Thread: Hyperthyroidism

I have been treated for hyperthyroidism and wanted to know if anyone else has this condition and has found a more natural remedy to heal it.

Sir, I am hypothyroid - the exact opposite - but treated with the same pill...just different dosage. My sister is Hyper and got to the point where she had to have her thyroid gland removed...she lost so much weight she was almost skeletal.

We are lucky, it is a serious disease that can be so easily and inexpensively treated. The thyroid is the only vital organ/gland that can be completely replaced by one pill.

If you haven't already, read online how thyroid disease affects every single aspect of your body. Because of the severity of the side-effects of thyroidism, I would never try to control this with herbs.

Talk to your doctor, you can request a drug that is derived from cattle....as organic as I know of.

If there is something herbal I'm unaware of, call Jim Fain. He's the only person I'd trust with something so serious.

I agree. My thyroid had to be removed in 1997, and the doctor put me on very closely controlled medication. Occasionally, the dosage has to be increased or decreased based upon my current thyroid levels, which the doctor monitors through blood tests. It really isn't something that lends itself to self-treatment very easily.

I agree, that thyroid malfunction or failure is not something you should use herbal solutions for. It's too serious. I was diagnosed with Graves Disease in 2001, which manifests as hyperthyroid, and after treatment--in my case RAI (Radioactive Iodine)--the gland is essentially DEAD. So i take both levothyroxine (T4, i.e., Synthroid) and liothyronine (T3, or cytomel) to replace what my thyroid can no longer produce. This is a lifelong thing.

As for the naturally derived hormone, usually from pig thyroid, i tried it and it was too unstable for me. It might work for you. It's usually sold under the name Armour Thyroid.

There are many other things you can do naturally, however to support your health. Mine is an immunodeficiency condition and so i do take lots of herbals and vitamins and supplements, as well as eat healthy and balanced as possible (no fad diets)--this has been helpful in regaining some of my health over the years. Your body has an amazing ability to take care of itself if you are mindful of the things it needs--good nutrition, supplementals, (especially immune boosters) and regular exercise, if you are physically capable. There are also many support groups online you can join. That's the best advice i can give on the matter. Feel free to ask me anything else, and i'll give you whatever information i may have learned over the years. Good luck, be well.

[This message has been edited by Jae (edited 05-31-2005).]

My partner has hyperthyroidism. We've done tons of research with mostly no luck. I did find a website, Herb-Doc , which has a formula of herbs called "Thyro-H #450". She's been taking those for a week, so we'll see what happens. She will not drink the "cocktail" of radiated iodine. We are going to an endocrinologist in a week or so…but it’s pretty apparent what he’ll say, probably surgery or iodine. Neither is too appealing, but then again, neither is wasting away.

One thing that did help her some, Jim Fain has glyconutrients, they seemed to help her food stick to her ribs a little more. He's also very well informed about hyperthyroidism and was able to give us lots of information.

Good Luck with your search!

Thanks everyone for your input. I have not found much towards the herbal route..talked to Jim Fain as it was happening. I have the level back in the normal range but hear its a nodual on the thyroid and radioactive iodine is one of the best ways to attack and destroy the growth. I am not to much into the treatment down the road so I am exploring all options. The condition has my heart beating irregular so I must be on top of things. I was just happy to know after a month of treatment we have the thyroid levels within the normal range.

Hyperthyroidism = overactive

Hypothyroidism = underactive

if you run out of thyroid hormone you could go into a coma called a thyroid storm and they cannot bring you back to consciousness
    do not mess around with this
    good luck

Blondee, you are SO WISE! This is not a matter with which anyone needs to experiment. There is a medical treatment that works, and has a proven history behind it.

Please don't mess around with alternative remedies and wait until it's too late. Because thyroid levels affect the heart and other organs, it's just not worth the risk!!

Originally posted by blondeee:
    Hyperthyroidism = overactive

Hypothyroidism = underactive

if you run out of thyroid hormone you could go into a coma called a thyroid storm and they cannot bring you back to consciousness
    do not mess around with this
    good luck
    Actually, Thyroid Storm is not a coma. It is a severe form of HYPERthyroid reactions, and can be fatal if not treated promptly. It CAN eventually lead to coma, but not usually, but thyroid storm is not, by definition, a coma...

I went into thyroid storm after the ablation of my thyroid with RAI. (I was warned it might happen). I was taken to the emergency room, after instructing my partner what to tell them in case i couldn't--they did a blood test for TSH levels and they were through the roof-one indicator of thyroid storm. The coma problem is generally related to HYPOthyroidism that is not treated, i.e., your body systems shut down. Fortunately, it is a rare occurrence because the medical community is much better at diagnosing thyroid disorders before it comes to something like that.

But the other folks are right. You cannot play games with this condition. While most of us would prefer to do something more "natural," as a means of treatment, the truth is, this condition requires the help of an endocrinologist. There are plenty of other areas in your health care where you can focus on alternative treatments. Not this one.

[This message has been edited by Jae (edited 05-31-2005).]