Thread: Mums....to deadhead or not?

Default Mums....to deadhead or not?

Does anyone know if you deadhead(remove dead flowers from stems) mums like other flowers? I have looked in the gardening books that I have but I don't find anything about what to do with the dead flowers on the bush. Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

over the troll bridge in the Land of Kings

All I know is that I deadhead mums. Hasn't hurt one yet and sure makes them look better!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~it's all about choices.

You can deadhead them after the flowers are spent. It will allow new buds to emerge without being bunched up, and keeps air circulating throught rhe plants which cuts down on powdery mildew, now that temps are dropping and the fall rains.

For the spring, pinch the buds when they appear in the spring to force them to bloom in the fall. Sometimes you can get two blooms a year, one in spring and one in fall. Our growing season allows that quite often. Sometimes the blooms are a little smaller in the fall bloom.
    Last edited by Cindylou; 09-23-2009 at 10:16 PM.

Thank you for the info...most helpful. The mums I planted last fall are gorgeous, it's the ones that I planted only about a month ago that are looking ugly and need deadheaded. I hope they will perk up and bloom again...it's early! Thank you again for your help.