Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer with Mange?

Default Deer with Mange?

Becs was by the other day, took one look at a couple of deer in the herd along our holler & said, "That looks like mange! Ask Fawnie." So here ya go; I took a couple pics.

Last edited by celeste; 08-01-2009 at 08:22 AM.
    celeste

Cherish home and family as a special treasure.

Looks like road rash to me, they get knocked down by cars allot.

There are unnaturally high deer densities in both Eureka and Holiday Island. With no big cats or wolves or hunters the only natural enemies remaining are cars and skin disease.

Quote Originally Posted by BRIGHT1 View Post
    Looks like road rash to me, they get knocked down by cars allot.
    I thought the same until Becs mentioned mange, so I thought I'd take it to the experts, especially Fawnie.
    celeste

Cherish home and family as a special treasure.

i dont know what casues it but when i live in Mo about 6 years ago we had a heard on our property that a poacher had shot at with bird shot and a few had spots like that around the wound almost as if it had got infected.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwindcome View Post
    There are unnaturally high deer densities in both Eureka and Holiday Island. With no big cats or wolves or hunters the only natural enemies remaining are cars and skin disease.
    Current Population Density for Eureka Springs:

Deer 200/Square Mile

Humans 49/Square Mile

For the sake of the herd some thinning is in order.
    Just don't ask me to do the deed. I wonder if it's
    possible to somehow arrange for a bow (and arrow)
    season here? Anyone know? Of course we'd all
    have to hide inside for the duration or wear head
    to toe Kevlar.

BTW, a herd of deer can also be called a mob or
    a gang or a leash or a bevy. I just call them "Hey guys!"

chaffyn, you must be a newcomer? Bow hunting issue came up and was soundly defeated on ballot. The answer is NO. People in eureka are very emotional when it comes to the deer issue. We live in an urban forest--the deer's forest--get use to it.

Amazed, ES is NOT "the deer's forest" and has not been for many, many years. Why? you ask. Because there are no longer any checks on the population of deer. Deer are a prey species that desperately NEED to be culled and thinned by predation. In the absence of hunting whether by man or beast, the deer suffer and live miserable urban lives. They are malnourished due to a limited or domestic diet. They are constantly hit by cars. They often find themselves jumping through plate-glass windows and destroying homes and themselves.

The life of an urban deer is a miserable fate and ES woefully needs to address this problem BEFORE tragedy strikes such a child in a car/deer collision being killed or an outbreak of devastating diseases such as the ones common among urban deer herds such as Lyme's or ehrlichiosis that jump to mankind via ticks.

NO TOWN is an "urban forest" unless it includes ALL links in the food chain. I rather doubt you would be so welcoming of coyotes or cougars wandering into town to feast on THEIR food...deer. When we feed these animals or fail to control them, we deny them a quality of life that the wilderness alone can provide.

I have to agree with you Tues. Dad.
    A few deer wandering in the yard is a delight.. a herd of sick animals looking for your handout is not a delight. Not for them.. and not for the humans, either.

I know that the bow hunt was 'shot down'... maybe enough time has passed that wiser minds can now prevail.

Oh yeah, about the original poster's question.

Hair Loss Syndrome (HLS) has been observed in black tail deer populations of Marin County, California, for many years. When I was stationed there eons ago, the base was overrun by urban deer due to Marin's overpopulation of bunny-huggers who outlawed hunting for the entire county. HLS is associated with starvation, heavy tick infestation and obsessive self-grooming that occurs with either of these problems. Deer that manifest HLS are usually found to be just downright LOADED with parasites both external and internal and quite often carry diseases that are damaging to humans.

In other words, if you are feeding these animals and encouraging them to come close to your home...stop it.