Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phone Solicitation for Charity...Scam?

Default Phone Solicitation for Charity...Scam?

We have been receiving a lot of phone calls lately asking for money. One is identified on caller ID as ASPA. They call often say they are the Arkansas State Police Association and ask for donations for the teddy bear fund. They want you to give them money over the phone with your credit card. I always tell them to mail me a request and I will look it over. They say they will and never do but keep calling instead. Just now got a call from a number with the caller ID of KIDS WISH. The caller told MM12 that it was a courtesy call for me or my husband and they would call back. He acted like he was a friend she said. This number was the same as the ASPA with only the last digit being different. This is a scam, right? Is there ever a legitimate charity that solicits donations via phones and credit cards?

over the troll bridge in the Land of Kings

I saw a poster about this at, I think, the Berryville Library just last week. Something about phone call solicitations from the Arkansas State Police Assoc. and how they are not associated with any local police or sheriff's agency.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~it's all about choices.

Hmmmm, thanks Deb. I think I will have to give them a talking to if they call again.

I'm leery of anyone who calls asking for money. Particularly if they want a credit card number.
    It may or may not be legit. That's the thing with unsolicited solicitors. You don't really know.

I prefer to give to organizations that I know.
    Sometimes I'm more suspicious than I should be I suppose, but phone calls are on the top of my "Damn, This Is Annoying" list.
    I have a phone for my convenience, not theirs. Scam or not, I don't give them money.
    "I don't believe I've EVER read a post that's more insightful, informative, educational, and downright brilliant! Truly, we can ALL learn from this." - - Yip's Mom

Oh, and............

My father has been deluged with these calls over the past couple of years. Apparently these charities share numbers/addresses with each other.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Yip: Dad, why did you send these people a check?
    Dad: Well, they sounded so nice on the phone. It's for a worthy cause, you know.
    Yip: Since when are you so interested in saving whales in North Dakota?
    Dad: They're numbers are shrinking. They need our help. A "gift" of $50.00 will feed and clothe a child for 6 months!
    Yip: A child or a whale?
    Dad: Huh? Whales need food too, you know.
    Yip: Yeah. All those whales in North Dakota are getting hungry.
    Dad: Don't get cheeky with me, smart ass.

~~~~~~~~~~~
    I know this is making my father sound like an idiot. He's not. Just a soft touch for someone who is "nice" on the phone.
    "I don't believe I've EVER read a post that's more insightful, informative, educational, and downright brilliant! Truly, we can ALL learn from this." - - Yip's Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Yip View Post
    Oh, and............

My father has been deluged with these calls over the past couple of years. Apparently these charities share numbers/addresses with each other.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Yip: Dad, why did you send these people a check?
    Dad: Well, they sounded so nice on the phone. It's for a worthy cause, you know.
    Yip: Since when are you so interested in saving whales in North Dakota?
    Dad: They're numbers are shrinking. They need our help. A "gift" of $50.00 will feed and clothe a child for 6 months!
    Yip: A child or a whale?
    Dad: Huh? Whales need food too, you know.
    Yip: Yeah. All those whales in North Dakota are getting hungry.
    Dad: Don't get cheeky with me, smart ass.

~~~~~~~~~~~
    I know this is making my father sound like an idiot. He's not. Just a soft touch for someone who is "nice" on the phone.

Yip I have been to North Dakota and they have some whales.
    And they like to eat......a lot.

Ugh. Now they are calling and hanging up repeatedly. Who can I report this to?

over the troll bridge in the Land of Kings

Could you call the Eureka police and report them for harassment? They are not bound by the national no-call list. I don't know what they think they're gaining from this rudeness. This is about all I could find with others having the same problem:
    http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-479-922-2198
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~it's all about choices.

Usually the first call is made by a computer to see if you are home. It seems not long after that I get a call from a humanoid.

I hang up on these calls. I never give over the phone, NEVER!

There is plenty of need right here in the community!