwindcome
07-06-2007, 07:49 PM
I started pruning my tomatoes today so I wouldn't need a ladder to pick them. Johnson's delivered the dirt. I order my seeds from Jung's, from Pinetree Seeds and from Totally Tomatoes.

I know it didn't work out before, but you are still most welcome to stop by and talk gardens. That's one of the great pleasures of having a garden.

Sarah Moore
07-07-2007, 06:19 AM
I've had good results with the mixed garden soil at Johnson's. Mixture of topsoil and compost. They will haul large amounts or you can pick up smaller amounts with a truck.

waxwing
07-07-2007, 07:33 AM
At the risk of being called "negative or hateful", I just want to say do not buy topsoil from a certain someone (name omitted so I don't get raked over the coals) who advertises they sell it by the yard. I bought 2 dumptrucks full of it and had to spend many hours with a rental rototiller trying to break up the basketball-sized hard clumps.Their equipment is too big and heavy so it cakes it up and they don't screen the soil. Johnsons stuff much better.

goodwolve
07-07-2007, 11:22 AM
What does a truck full... cost? Just curious.

Southwindcome
07-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Jackie, call them Monday for a price. It is expensive. But easy to rationalize. The product is wonderful. High end stores would call it a good value. Gardening for me is a way of life and not about saving money.

celeste
07-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Top soil is $18 - $22 per ton @ Johnson's; price range based on whether you pick up or they deliver.

Southwindcome
07-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Celeste, this is not top soil, it is garden soil. It costs more. And it is priced by the yard, not by the ton.

goodwolve
07-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Calling monday... I know it isn't about saving money... but when you are budgeting it is sometimes hard to justify a $100 tomato! :)

Southwindcome
07-08-2007, 04:07 AM
Think how much less that tomato will cost in subsequent years. Some day you may actually grow $1 tomatoes. A few of my tomatoes are ripe. Soon I will be making sauce. This is a wonderful time of year.