Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bow hunting for deer in the city limits

Default Bow hunting for deer in the city limits

I was in Texas last week when I received a call from my wife saying that a large buck had collapsed in our parking lot.

Animal control was called. The police showed up and dispatched the deer which could no longer walk.

As it turns out, this buck had been shot by an illegal bow hunter within the city limits. The arrow evidently caused enough damage to severely injure the deer for a few days as it both bled-out and tried to move around with a partially damaged spinal cord. The arrow was not found; however, it was reported to be an arrow wound.

I spoke with Chief Hyatt who indicated that the Eureka Springs Police department is having trouble with illegal bow hunters from surrounding towns that know of the deer problem in town and are either shooting from their vehicles or are setting up near their vehicles.

This buck travelled across my back yard on a game trail at least twice a day. It was a beautiful animal. The idea that illegal bow hunters are most likely hunting during the night, near my home is disconcerting. I am against a bow hunt in the city and I personally don’t think it can ever occur in a safe manner without Game & Fish literally holding the hunts with an inordinate number of man hours involved.

It does not matter that the recent election passed a resolution in favor of the hunt; the implementation of a safe hunt is a logistical nightmare and is fraught with the potential for harm to people.

There have been safe urban hunts in several other cities. Don't assume that legal, trained and certified hunters will be anything like the poachers who shot the deer you found.

You really can't compare Hill Billys drunk on moonshine illegaly bow hunting at night with someone that is willing to pay for a limited license to hunt legaly. This coming from a vegetarian.

Several years ago, when it was apparently legal to bow hunt in town, a young man clad in full camo came to my front door seking permissionto cross my property. He was in search of the 10-pointer who liked to sleep in my backyard. I turned him away, then called the police. I was connected to Chief Detective M. Pate. He claimed to be a bow hunter of much experience, and stated his strong opposition to in-town hunting. He claimed it was by far the most dangerous (to humans) form of hunting, and needed to be outlawed. I can understand why he still is opposed to such a hunt. He has my vote.
    Old Thing

Quote Originally Posted by Purk View Post
    I spoke with Chief Hyatt who indicated that the Eureka Springs Police department is having trouble with illegal bow hunters from surrounding towns that know of the deer problem in town and are either shooting from their vehicles or are setting up near their vehicles.

To report poaching....night hunting....road hunting....please call 1-800-482-9262....answered 24 hours a day/7 days a week.
    ~~Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle~~

Bow hunting of deer is not the most dangerous form of hunting.

According to studies done by the Penn State, turkey hunting is the most dangerous hunting activity.

I would like to use my experience living in the "hood" to help everyone to better understand this issue. In the "hood" there are guns. In town we will have a bow hunt. Now from my experiences in the "hood" bullets keep going until they hit a car, building of some sort, person, etc... They even go through buildings and hit the people inside. So I can in no way see how a bow hunt can be anymore dangerous than living in the "hood" where bullets literally come into the building through the walls. Bullets can and will travel upwards of 2 miles. Arrows will not. Arrows are good for short distances only. I can not figure out why anyone who has ever bow hunted would say it is the most dangerous way to hunt. There is absolutely no logic in that. Even kids in the "hood" know this.

Quote Originally Posted by thebradybunch View Post
    Arrows are good for short distances only. I can not figure out why anyone who has ever bow hunted would say it is the most dangerous way to hunt. There is absolutely no logic in that. Even kids in the "hood" know this.
    The buck had an entry wound and an exit wound. The arrow was not found. Compound bows are used at medium distances. They have an incredible amount of momentum and are intended to enter large game animals and kill them. The “hunt” can only occur in the city’s green space areas which are deemed large enough to be safe to hunt in. I would ask you to look at the city’s green space areas and you decide where you think it might be safe to have a hunt. The green space areas are intimately associated with inhabited domiciles.

The hunt would be in the urban forest. There is no line of sight much longer than a few hundred feet.

These compound bows are excellent hunting weapons; however, the use of the bows within the confines of this very small city limits is unconscionably irresponsible.

They will, and have, killed humans.

This is a very BAD idea.

The safe implementation of the hunt will be nearly impossible.

The enforcement will be a real nightmare for the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Thing View Post
    Several years ago, when it was apparently legal to bow hunt in town, a young man clad in full camo came to my front door seking permissionto cross my property. He was in search of the 10-pointer who liked to sleep in my backyard. I turned him away, then called the police. I was connected to Chief Detective M. Pate. He claimed to be a bow hunter of much experience, and stated his strong opposition to in-town hunting. He claimed it was by far the most dangerous (to humans) form of hunting, and needed to be outlawed. I can understand why he still is opposed to such a hunt. He has my vote.
    Worth repeating.
    "Leave life alone. Let it be."

Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by Purk View Post
    The buck had an entry wound and an exit wound. The arrow was not found. Compound bows are used at medium distances. They have an incredible amount of momentum and are intended to enter large game animals and kill them. The “hunt” can only occur in the city’s green space areas which are deemed large enough to be safe to hunt in. I would ask you to look at the city’s green space areas and you decide where you think it might be safe to have a hunt. The green space areas are intimately associated with inhabited domiciles.

The hunt would be in the urban forest. There is no line of sight much longer than a few hundred feet.

These compound bows are excellent hunting weapons; however, the use of the bows within the confines of this very small city limits is unconscionably irresponsible.

They will, and have, killed humans.

This is a very BAD idea.

The safe implementation of the hunt will be nearly impossible.

The enforcement will be a real nightmare for the police.
    That's why all of the gangbangers do drive bys with compund bows. That's why our military is using compound bows right now in war. That's why I keep a compund bow under my pillow at night. Compound bows do not have the range of a pistol. Out of all of the ways to hunt using a compound bow in the city is the best idea. Black Powder would work well except for the loud noise. Other than that it is the bow. Although we could make the hunters do it with just a bowie knife and a loincloth. I am sure you would find a way to say that is the most dangerous way to hunt next to compound bow hunting. What I find funny is that the people of the City created this problem, and now they are bitching about the frankenstein that they have created. I think that you should be able to just walk down the street with a god damned pistol and just start taking out the herds of deer. It would be cheap and effective. A group of 10 guys over a weekend could thin things out very fucking quickly.

You reap what you sow right? The other day my 6 year old was screaming like hell outside, and come to find out there was a deer in our driveway. So I went to check it out. I got within 20 feet of the deer. It looked as though it had some sort of small snake around its neck. So I got a little closer to realize it was a fucking flea collar. THis fucking deer came up and licked my hand. What the fuck! Are you people kidding me? I live in town, and I have a domesticated deer in my driveway. Mass deer murder is what is needed. Show all of the people that make them their pets the pictures of the bloody carcasses, and tell them that this is their fault. Then maybe in the future this won't happen. DEER GENOCIDE!!!!